New Routine

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Gripfighter, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

starting from next week.

Monday - MMA/Strength and Conditioning session - this is a circuit the club does and it varies from week to week so I can't give an exact list of exercises, its mostly kettle bell's (Turkish Get up, Russian Twist all the basics) and some other explosive strength stuff.

Tuesday - Free Weights - 3 sets of 5 Reps

Overhead Lift
    Bench Press
    Chin up's
    Dip

Wednesday - In the morning Conditioning/Cardio Workout from Ross Enamait's site, goes like

Perform 12 burpees
    Immediately sprint 100 meters
    Perform 10 Plyometric pushups
    Jog back to the starting line
    Repeat 6-10 times

BJJ in the Evening

Thursday - Free Weights - 3 sets of 5

Squat
    Deadlift
    Chin Ups
    Dip

Occasionally I do Sambo on thursday evenings but its not a regular thing right now but it seems worth mentioning it could be in the near future

Friday - Same as Wednesday

Saturday - Morning - Wrestling/MMA

Evening - 5 Mile Run

Sunday - Rest

ill probably make one week a month allot lighter on the conditioning, don't know exactly what that would look like though.

Have I missed anything out ? and for free weights would I better doing 5x5 and switching to 5x3 every third session or something like that ? thoughts and criticisms would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

You have no rows. For that matter you have considerably more pressing than pulling.

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Lifting routine programming should cover the following areas -
    A vertical press (E.g. Overhead Press)
    A vertical pull (Chin-ups or high pulls)
    A horizontal press (Bench press)
    A horizontal pull (Rows)
    A deep knee bend (Squats)
    A pull from the floor (Deadlift)
    A weighted carry/ Extended work load (Backpacking/prowler)

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Wednesdays is the anaerobic ass kicker!!! :D Ross don't mess about.

I'd say somewhere in there you will want to add some shoulder pre-hab drills...
    With all the pressing movements shoulders can take a beating... not to mention just the BJJ alone can put them at risk. I'd suggest the following at some point in your weekly routine...

Internal rotations (elastic band or laying on side) light weight, hi reps

External rotations (elastic band or laying on side) light weight, hi reps

Standing with arms out in scarecrow position... shoulder level... and pronation and supination rolls at bodyweight - hi reps (this is a good warm up pre lifting for the shoulder joint)

Cubans - light weight... hi reps... (Google the movement)

Also you will want to have some neck training in there... especially for BJJ...it's often the weakest link...

Head harness drills with weight plate...

Wrist watch in lower back and turning head with other hands (2lbs of pressure for 2 secs. each direction and then swap out hands)

etc.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  5. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

bent over rows should actully be in there

6. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

could you expand ? I am trying to keep to basic free weight exercises built around the Deadlift, Squat, Overhead press and the Bench press e.g. most basic beginner weight training programmes.

7. Mangosteen

work push/pull exercises like in my prvious post to prevent rotator cuff injuries and stop your destroying the shoulder girdle.
    that most basic exercises include a horizontal pull and vertical pull - you should aim to pull as much and more than you push

8. Mangosteen

its also good to do pulls so your antagonist muscles in the pressing exercises become more efficient at breaking/relaxing so you can press without trouble from inefficient antagonists.
    also the back exercises provide a larger more stable base for you to bench from and are a key component in press lockout

9. seiken steve

I can, it was 530am and I'd just finished work before.

You want WAAAY more pulling movements, IMO.

Many experts recommend having pulling pushing at a 1:1 ratio many others at 2:1

Personally I'd be doing pull ups (pronated grip) over chin ups, and I'd throw in one or two rowing movements. Don't be afraid to use higher reps with the pulling (6-15 area) don't worry you won't become a bodybuilder.

Just an idea but if your doing chin ups twice a week why not do one higher reps (3xPF) and super heavy once a week.

I'd be throwing in a barbell row on Tuesday (3x5, 2x10) and a dumbbell row on thursday (2x5, 1xPF)

Along with slips stuff I reckon that'd see you through.

10. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Just out of interest what is the benefit of pronated over supinated grip? I'm wondering whether 2-3 reps pronated are better than adding more chinup reps

11. slipthejab

Both are good to get in your program... but the biggest difference I notice when doing them with the pronated grip is that you aren't recruiting through your bicep nearly as much. Palms facing you - the supinated grip recruits a lot more through the bicep which is why so many people can do them as opposed to a proper palms facing away (pronated) pull up.

Though there are so many killer variations to work in that you could easily have both in. Even in a single movement from dead hang to collar bone to the bar you could have one hand pronated and one hand supinated. Again that will torque on the body differently as well and then you hit the second set of them with the hands opposite of whatever they were the first set.

There are any number of awesome variations associated with both wrestling, BJJ and rock climbing. One I get in quite often for BJJ is to do uneven pronated pull ups where one hand is vertically gripping a sweat towel thrown over the bar (and old set of gi trousers or a gi jacket works good too) and the other hand is pronated and gripping the bar.

And below... one of the harder variations on pronated pull ups (and a shameless plug for me)... with some good old fashioned rotational motion thrown in. They're an ass kicker.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ILOOQRyNF4"]IGNITE SC - crossover chins.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

12. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I usually change my grip over the three sets, the pull up grip, push up and mixed grip.

pf ? and I iv only ever done pull ups and dips using body weight, when you say go super heavy one a week do you mean I should wear a weight belt or something ?

is there a reason for switching between the two ? my gut instinct would be to do dumbell rows for the two days because there easier to keep good form and safer for my back. Cable row machines are another option, they would certainly add more pulling, how do you rate them ?

13. slipthejab

You can easily throw a weight belt on and start adding plates. You'll be surprised how fast your strength increases using this method. Though rest and common sense are paramount with this because if you're going to a dead hang or starting there... you are placing your rotator cuffs at risk. Thus why I suggested doing rotator cuff pre-hab. Much of it depends on if you're going for maximal strength or you're going for strength endurance. My guess is since you're rolling you are looking to establish a decent level of strength and then start looking towards serious strength endurance. You don't need to be able to use your lats and upper/mid back strength in one short all out blast... you need to have the strength over the entire duration of your roll. Think of maximal strength as a capacitor and strength endurance as a battery. Both store and release forms of energy... however a capacitor dumps all at once in one go and a battery dumps over a measured period of time.

Once you start adding in machines into your workout... things change up a fair bit on the neural end... neuro-psychologically are pretty different methods of recruitment. Pull ups and chin ups at body weight or with a weight belt is a closed-chain exercise eg. your body is moving towards the resistance. Where as if you look at it's open-chain counterpart... say... the lat pulldown... the resistance moves towards the body.

You'll see far better results from closed-chain exercises than you will from open-chain exercises... err... unless bodybuilding is your MO.

14. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

It does look like a killer, I am looking foreword to it.

can this stuff be used as a warm up ?

as far as strength goes I don't feel particularly weak when it comes to fighting, in fact on the rare occasions I grapple with someone my own weight level I feel pretty dam strong. the only minor strength concern I have is some of my numbers could be better for the 4 big compound lifts, but iv never been one to get too hung up on that kind of thing. I am not a complete beginner so I am concerned with keeping up both strength endurance and maximal strength, but yea the two weight sessions on the routine are for maximal strength primerally, the kettlebells on monday is when I get my explosive work.

15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

id say you have missed a lot of rest and recovery out, hope im wrong but i see it going two ways, massive burn out and or limited progress

16. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

yep but for everyone who says this two other people say youv got to be doing this and some of this and two sessions of this, only so much time in a week.

17. icefield

icefield Valued Member

that's why god invented periodization (well not god but the russians which is almost the same thing in strength training lol)

what are your strengths what are your weaknesses what are you actually looking to achieve?

18. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

to have the cardio and strength capacity necessary for mixed martial arts and submission grappling is putting it in a nut shell I guess. what we all want to, to be doing the type of conditioning which is necessary for our sports and martial arts as well as everyday life.

19. seiken steve

1: switching sounds good, I've a massive prejudice against anything other than dead hang pull ups (military style) lol.

2: positive failure; working to failure can drain the CNS, your routine is going to be tough enough to not burn out on. Positive failure is the rep before you fail or when you still feel fresh

3: DB rows added slabs of meat on my lats and back, I was so pleased I stopped doing BB rows, I now have crap lower traps and the like, I think keeping two handed rows in is a good thing. FWIW I LOVE pendlay rows, they're going back in my programming now, HEAVY :D

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

that's the problem, your goals are so all embracing its a crab shoot if you will ever get anything done
    ask yourself specific questions:
    whats wrong with your cardio at the moment
    what is wrong with your strecngth levels,
    when do you gas when sparring
    do you feel weak at the start of a match or at the end,
    do you recover well between rounds
    how will you know when you are strong enough how will you measure your progress

the bottom line is you cant improve everything at once, so workout what your weaknesses are, what do you really need to improve first, then figure out how to do that whilst maintaining your other attributes