New Judo Move

Discussion in 'Judo' started by inkpen, Feb 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Swings and roundabouts. I don't doubt the kid was hurt. I just doubt the other kid intended to hurt him.

2. inkpen

inkpen Valued Member

3. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

As do i, but i feel that if a kid is needing to get an MRI after one short punch, he should probably reconsider his future in competitive contact sport.

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

He didn't need one. It was a precaution

5. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

If this is the case and your son was experiencing recurring headaches after a single punch, why would you continue to let him compete? I feel you seem more concerned with holding the Judo Association to account than you do about how startling that is, i boxed from the age of six until i was sixteen, competing from the age of eight (i had roughly 60 fights) and i never had anything like what happened to your son happen to me, and had i, my parents would have probably made sure i never even sparred again.

6. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Oh, I didn't realize, even still, recurring headaches after a single punch is troubling.

7. Moi

Seems strange as most, if not all injuries are going to occur with legitimate technique. It's a tough sport, intent hurts few, just smarts a bit

8. Moi

It came back clean so in hindsight he didn't need one. I'd of had one done too :)

It's the impact of landing together with the punch maybe?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  9. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

I don't think any one is saying judo is perfectly safe but fact is its a combat sport and as such is always going to carry a risk factor.

The biggest injury i have had from judo was a snapped tendon (6years later and 3 operations later it still causes occasional problems) and I have also been knocked out on 2 occasions. All of those occurred when landing from being thrown. I have not looked into the statistics but i would hazard a guess that that's when most of the fatalities occurred in the link you provided. You can not remove that risk without stopping people from doing judo.

So then how exactly do you plan to improve the safety of the sport?

Playing on thick soft crash mats is not safe, snapped ankles and such would be a lot more common. Having it reduced to a no throw format where the ballance is taken but throws not followed through would totaly ruin the sport and frankly they would more than likely fall over any way negating any safety improvements. There are already rules in place about striking and a massive thinning out of techniques in the name of safety.

Having a clearer complaints procedure and such is the only thing you can realy aim for but at the end of the day you need to accept that there will always be people who are unhappy with the official verdict (as you are in your situation).

It's tragic when anyone dies or suffers a serious injury playing a sport but all sports have a risk factor. The only way to be totaly safe is to not do any sport. If you are that worried about judo being unsafe then I suggest you find another hobby for your son because it will always be sport with a heightend risk of injury.

10. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Perhaps, but it didn't really look like a particularly hard shot, the boy's hand didn't even look fully closed, but you are right, it does seem incredibly strange.

11. Moi

It would be terrible to think the effects are fictious for a misplaced cause but that's just my evil mind. I like balance, things aren't adding up

12. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I wouldn't go as far to accuse the op of lying, but i think his efforts are misplaced if he is indeed speaking the truth.

13. holyheadjch

Judo is about as safe as it's going to get. They've already banned a pile of techniques on safety grounds that, quite frankly, aren't more unsafe than many legal techniques (looking at you Osotogari).

14. inkpen

inkpen Valued Member

How about strongly condemning a player striking down to the face of another player from above as his opponent is beneath him on his back?
    How about JFA educating as to the potentially serious safety implications, the danger of long term brain damage due to concussion, especially on junior players whose brains are physiologically more susceptible to damage?

15. holyheadjch

It happens. If you don't like the idea of your son taking bangs to the head in newaza (and they come in much nastier versions than the one in your video), then you should pull him out of the sport now.
    Then really, your argument should be to ban youth Judo, because as people have repeatedly told you - you are much more likely to end up concussed as the result of a throw than you are because someone got a bit clumsy with their limbs.

Your crusade against the JFA is doomed to fail because contrary to your beliefs - there is no evidence that the JFA have failed to take safety seriously. The JFA literally have a Concussion Management Policy, so your argument that they don't take concussions seriously just doesn't hold water.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

In the few months I've done Judo I've been buzzed from hard landings more times than I ever got doing Thai or Karate.
    I've a feeling though a 4 foot tall 10 year old falls much better than my 5'10" stiff old frame. :)

17. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

While i can understand your position, i think how badly hurt your son was from this incident, be it deliberate or not, is cause to consider having nothing further to do with judo for the sake of his health, concerns over safety be damned, nothing is as important as the well being of your son.

18. inkpen

inkpen Valued Member

Re:"The JFA literally have a Concussion Management Policy, so your argument that they don't take concussions seriously just doesn't hold water."

You guys are teasing me. You don't seriously suggest that because an organization has a policy in place this means that they adhere to it. JFA also have a Member Protection Policy and a Refereeing Rules document that they appear to have blatantly disregarded in this matter of the New Judo Move. In addition JFA have made a mockery of the core values and guidelines of Play by The Rules in their handling of this incident. Guys come on - be serious. You cannot be that naïve.

As to pulling my son out of judo because it is not safe for him due to such strikes effecting his health - if I had wanted my son to be in a sport where punches/strikes to the head are the norm I would have started him at boxing. At this level striking in judo is prohibited as is contact to the face. If the rules are enforced he would not be subjected to strikes to his head.

I disagree that he is injury prone because he was effected by this strike. This kid was 3 years older, on top of him, and delivering the blow downwards after having drawn his arm back 600mm. You seem to be suggesting this sort of incident is par for the course in judo and he should either get over it or get out of judo. Really!!

19. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I'm surprised at so many people taking against the OP.

Obviously, I wasn't there refereeing at the time, but as far as I can see it from the video, there are two related problems:

The kid cheated.
    He cheated using a dangerous technique.

Either of those should be grounds for disqualification.

20. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

It's not the issue of strikes, it's the issue of a single strike causing so much distress to his body, and the risks associated with certain throws given the previous bouts of headaches so severe they required an MRI. What happens if he is thrown with a legal maneuver and ends up being knocked out, or worse ends up in a coma? It is certainly a real consideration, you yourself posted the article about the number of deaths in youth judo in Japan, after such an incident, given what you know, i would seriously reconsider allowing him to compete.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.