New online video project

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by klaasb, Oct 29, 2008.

1. klaasb

klaasb ....

Hi everybody,
    my younger HKD brother, Ko Sehwan, has started a new project on youtube. His plan is to explain a basic technique every two weeks.
    His English is limited, so everything happens in Korean. Still it might be interested to watch.
    Last night we uploaded the first video, in which he talks about the forward roll.

http://www.youtube.com/sangmumunju

2. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

Very nice. He breaks down the techniques very well and even in Korean it's very clear to what he is getting at. One thing, I was always taught never to fall directly backwards onto your spine as he seems to demonstrated on the backward fall video. When he rolls back he rolls directly onto his spine.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ca_ig0szy8"]YouTube - 02: Soft backward fall (ìš°ëšœê¸°ì‹ í›„ë°©ë‚™ë²• ; tumbler)[/ame]

3. klaasb

klaasb ....

Actually he first absorbs the fall by placing one leg after the other. The back leg acts as the absorber.

How can you do a back fall without your spine eventually touching the ground?

4. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

Roughly at about 2:44 during the 1st 'hard' clothesline you can see his upper spine hit fairly hard. His head bounces off the ground as well.

A slight turn to the free side and absorb the impact on the trapezius and the latissimus dorsi as opposed to the spine. Note I said 'directly'. Your spine will come in slight contact but a slight shift to either side will concentrate the impact energy on muscles as opposed to bone.

Note: This is for a non-slap rear breakfall.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  5. klaasb

klaasb ....

The technique as shown around 2:44 is 100% correct, I agree.
    Again, by placing one foot behind the other, you actually role on that side of your back. Not over the middle. Although it might seem that way in the video, it is mostly one half of your back that touches the ground.

6. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

Perhaps I was unclear. Imho I wouldn''t say that a breakfall where your head bounces off the ground is 100% correct. We can't all be perfect 100% of the time. I would wager that any Master (and him) knows not to have his head hit. I know that even if I know not to have my head hit when I'm doing a back breakfall I know that once in awhile it does. If I were posting a video of this technique I personally would retape and edit the video to reflect the correct way (i.e. keeping the head tucked) and not the rare time my head bounces. Again this is just imho.

I see. As you said it doesn't seem that way in the video.

I've been playing around with making some personal DVD's for my own training (helps me with keeping the techniques fresh in my memory). What I generally do is record the technique a minimum of 3 different times. I then watch them on my computer and choose which one seems the most 'perfect' example of how to do the technique. Then I keep that one for training purposes and delete the ones that aren't so 'perfect'. Just an idea. :)

Looking forward to more techniques. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  7. klaasb

klaasb ....

Hi MaxG, I ment 'technique isn't 100%..', my bad spelling. Sorry.
    I don't know if it is this video or the previous one, but he mentions that in falling you should always protect your head from hitting the ground.
    All editing was done by me. So again. My fault ;)

We shot 15 clips in less than two days. All editing was done after I returned home.
    Thanks for your input.

8. klaasb

klaasb ....

A new clip was added. This time master Ko Sehwan talks about the heel high kick.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTWwZr6YvaE"]YouTube - 03: Heel high kick (뒤꿈치차올리기)[/ame]

9. karma

karma Valued Member

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  10. klaasb

klaasb ....

1. I presume you don't speak Korean, so I also presume you don't understand his explanation. In the clip he explains why this kind of kick is important and what it is supposed to teach you. By practicing this kind of kick often, you flex your hips and so it prepares you for the other kicks that come.
    We learn this kick before any other kick. Before kicks that others would call basic kicks like the front kick, side kick and roundhouse kick.

2. If you follow physics you don't have to pull back your leg, gravity will do that for you. ;) But of course, styles may differ.
    The kick is an upward kick, so the power is there were it needs to be, upward.
    If you have a good explanation why he would have to pull back his leg, I am all ears.

3. If you would read through the comments, you would learn that I explained that the back fall happens on one side of the back.
    Also, this is NOT the standard back fall, where you hit the floor with both arms. It is a softer version where no hitting of the floor takes place.
    Meaning it is a fall done in certain circumstances, just as the ordinary back fall can only be used in certain circumstances.
    Give it a try, it might help you.

11. dortiz

dortiz Valued Member

Klaas,
    they are great videos thanks. Seems some folks confuse ax kicks with heel kick. Soft back fall was shown just like I would use it. vacuum throw where you come down almost in between side fall and traditional backfall. Rolling back favoring one side slightly.

Thanks,

Dave O.

12. klaasb

klaasb ....

That would explain the confusion.

13. karma

karma Valued Member

hmmmm, let's not presume i do not speak korean or that i did not understand what he was saying. what is he trying to teach me ? a movement is only important if you take it through it's full range of movement. he is talking about strengthening the hip and leg area. if you are going to strengthen the hip girdle and leg, then a proper excercise taking the intended target through it's full range of movement is going to strengthen it. not only do you need to strengthen the surrounding hip and leg area, but all its stabilizers also. if the muscles contract to project the leg up, then its antagonistic muscles must contract to perform the oppsosite range of movement.
    as for as gravity pulling your leg back, well, if you hit someone, i suppose gravity is going to pull you arm back to you? i wish each attacker had that line of thought. it would be a lot easier to defend against someone that slow. or better, if he were lying flat, you would not even need to punch him, why gravity would pull your arm right down to him.
    all i was saying is that the kick wasn't correct, no matter how many people want to pat him on the back for giving a great effort at being on you tube. i did not mean to offend you or anyone else with my post.
    as far as his back fall goes, lets see....... his spine hit the ground( which is a no no, i do not care what anyone says, hit your sinal cord on a small rock, break it and tell me from the wheel chair the fall was still ok), his head bounces off the floor( which in my humblest of opinions should also NEVER NEVER happen ). remember when the softballs were changed to those rubber softballs to reduce head injury, but even more trauma cases popped up because they found that the bounce from the rubber softball after it impacted the head did more damage than the ball just hitting the head? the damage would be bad enough when your head hit the floor, but that bounce could leave ya drooling and having to have a nurse change your diaper. lastly, watch how his foot tucks under him and the position of his ankle at the moment of impact. had a friend in high school got hit during a football game and he fell just exactly like that guy with his foot under him... they had to pin his ankle up. dortiz can pat you on the back and tell you i am an idiot or whatever, but the fact remains, as for as instructional quality, he needs to review his material before posting it for everyone to see. you and dortiz can sit and rebut me all day.... but i ain't the one in the video and a picture is worth a thousand words.
    there are only so many ways to kick, heck, there are only 3 techniques ANY martial arts has, they need to be employed in his kicking (whether he is kicking or teaching a strengthening excercise). if you have a side kick, that side kick should be consistant throughout what you do. all too often i see students ( black belts included) that have one type of side kick for forms, one type for sparring, one type for kicking a heavy bag, one type for.............. well you get the point. he should have one side kick. it should follow the same principle of a side kick no matter what he or she is doing.
    and, why do you slap when you do nak bub ?

14. klaasb

klaasb ....

There is only so much you can explain in one clip.
    The clip teaches this particular kick. A side effect is that loosens up the hips.
    My experience is that this is true. That's why I practice and teach this technique.
    Your mileage may vary.

As far as the reviewing goes, you have a point.

You are obviously much better at expressing yourself in this discussion (I am not a native speaker and have to look up some of the words you use), your critique is very welcome and will be taken into consideration.

15. dortiz

dortiz Valued Member

Karma,
    fair points but to say one kick just is not right. Its like saying have one block. If I do a hard style out to in block on an attackers arm I will possibly break it as well as send it away from myself. Sometimes maybe my intention. Other times I may want a softer style to deflect and yet position me in a place to control and perform next technique. At about 3:13 he does the kick as I use it. Its fast up and drops..not slow but yes not being pulled down like a hammer as in axe kick. But this kick is to the chin with the heel of foot. Its different in position and use. Your axe kick would fail as you were not positioned to hit on the way up as opposed to driving up power to come down later. They are different. Also the ease of his position leaves in a control spot.
    As far as falls go again you are describing a specific situation where you either demo or did get knocked back and take the traditional fall. Now how does that help when you are being tackled? Even just falling back with attacker. There are times you need to be able to roll back that are pertinent to that position. heck if nothing else practice rolling back to create forward motion to stand.
    These are basic snippets and building blocks. Clearly a lot of slow moving so someone can stretch out and relax in to the techniques.
    Every thing can be torn apart but theres also a lot of good in watching others.
    Cheers,
    Dave O.

16. trailblazer

trailblazer Valued Member

You can presume I don't speak Korean. I'm certainly not ashamed to admit it. Also, please presume that I know nothing and would love to learn what is being taught in the clip. The demonstrator definitely looks to know what he's doing and teaching. It's an awesome teaching tool. Very well demonstrated. Thank you. I'd like to be able to use it in my practice. How difficult would it be to put English subtitles on it? I would really like to see that.

17. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

For what it is worth I have been training in aikido riai for more than forty years and there are NO directly backward OR forward falls. They are all backward to one side or the other same for forward falls. These also allow you to complete the fall and continue the motion to rise to your feet.

regards koyo

18. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

I commented Klaas on another forum about the matter of adding subtitles. What would be required, IME, would be the need to have a film-editing program that would allow a transparent title sheet. The sheet is added to the film over the action of the film. The draw back is that the more verbal the presenter is, the more needs to be put on the screen at any one time. And, since there is only a limited amount of space at the bottom of the frame, the faster the presenter speaks, the faster the subtitle needs to move or change. Some people get around this by skipping the subtitles and dubbing a voice-over when the material being covered is highly-detailed.

I am a huge fan of using modern technology for spreading the word about the arts and showing people what is available. To a lesser degree I believe that a person can at least learn the gross-motor skills of a given movement. Where I think things breakdown is at the level of the more nuanced moves. What I see happening is people wanting to learn the technique and getting gross motor skills and familiarization from clips and tapes, but not taking the time and resources to learn the more subtle bits. As a result I fear that the material gets "dumbed down" to the general public, with some folks even going so far to represent themselves as teachers when they have not had that level of instruction.

Just some varied thoughts.......

Best Wishes,

Bruce

19. trailblazer

trailblazer Valued Member

He's not using film, it's digital video. You don't need transparent overlays. It's simple stuff. I don't think there is anything or reason to fear. He's choosing pretty simple, basic subjects.

20. klaasb

klaasb ....

And another clip, a very short one this time. Pretty much a follow up of the previous one. Two basic kicks that are practiced more (in our gym) for their conditional qualities and not as much for their effectiveness.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAS0uTZB_ek"]YouTube - 04: inside & outside kick (안다리 바깥다리 차기)[/ame]