New Quiet PC

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by flaming, Jan 21, 2016.

1. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Thanks Crow. I'll give a return a try. I've asked for a refund on amazon. My dad stuck a pair of pliers in with too much force to try and get it out; before I could google for the super glue on a match or heated nail solution. Maybe they will be able to repair it.

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

What model is your 7000 series gpu? There's an issue with some of them where they will always run at 100% fan speed that is easily fixed with a quick mod.

3. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Thanks, mine wasn't doing that. It was a saphire 7970. With a cooler that was supposedly quieter. I think the CPU, and perhaps Memory; bottleneck meant the graphics card was working overtime. If someone wants to buy the 7970 off me send me a message.

I have asked for a refund for the motherboard - asus z170 pro gaming -. And ordered a asus z170 viii maximus hero, because it is more overclockable.

The new pc will be:

Case : fractal define r5 (That's what came up as a cheaper ft05 and the reviews sounded good, I really like the look of it. Nice and simple - like me)

Motherboard : asus viii hero

CPU : i5 6600 (I was going to go for a 6500 but the overclocking ability seems worth it)

CPU cooler : artic xtreme rev 2.0

Memory: Hyper X Predator ddr4 3000mhz (I hope I don't have trouble with these. There supposed to be compatible but there are lots of people having trouble with getting ddr 4 ram working properly)

Should I update my motherboards bios when I get it? I've read it's risky to try an update a bios.

Graphics card: msi gtx 970 twin frozr

HDD: 2 old SATA 1TB drives. One of which is full of things I've downloaded. I never thought I'd fill a TB when I was at school. I've been convinced to buy ssd but I'm wandering about what size to get. I think I'll only install a few games one minute, then I think but it would be nice to install all the games on it. The motherboard has a pcie mode socket which I think is faster than normal ssd's. I'll have to research. I'd choose a pcie ssd if it was considerably faster compared to its cost.

PSU: 750W be quiet

4. flaming

flaming Valued Member

The motherboard was taken back today an I've been given a refund. Thanks Crow I didn't think they would. In the manual it says the warranty is void if the cpu mounting tool* is missing. Which made me feel anus was very strict or something. Apparently my parcel went to Dundee today. So I don't know who looked at it. I know amazon is supposed to be unethical to use but its great for delivery speed, price, returns. I think its tax avoidance or maybe something to do with Israel.

*Piece of plastic; accompanied by extremely rubbish instructions IMO, people complain about IKEA's but these where really bad.

I cancelled my order for an 240 gb ssd because not many games will fit. But in hindsight I'll probably get a 480gb in a years time for the price of a 240 gb ssd today. Usually if I like a single player game I only play that until I'm finished.

5. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Amazon will give you a refund on near enough anything. (Especially within the first 14-30 days) no questions asked. I've had monitors from them where dead pixels appeared after a couple of weeks or so (only 3 or so) and I wasn't happy. They didn't even ask me any questions, just asked if it was faulty. Sent me a new one on a next day delivery and arranged a pickup for the one I already had. Also, I had a Kingston Hyper X headset, which after 7 months or so the mic wasn't working anymore, I called Amazon to ask about warranty information. They advised me they can issue me a refund and allow me to place an order for a newer one. (By this time it was £15 cheaper) and I got credit with them and a brand new one sent out, again collection.

This is why for electronics I tend to stick with Amazon.

6. flaming

flaming Valued Member

My new pc is working great so far.

A friend wants a new pc for £500/$730. They have a monitor.