New member :)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by JamesR, Oct 31, 2011.

1. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Hello everyone, been reading threads from here for a while so I've finally joined up. I'm James (18 next week) and I'm from Liverpool in North West England.

I started off practising Amatuer Boxing about 2 years ago after an incident occurred and I realised how badly I needed to learn how to defend / look after myself. I chose boxing as I wanted something that was quick to learn, easy to use under a stressful situation, was effective and cheap and got me used to taking hits. It ticked all those boxes and after just 6 months I was a changed person, I was confident and no longer scared. After 2 years however I felt I had reached a plateau were I wasn't getting much better so moved on, still keeping Boxing up at home and occasional going down to the club still.

I then moved onto Japanese Ju Jitsu (Forget the specific style, will find out) at the Lowlands in West Derby under 9th dan Sensei Kenneth James Blundell and various other 4th and 2nd dan instructors.

I'm currently just coming to the end of my Green belt and I am loving every minute of it, it contains every aspect I could ever want although I tend to like the Judo side more than the technical Aikido type techniques but saying that they are all fantastic.

Great to be here and hope I can learn things and help out were possible :)

(First question, I know a practitioner of Judo is called a Judoka, is it "Ju-Jutsoka" for JJJ or "Ju-Jitsuka" or what?

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Welcome to MAP! There are a few scousers and ex-scousers on here! :)

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

4. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Will be good to speak to them and see were they're training :)

5. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

Pretty sure it's "jujutska".

6. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Ahh thanks, although I think it might vary like the spelling of Ju Jitsu itself as in "Ju Jitsu", "Jiu Jitsu", "Ju Jutsu" etc :)

7. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi James,

Welcome to MAP.

8. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

Jujitsu and jujutsu do not mean the same thing.

9. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

Oh really? It's just what I read on wikipedia?

"Ju-Jutsu (also known as Jujitsu, Ju-Jitsu, or Japanese Jiu-Jitsu)" It says? :confused:

10. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

They do if you allow for the variations that are slightly non-standard romanisations of the original Japanese.

I've given up caring about minor issues like that for non-linguists.