new rules in competition Judo:

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Dragonfly, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Someone said they were doing this as if judo did not get more exciting it was going to be taken out of the Olympics... maybe that's not such a bad thing!!

2. righty

righty Valued Member

Do you mean Judo being dropped from the Olympics or Judo becoming more exciting?

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Good in that the aim will be to study the art as a whole rather than concentrate on the "favourite" technique that wins "points".

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The best MA tournament rule is:

- Open the door.
    - Send 2 guys in.
    - Close the door.
    - Wait for 10 minutes.
    - Open that door again.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  5. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

How will it help someone 'study the art as a whole' when it involves removing previously important elements of the art? Also, there is no way that competitive Judo players won't end up developing favoured techniques. It's just that there choice of techniques is slowly decreasing. I wonder what Jigoro Kano would think about effective techniques being removed to make the sport more appealing.

6. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I meant maybe it would be best not to worry about being in competitions where the ability to draw spectators is considered more important than the functional usefulness of the art. I think (correct me if I am wrong) that koyo was in agreement with this.

When we allow the media to direct how we train then I think it is a bad thing for any art.

powchoy

7. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Powchoy....EXACTLY.

Competition is not the be all and end all of Judo. Often to win a competition many Judoka shall "fight" defencively crouched over even using weight training to develope strength to the point there is little true use of the principle maximum effect for minimum effort.

The changes being made to Judo is to make it more user friendly and entertaining. I do not agree with this at all. It should be a contest of SKILL.

Yootube Kyuzo Mifune to see excellent Judo.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  8. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Absolutely right. I saw a book on morote gari once that suggested swiveling around as a defence to the throw, so that you land on your front and therefore don't concede the point. It completely undermines the martial aspect of Judo.

I'm currently reading Kodokan Judo by Jigoro Kano....you can tell just by the way it's written that he never meant it to be a sport.