New pair of Nunchaku, where to learn from?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by TaeAno, Jan 30, 2011.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Shucks, I was hoping one of the vids would be a figure skater using chucks on ice. :(

2. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Newbie

Is this close enough?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n432rT3CxlE"]YouTube - Nunchaku On Ice by Gomartgo[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYd9HqlPn0w"]YouTube - Mathieu Rogez Fun with in-line skate and nunchaku[/ame]

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  3. nico storm

nico storm Valued Member

Um not really, firstly if its a dance, its not martial art. It might be a performance art, and I have no issue with people doing it, but it is not martial art. He might well be very talented at twirling them around, and has far more ability in the area of acrobatics than the majority of traditional martial artists. But this doesn't change the fact that the demonstration is not MARTIAL ARTS. It is flashy, contrived bull, with no purpose other than to look better than the next guy. Your art world analogy does not work for me, at least the way you are presenting it.

If you look at the reams and reams of genuine martial arts out there they vary massively. Who's to say what is good or bad? Who's to say what is best. What these guys are doing though is a childs drawing on their parents fridge door, done for amusement, from a position of ignorance. It might look good, but there is no substance!

IMO!

4. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Newbie

Nunchaku don't strike me (no pun intended) as a very effective weapon.

I would much rather have a staff - even with limited skill a staff could
    be used to entangle nunchaku.

5. nico storm

nico storm Valued Member

Now that's really a very different argument, my previous post stands if it be XMA sword, bo, jo, tonfa, or what ever weapon they think is cool at the time, verses a genuine practitioner.

6. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Newbie

What about the (perhaps remote) possibility that they are also genuine
    practitioners?
    In other words, they do freestyle as a non-martial art form, but also
    do it in the martial arts style (separately).
    Sort of like a motocross rider who races and does FMX as well.

I know that watching them do freestyle may not show their ability
    with it as a weapon, but would it rule out the possibility that they
    enjoy and are skilled in both?

Wasn't Bruce Lee sort of like that - he did flashy moves for Hollywood,
    but knew how to use the nunchaku as a weapon as well.

7. nico storm

nico storm Valued Member

Im not going to say that this isn't a possibility, Im sure that there is someone out there that might fit the bill, but on the whole, serious practitioners of martial arts are just that, serious practitioners, and wouldn't want to sully their chosen art by reducing it to a mere parlour trick.