New site

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by bujingodai, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Hissatsu

Hissatsu End of the Road: Moved On

#9 takes you to winjutsu's dojo links - most of which are dead. :-(

Working from the top down - you get http://bukeyashikidojo.com/ on the New Jersey side of the page as the first clickable link.

Same deal...

-Daniel

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  2. markspada

markspada Banned Banned

Well, I gave the site the once-over. It at least appears to be the usual stuff, though I always find the mention of things like bisento training to be sketchy.

The use of Japanese terminology on the site is a bit questionable in places, though I'm honestly not fluent enough in the language to make a thorough assessment.

What's your take?

- Mark Spada

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  3. markspada

markspada Banned Banned

Taken from that site:

Valentine Special for New Adult Students

Couples get 2 months with 2 uniforms for $180
    (A $30 savings)
    Offer ends February 25, 2011

That's pretty sweet. :heart:

- Mark Spada

4. Hissatsu

I'll give you my nit-picky version of just the very first page:

ORLY? Many things that would garner a perked eyebrow there from knowledgeable readers.

[FONT=&quot]

Probably not accurate either. Secondly - this makes it sound like these things will be covered in classes. Which is pretty unlikely.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

Probably a bit of a stretch - but I haven't seen classes to know if Jissen gata is really the impulse for technique and always stressed during training.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

Definitely sensational. A lot sensational. Really sensational. LOL

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Really? The GBK and the JNK would like to have a word with you about that one. Secondly, you are a "ninpo" school - really? Really really?[/FONT]

=====

All that said, its a pretty standard website. Nothing really too unusual, although the picture it paints is probably pretty inaccurate regarding what to expect in a normal class.

As an aside, I've heard nothing but good things about Dr. [FONT=&quot]Asuncion[/FONT]. I'm just pointing out that websites lend themselves to a bit of tacky salesmanship. It's kind of expected, really.

-Daniel

5. markspada

markspada Banned Banned

I get what you're saying, and I agree. It is my opinion that the word usage is fairly similar to dozens of other Bujinkan sites. Once again: false advertising.

- Mark Spada

6. markspada

markspada Banned Banned

Here is another example of artistry with the english language:

http://www.hakkei.taosphere.org/instructors.html

This is the site of a local Bujinkan "instructor".

Thoughts?

I'll open the curtains and shed some light afterwards.

- Mark Spada

7. Hissatsu

She seems to be missing her own credentials. I didn't see when she became an instructor... ?

-Daniel

8. Hissatsu

My reason for pointing out the BJK examples is that it doesn't really bother me when people stretch a bit online. We do it all the time. So did Dave. It's unlikely he has the background to be teaching "counter intelligence" - and if he does - he probably shouldn't be.

With that said... meh. I don't really care. There just seems to be far greater things to worry about out there than a single sentence buried on a site that will be perused less than a thousand times over the next decade by people who don't start on this site. Hence my... meh.

Dave is far less of an issue to us than Chris Carbonaro is. (as an example). Sorry: Shihan Chris Carbonaro.

Anyway - that is my take. :)

-Daniel

9. markspada

markspada Banned Banned

There's a whole lot of other pertinent information that's missing.

Such as the fact that Sherrie Silman was, up until 2006 at least, not even ranked in the Bujinkan. She had the curious habit of showing up to a local dojo wearing a shidoshi patch on her uwagi, though.

And as for this little nugget:

"Sherrie has survived the practical application of (training) principles in empty-handed combat against armed and unarmed assailants/combatants."

If you will notice on the site, there is a conspicuous lack of video footage or even photographs of Sherrie.

I'm just speculating, but my guess is that's probably because she doesn't want you to know that she is all of five feet tall and weighs about ninety pounds soaking wet.

"....against armed and unarmed assailants/combatants."

My pregnant ass.

False advertising.

- Mark Spada

10. Hissatsu

LOL. Doesn't mean she won. :)

She is still around - so she obviously "survived"... LOL

I have a overriding life quote that always seems to fall in place around these conversations: "Water seeks its own level".

Time tends to sort these things out.

-D

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Bujingodai - I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet but some of your photos are very large and being resized to fit the page using html or css tags. This means that the full size photo still has to be loaded by the page before it's squished to the right size. This can be very slow for such large images. You're better off resizing the image files so they load quickly, rather than relying on the site markup to resize a big picture.

12. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

Ok, I wasn't going to reply, and I've left it for a while now...but I'm just itching to clarify!

I wasn't at all implying that Hatsumi is just after money, you misunderstood and jumped to that conclusion, although I can understand why...it's a common criticism that you, the Bujinkan, have had to deal with. But if you read my post clearly, you'll see that I was actually paying Hatsumi a compliment in saying that Bujinkan would not have reached this scale if it wasn't for Hatsumi's understanding of business matters.

13. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

IMO, the "scale" of the Bujinkan today is more down to Hayes' empire building than Hatsumi Soke's understanding of business matters...

14. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

As an outsider with no background in Ninjutsu/Ninjitsu... I took a look at the site myself.

After looking at the site and the video from the first post, I would most likely check out the school if I were in the area. The site is nice, has quite a bit of general information and the training in the video looks good.

As an experienced martial artist with a general idea of some of the politics and such that go on, I'd probably ask a few questions if I were thinking about joining :

1. The rank structure shows a path to 10th dan. Are you the 10th dan of the system?

2. If not, what is your rank as head instructor (it doesn't say on the site)? Who do you study under and where is your rank issued from?

3. If I join, how much is tuition and what are the other fees? When and where are classes?

4. About how long does it take to progress to 1st dan?

5. There are a lot of "auxiliary skills" - how much of this is expected to know by 1st dan? Do you provide instruction in all of them and if so, where did you learn them?

Anyway, I think it looks very good and I would stop in if I were in the area. My questions are not intended to "bust your chops"... I imagine these are questions that might come up if an experienced martial artist wanted to join (and with the cool stuff being offered, I wouldn't be surprised if that happens).

15. george rodger

george rodger Valued Member

Oh please spare us.
    Heyes had no Empire outside the USA,at least to speak of,so how do you explain the rest of the world?
    A conservative estimate would have between $5 &$10 million dropping through the Hombo letter box each and every year.
    If that sort of money is a by product of his "business incompetence" I would be very surprised.

16. markspada

markspada Banned Banned

17. george rodger

18. markspada

markspada Banned Banned

That is an interesting theory, and one that certainly would hold merit coming from someone who had not only done such a comparison but was able to do it accurately based on their skills and accredation as an accountant.

However, allow me to point out the rather large pink elephant standing right next to you at the moment:

Have you considered the fact that if you were to find a certified accountant and they actually conducted such a number crunching exercize they would in all likelihood remind you that there are any number of factors to be considered when making such a comparison....

....not the least of which would be the vast ocean of difference in quality of instruction available between Hatsumi sensei and Stephen K. Hayes.

So the numbers might have significantly less to do with Hatsumi sensei's business sense and arguably everything to do with his level of skill and understanding.

- Mark Spada

19. george rodger

Good point Mark.
    I think you could well be right.
    I am sure Hatsumi never intended to earn $millions every year,its just a bi-product of is heavenly given skills:rolleyes:

20. markspada

markspada Banned Banned

:topic:

Do you see this icon, George? I'm using it for a reason.

I am not remotely interested in indulging your cynicism. The topic of discussion is Dave's new web site.

If you want to bitch and whine about Hatsumi sensei making more money than you yet again, by all means feel free to start your own thread on the subject.

- Mark Spada

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011