new rules in competition Judo:

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Dragonfly, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Valued Member

there are 2 new rules in competition Judo:
    no more koka because when some1 has koka he gos 100% on defense.
    no more direct graping to the legs than it will be wrestling so no points and no punishments when you would do a throw like this.

~dragonfly

2. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Can you tell me where these rules are being applied? Is this just in the Netherlands or Europe or internationally? It is a shame that competitions seem to be directed towards getting people to use certain tactics rather than just letting people apply the judo that they can use best. I really think that you change the way the competition occurs when you change the rules. In rugby the law variations have made huge differences and frankly they have not always been an improvement of the game. I hate to think that judo is going in the same direction. Is this for TV or otherwise trying to make this a more spectator friendly sport?

It would be nicer to see judo that allowed some of the techniques that have been previously removed from competition and I would like to see people allowed to try for nei wazza longer. It would seem to me to better demonstrate ones skills in judo as an all round sport.

pow choy

3. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Valued Member

these rules are applied at the wold championships in Rotterdam Holland.
    seen it myself live (i was there).

4. righty

righty Valued Member

What was your opinion of the new rules in action?

5. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Valued Member

more attacks and a open game but i loved some leg graping throws,
    and btw i don't know if your club uses these rules could be..

but competition Judo ain't my style i prefer the traditional style.

EDIT: in the beginning i really had the feeling like om*g WHY? but after a few matches i seen it and it wan't that bad.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  6. Decision Tree

Decision Tree Valued Member

I like to spar in Judo and can use a double leg takedown really well - we shall see if the club adopts this at regular training. they probably will becuase most of the guys there like to compete.

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

A few people in my club were grumbling about the changes a while back. I'm not experienced enough to comment on them, but the I feel the more they limit techniques, the more they take away from the style. I agree with Powchoy that there should be a lot more time allowed for groundwork.

8. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Valued Member

the ground work as as long as you have a chest chest astonishment or 2 arms/hands
    and you i think your sensei will not change the techniques this is only a smart part of Judo.

9. righty

righty Valued Member

... well I say.

I was having a look over some of the videos.

Granted I didn't see any kata guruma attempts but there was a nice morote gari that got an ippon so I can't tell exactly how this rule is being applied.

10. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Valued Member

EDITH:
    oops wrong throw i my head ^^
    was this at the wold championships 2009 in Rotterdam the Netherlands (aka Holland)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  11. righty

righty Valued Member

Beg your pardon?

12. mike.Budo

mike.Budo Valued Member

Greetings each
    The rules seem to change quite often ,and the interpritaion of some techneques is enough to make you shudder , I suppose from a spectators pont of view,they want to see throws that suck the air out of the dojo .I think Ne waza should continue for longer assuming that there is some sort of contol in place .

13. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

From what I've been told, this is incorrect. I did hear something new about grabbing pants, but grabbing legs is still quite legal.

14. YellowFury

YellowFury Valued Member

I was under the impression that you still could go for the legs for a throw, but only after a previous non-grabbing the legs throw failed.

And i prefer footsweeps anyway so it doesn't affect me as much, but i do like using kata guruma and morote gari every once in a while.

15. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

I think grabbing the pants has always been technically illegal? And as far as grabbing the legs everything I've seen suggests YellowFury is right you can still use them but you cannot use them as an opening attack.

16. YellowFury

YellowFury Valued Member

I think the rules further state that you can't "fake a throw" then go for the legs. Your initial throw has to be intended to succeed but failed in order for you to follow up with a leg attack

17. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

This is part of the brand new changes for 2010 that you're talking about, huh? The koka, on the other hand, was eliminated with the last update (forget when that was).

18. Linds

Linds Valued Member

Hooray more rules, more banned techniques [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94JNu3Y-D5w"]YouTube- Kosoto Gake & IJF Rules Update[/ame]

Blessed be the IJF for keeping judo pure and routing out the unholy wrestlers.

19. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I've come back to Judo after a break of about 5 yrs. These new rules have completely destroyed my game, which focused mostly around morote gari, leg pickup ouchi gari and tani otoshi (the last one is still legal!).

This Kosoto gake ban has now eliminated yet more of my game :(

These were all 'traditionally' allowed, and I think most of these changes are a farce.

20. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Agree that it's a shame... is anyone in favour of the changes?