New pair of Nunchaku, where to learn from?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by TaeAno, Jan 30, 2011.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No, no. I agree. Some of the videos were funny. The somersault one is hysterical. And even the unintentionally funny ones are fair game, in a way. It was the OP dropping out of the thread and removing the video in question that bothers me.

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I dunno Bruce. I think, percentage-wise, MAP does very well at meeting the need you describe. Your own thread on martial arts and business got what I'd consider a very good amount of thoughtful insights. Sure, it also got some meaningless noise. But any collection of people in any format is going to suffer from a certain amount of that.

Believe me, I've spent a good amount of time on quite a few forums. There's a reason I've been at MAP for so many years. It does have a reputation as the place to go for the straight dope.

Stuart

3. HempStCrew Don

HempStCrew Don Grammar Nazi

Do you really have a problem with people that free style chucks?...since you did not clarify what you found funny, and you had the same views on another chuck thread, I would have to assume thats the reason you showed up to another thread without posting anything relavant to the topic on hand.

To the OP, I share some of the same views you. I view modern chuck training to be nonexistence, so I created my own free style that works well for me. It has taught me how to create power with the chucks without hurting myself and those around me...not once have I lost control of my chucks and hurt anyone. [only myself, and ALWAYS on my elbow...never hit my family jewels yet, or my head]

Free style chucks is a great workout. I practice alot of footwork while I swing my chucks. I have pracitced some controlling the recoil from a chuck attack, but have not found a surface I feel comfortable really letting loose on...I love my speed chucks and dont want to damage them.

I use to do alot of twirling over my hands, but found it too showy and now stick to a Bruce Lee style more or less.

As you have said already, I find chucks to be a great workout for creating power, speed, and conditioning and hand cordination...and the way I work in footwork its a perfect all around exercise for me. Chucks FTW!!!

Its a shame alot of people like to instantly tell others they are doing something wrong just because its not the official or original way of doing things. I for one, have never been one for the traditional ways...I like to search and find my own path.

There is not one way to do anything, and telling someone there is a certain way they must learn is just ignorant. Keep you mind open, learn from everything and everyone.

Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Keep it positive, peace

4. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Need I say more.

No.

Thank you.

5. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

I bow to your greater experience. Thanks.

BTW: Are there still books available on the use of Chucks? I'm thinking its been a while since I have seen anything along the lines of what was out decades ago when Bruce Lee was all the rage.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

6. HempStCrew Don

you have yet to post anything related to the topic, so yes, you do need to say more. Dont just troll others threads cause you disagree with how they train.

Im putting you on block. You seem to be one of those trolls that like to post off topic remarks that start flame wars. I like this forum and I dont feel like getting banned already.

Thanks for being completely useless with your off topic snide remarks. I dont think anything you could ever say would be of any use to me...we come from different ways of life.

Just try to remember there is more than one way to do something. Different strokes for different folks. Try to help people by offering your view on things and not just saying the way they have been doing it is wrong.

Remember...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeglesB0qDk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeglesB0qDk[/ame]
    peace

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  7. Shinobi-son HSC

Shinobi-son HSC Valued Member

Not sure if anyone knows, but this was an audition tape to a movie called Afro Ninja. Stupid and low budget, and not really that good to watch.

I still agree though, very funny and enjoyable.

Back to the questions though, I practice, taught myself, and though I beat my elbows to death with my fancy spins, am not to bad with a pair of nunchucks. Keep practicing and you should get better.

8. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Fressstyle 'chucks':

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdQi6lZaMIE"]YouTube - Nunchaku Freestyle[/ame]

Ryukyu Kobujutsu Maezato no Nunchaku:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV3o4hzvjEE"]YouTube - Kata MAEZATO NO NUNCHAKU by Nakamoto Masahiro, hanshi 10th dan[/ame]

I know which one I would rather be involved in (or just watching from the sidelines).

9. HempStCrew Don

and I prefer freestyle, different stroke for different folks:D

10. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Works for you, in what context?

As a gymnastic endeavour?

I can imagine it is a dam good workout. :cool:

How does your footwork relate to the rest of your practice? Could you give us a run down of how it relates to power generation, distancing etc.

Why did you have a problem with it being too showy? What's your overall intent/aim for your practice?

What context are you creating power for? What is your aim for building your co-ordination?

Sorry for all the questions I'm just curious about your practice and what your aims are.

:cool:

Very good but as far as combative applications go just how do you find your own path?

Somethings are just wrong especially from a combative point of view. Artistic interpretation? Fine what ever floats your boat but once you treat a weapon as a weapon then certain principles are universal and need to be adhered to.

There are lots of right ways but also lots of wrong ways and thinking that you are doing something right just because it's your way or your truth is misguided, imo.

In fact I will go so far as to say that ignoring the actual methodology that was developed for the use of and training in these weapons is ignorant. How do you develope correct application by "freestyle"?

I'm genuinly interested in this could you please explain?

Assassin's Creed fan a?

Me too but it's probably not the best thing to use to bolster an argument focusing on weapon usage.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  11. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Er, no I don't.

I can however point you in the direction of the sense of humour bank, I'm sure they'll be able to exchange yours which has failed.

Have a nice day.

12. Dean Winchester

Not bad with a pair?

Ok in what way?

This is the crux of many of these discussions.

From an athletic or gymnastic point of view then great go for it but how about actually using one from a martial point of view?

Does your self assessment cover that area and if so what have you done to come to this conclusion?

I’m not being funny or anything I’m genuinely interested in hearing people’s views on weapon usage.

I’d be happy to discuss the various combative elements of your practice and how you train them.

13. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

I refer you back to my two videos - one combative, one not. One uber cool/flash, one hard work. One worthy of study, one just there to bolster kudos and coolness points.

14. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Personally I also think I'm pretty good with a pair. I can make them do what I want in terms of controlling their tradectory. I can strike in various different ways from a variety of angles with a with a great deal of force while staying mobile. I can hit a punch bag full power over and over again pretty fast and control the bounce back.

Given you can't spar with them very easily, what in your opinion is a good test of ones martial capabilites with a pair of nunchucks?

15. Dean Winchester

Generally speaking now and keeping in mind that we're talking about this is relation to self teaching.

Paired application!

From a paired practice pov against someone who knows the weapon and is more skilled.

Even in kata the senior can lead and test the junior altering timing, distance and even incorporating feints.

Solo practice is good for physical attribute development and focusing on your own body mechanics but against a moving opponent is where the application is.

There is of course solo kata in certain arts but the key here is understanding the kata, what it teaches and why.

The angles you move off at and why, where you are striking etc and how the whole form relates to applying the skills it teaches against another person.

Keep in mind though that a kata has a direct relation to its parent system and everything else within it, it's not a solo entity and will have developed for specific reasons and purpose.

This is world apart from trial and error of teaching yourself. If you look at solo forms they have meaning and application they've, generally, also undergone a process of development.

This isn't really something you can say for self teaching.

Can you control the weapon?
    Is your grip correct? Not just are you holding it but is the manner in which you are holding it correct for the intended use?
    Can you generate sufficient power whilst still being balanced?
    Are you leaving yourself open in someway when using them? Over striking for example.
    Are you aware of distance control and engaging at an appropriate distance?
    Are you using the weapon fully or are you neglecting whole aspects of its application?
    People mention hand co-ordination but what about the rest of the body?

Then there's things like timing, strategy etc

All of this has a direct relation to using the weapon against another person.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  16. HempStCrew Don

I am very busy at work, but I will do my best to reply to your questions. My answers are in bold.
    As I stated before, I practice chucks because its an amazing workout for me. Its a great way to zone out after a bad day. I maybe dont know traditional methods, but I know mine are effective for what I am using them for.

17. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

18. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Newbie

I was curious, so I did a search:
    Amazon.com: nunchaku: Books

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  19. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

20. Dean Winchester