New Routine

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Gripfighter, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

this is true. they both seemingly have the same amount of muscle activation for the lats and other muscles but chin ups also recruit the biceps to involve more muscles and make the work load easier.
    [​IMG]
    this means that the lats are worked the same amount in both exercises but the chin up has the additional benefit of working the bicep.
    http://zachdechant.wordpress.com/2011/02/10/pull-ups-or-chin-ups/

2. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I just cant figure out how to fit it all in. I hate this side of it, I wish someone could just tell me what iv got to do so I can go do it (I know they can't, well unless I pay them lol). what about bi-weekly routines is that something people do ?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  3. Mangosteen

i run through 3 workouts a week:
    Day 1: back squat + bench + assorted horizontal pulls
    Day 2: Front squat + over head press + assorted vertical pulls + some clean technique work in the warm up
    Day 3: challenges/oly lifts/box jumps + deadlift 5/3/1 PR

you could easily adapt that to yours using SS parameters:
    Day 1: back squat & bench + assorted horizontal pulls
    Day 2: over head press + assorted vertical pulls + deadlift (last)

Studies performed on military subjects showed that those with high maximal strength levels (through a short hypertrophy program) adapted better to cardio and strength endurance style training better than those with low strength levels.
    a good thing to consider if your going to create a routine - are you strong enough?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

have you asked your coaches, if they train pros they might have a good idea of your strengths and weaknesses

failing that be honest with yourself, are you lacking in strength or conditioning, when you spar do you feel weak or tired, answering that will probably tell you which area you need to work on first.

Conditioning wise do you start off strong sparring but get tired easily a few minutes in, or do you have no problem staying the course in sparring but feel you lack explosiveness?

if you could answer those points there are people here that might be able to point you in the right direction

Also get yourself a heart rate monitor, check your resting heart rate in the morning, and your recovery heart rate between hard rounds of bag work or if possible sparring, those will be a good indication as to where your weaknesses lay

5. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Routine Revised

Week 1

Monday - MMA/ Strength and Conditioning circuit

Tuesday - Rest

Wednesday - Morning Circuit from Ross site

Evening BJJ

Thursday - Sambo

Friday - same as wednesday

Saturday - MMA/Wrestling

Sunday - rest

Week 2

Monday - MMA/S+C

Tuesday - Rest

Wednesday - Morning

Overhead Lift
    Bench Press
    Dumbell Row
    Chin up's
    Dip

Evening - BJJ

Thursday - Sambo

Friday - Morning

Squat
    Deadlift
    Barbell Row/Cable Row
    Chin Ups
    Dip

Sat - MMA/Wrestling

Sunday - Rest

any better or is going bi weekly going to make progress impossible ?

6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

try it, personally i dont think its going to work, a week is not long enough to make changes to the energy systems and also not long enough to groove the lifts in order to make progress on them, but i might be wrong onyl way to find out is to run the programme for a while

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Interesting read of that study. It does make me wonder in the world of science how big the differences have to be to considered statistically significant?

Am I wrong in assuming that there is pretty much no significant statistical difference show by the study between a standard pull up and the Perfect Pull Up TM?

8. Mangosteen

judging from the overlap in error margins, i'm pretty sure your are correct, since they've normalised the EMG i doubt there is any significant difference in the pull up and perfect pull up but i doubt the companies will provide the raw data (if there is any).
    however there could be a significant difference in the activation of the bicep branchii and Pectoral major of the chin up and pull up

9. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I might even experiment with something like

Week 1

the 5 MA sessions

one circut

weight training session 1 and 2

week 2

the 5 martial art sessions

2 circuits

one weight session combining the most important lifts from the two
    Squat