New pair of Nunchaku, where to learn from?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by TaeAno, Jan 30, 2011.

1. TaeAno

TaeAno Certified Ninja

So I've been practicing with Nunchaku for about a year now. Until today, i've been practicing with foam chucks that I got from the Taekwondo dojo. I now have a pair of black wooden nunchaku which I like very much.
    Problem is, I don't attend my Taekwondo school anymore due to money issues and I don't have any great sources to learn skills from. So I guess I have 3 options.

1.Books (If you recommend any books please tell me)
    2.Videos (Youtube, and whatnot)
    3.Look for an instructor (Probably won't happen, can't find one and can't afford)

So if anyone can find me some good help that would be great :)

Here is the pair I got:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JanJanDim?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/HoCtVVTtbmo

2. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

3. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

If you've learned some technique with the practice weapon at the dojang, there's no reason not to practice what you've learned there at home.

Have you considered asking your instructor, perhaps calling him up or sending him an email on what you could best do given that you can no longer attend class?

Learning through media is technically possible for some arts, but is rarely ever anything remotely optimal.

As for specific video resources, unfortunately I can't help there; Korean-style jyel-bong instructional videos aren't very common AFAIK.

4. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I think nunchucks are one of those things you can get good at just with practice and watching films to learn new tricks. I went through a phase of using them and got pretty good, and I was basically self taught. In fact I got them off the wall for the first time in about a year the other day and I can still use them quite well, nunchucks are fun :)

I used to watch clips of Bruce Lee a lot, and keep pausing them to see what he's doing. This video might give you some ideas as well. Diaz is such an annoying talented guy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrYanfHbqjo"]YouTube - MiddleEasy.com | Watch this video of Nick Diaz going into beast-mode with a pair of nunchucks[/ame]

5. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

BTW is that you in the vid? You aren't bad already. One to add would be attacking from when its held under your arm. Just lift your elbow slightly and swing it straight out and down and back under your arm again. I used to think of it like a jab.

6. TaeAno

TaeAno Certified Ninja

Yeah that's me, some of those moves were basically basics learned from my dojang and watching videos of Bruce Lee. I don't really know any forms so I just try freestyling and mixing up basic techniques.

And thanks for the tip, I guess watching other peoples moves online can help me learn new techniques :cool:

7. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Hmmmm, methinks there is a massive difference between majorette nunchaku twirly-goodness and combative nunchaku waza.

8. Mr.Black

Mr.Black Valued Member

I bought Nunchaku too. For fun and decoration more, i am not planning to deeply study and learn that weapon.

First we have no reason to use it i think, we have much bigger choice of weapons then villagers who transformed their working tool to weapon.

And second i think Nunchaks are hard to learn without master instructions. You can always try repeating moves and by time it will be cool and flashy, but not much of usable weapon.

However, this is my Nunchaku:

http://www.pride.hr/images/thumbs/0000890_248.jpeg

9. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

That is not the correct way of using a nunchaku.
    It's just flashy twirling and copying what has been done in movies with the nunchaku.

There are no combative movements here.
    With a nunchaku, you can gouge, club, choke, block and of course swing.
    As Scott has said, this is just mere majorette twirling.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  10. ScottUK

It is. Look how effective they were in Han's underground lair.

11. Kogusoku

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsEZ2lpM0Yw"]Oh yes.....[/ame]

12. Kogusoku

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg0FT-1YcmA"]And Again![/ame]

13. ScottUK

Quite enjoyed this...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV3o4hzvjEE"]YouTube - Kata MAEZATO NO NUNCHAKU by Nakamoto Masahiro, hanshi 10th dan[/ame]

14. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

See its that cocky wink that did him in haha.
    I like the way he continues with the routine as he exits the stage into unconciousness :)

15. Kogusoku

16. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Steve, Scott.

This one is for you gents :evil:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHiPiyNIV0s&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]YouTube - Nunchaku and Tonfa[/ame]

17. Dean Winchester

Double post

18. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Meh, I think you chaps are a little precious about this. I use them in a similar way and could definitely use them for real if I had to, although practicing on a punchbag also helped a great deal.

I think most or all 'traditional' forms for them are probably modern in origin anyway.

The best thing about nunchucks training is the co-ordination, conditioning and handspeed benefits, not the possibility of having to use them in real life anyway. Because frankly, thats never likely to happen.

19. Dean Winchester

If you are going to train in something then why not do it correctly?

Fair enough if you're using them to build co-ordination etc but the problem comes when this type of thing gets mixed up with actual training.

Yeah you could smack someone round the head but as you say what's the point? To me if you are going to learn how to use a weapon then why not make sure you do a good job of it?

Personally I think too many people have a shoddy attitude when it comes to weapons training which is why there's so much BS out there and so called "experts" teaching dangerous practices.

If you saw someone training poorly in the disciplines you study, or related disciplines, wouldn't you want to guide them onto the correct path?

Finally have you thought that by undertaking correct training in the weapon you may actually receive more benefits than just muddling through on your own?

If you follow the process that was intended to develop an individuals ability to use the weapon in a combative setting then perhaps it might actually include methods for developing physical attributes along with skills?

Power generation, targeting, speed, balance etc etc

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  20. Dean Winchester

Not wishing to come across as sounding off now :) but how have you reached this conclusion?