New Judo Move

Discussion in 'Judo' started by inkpen, Feb 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inkpen

inkpen Valued Member

New Judo Move http://youtu.be/PcGB6Dw57dg

A Referees Commission found this action to be "incidental contact while the player on top was going for a grip.....with nothing deliberate or sinister here". As the father of the 7 yo victim of this action by his 10 yo opponent, I consider this verdict incorrect. I think it was deliberate and warranted immediate disqualification. This happened in a competition in Darwin Australia.
    What is your opinion?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcGB6Dw57dg"]New Judo Move - YouTube[/ame]

Judo Federation Australia Inc. the ruling body here in Australia have condoned this act of violence in sport.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  2. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

From here, it looks like it's deliberate and quite malicious.

3. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

That looks pretty obviously deliberate to me. The fact he draws his hand back before striking is the nail in the coffin, accidental contact going from grip to grip is one thing but you wouldn't bring your hand back like that.

Have the Judo Federation of Australia seen that clip in slow motion? In full speed it's harder to spot but in slow motion its unmistakeable.

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Horrible little boy.

5. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Immediate hansoku-make and disqualification from the tournament from my perspective. A possible ban on several future tournament/grading opportunities as well as a lesson to keep the temper in check. As his coach I'd probably also be having words with his parents and considering whether to keep him in the class.

6. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Ground and pound ...

Disqual imho

smurf

7. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Definitely deliberate and malicious, immediately deserving of a disqualification IMO.

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

while i agree that he needs to be kept away from the other children, stat, i do believe that a huge mountain of sacrions and punishments is probably not going to be the best of ideas, as it'll probably just make him angrier AND resentful. if there's any point in time at which a kid can be best influenced to stop doing this sort of thing, this is probably it and there are likely far more productive methods than just shutting him off from any and all judo (particularly as he may have no other outlet for whatever made him punch the other kid, so one may be exacerbating the problem even more)

9. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

While I agree, you do see people yank their hand back to avoid or rip free from a sleeve grip and then punch in for a countergrip in pretty much any jacketed grappling. It can look a lot like a punch and I've clipped and been clipped grip fighting before. The follow through is what does it for me in this video.

10. inkpen

inkpen Valued Member

New Judo Move http://youtu.be/PcGB6Dw57dg

Yes Judo Federation Australia Inc. (JFA) have seen the slowmo. They have refused to condemn this deliberate foul, and in effect have condoned this act of violence. They have stonewalled, threatened, and tried to drag any investigation of the matter into the legal sphere at my expense.

This incident happened over 9 months ago. Initially my battle was to get an apology for my son, and to have the offender watch the footage with his parents and his coach, and to be given a formal warning. This has not happened.

My battle now is to highlight the handling of this matter by JFA. They have a history of poor governance, including a lack of transparency and accountability. Their trusty strategy when confronted with a complainant is to delay, delay, try to silence criticism and avoid scrutiny.

This incident with my son is minor, but the manner in which JFA have handled it is indicative of the unethical practices and behaviour of some of their administrators.
    There are numerous scandals that they have attempted to sweep under the carpet.

It is sad as judo is founded on the noble principles of integrity, fair play, honour and honesty. Yet many in the governing body here in Australia (JFA) betray these principles. Little wonder Australian judo is regarded as a joke internationally.

Here is an example of a Judo Federation Australia (JFA) official bringing the sport into disrepute. JFA tried to silence the person who posted the footage and only acted after a sustained outcry. Their response some weeks later was a 1 year ban from official duties for this guy-basically a slap on the wrist.
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1AgcFH3A3o"]2013 Australian Judo Nationals Open - YouTube[/ame]

11. Moi

It was an annoyance that resulted in your son getting punched. Why are you making such a fuss? Life is like that! That's the lesson learned by your son but not you?
    Get over it?!

12. FunnyBadger

Lol I think moi is a bit 'direct' there but I don't think there's anything much else you can do.

If your son is not hurt and has not been put off from judo (I hope on both parts :) ) then is just move on and leave it at that. Trying to kick up a stink with the ijf or something is unlikely to yield any results unfortunately.

13. Moi

Seen it too many times across too many martial arts with my own little baby :)
    Just something you learn to live with. I think it's worse in kids sport than with adults and comes from instructors, trainers, judges, referees & parents
    All you can do is try and explain how the World really is but try and teach them there is a better way?
    Many times I wish my son would play by the same rules as his opponent but what can I say? He liked following rules :)

14. inkpen

inkpen Valued Member

Back in Sept I was on the point of moving on from this matter when Judo Federation Australia sent me an email which was a crude attempt to intimidate & silence me. I will not bow to intimidatory tactics. I have moved on from trying to get restorative justice, including an apology for my son. This will now be a life lesson to him that justice does not always eventuate, and people often fail to live up to expectations.

BUT I will battle against this administrating body that is bringing judo into disrepute.
    Many people say just like you - Give up, you will never win. This is what large organizations hope for - they hope small, lone or powerless complainants will tire in their quest for justice. Somebody should stand up to these dishonourable miscreants and their bullying tactics.

I researched thoroughly before I enrolled my son in a martial art. I chose judo because of the principles on which it is founded - integrity, fair play, honour & honesty. Judo is more than a sport-it is a philosophy, a moral code for living. The administrators of judo here in Australia (JFA) have betrayed these principles. They have acted with dishonour.

Further JFA have set a dangerous precedent by condoning this act of violence in sport. This is a serious safety issue. A kid getting struck to the face by his opponent who is on top of him, as he lies on his back, could be seriously injured.

This is no longer about my son, but concerns the next kid who could potentially be a similar victim. If such behaviour, that is against the rules & spirit of judo, is not strongly condemned by officials it will send a message to other judo players that such actions will be excused.

So Moi & FunnyBadger I am not trying to get any result now changed for my son. I accept, as does he, that such is life.
    BUT I will fight to ensure the next kid does not suffer so, and with potentially fatal consequences. For your information my 7yo son suffered recurring headaches after this incident and had to stop judo for a period. Thankfully MRI scans cleared him of any permanent damage.

15. Moi

How do you stop a ten year old lashing out?

16. FunnyBadger

Straight jackets and tranquillisers :)

17. inkpen

inkpen Valued Member

You strongly condemn such behaviour, and stop condoning it.
    You make him watch the footage with his parents & coach & give him a formal warning.
    You make it known to all judo players that such action will not be tolerated.
    You DO NOT refuse to condemn and thus condone such an action. This sends out the message that such deliberate striking to the face is permissible.
    What's so hard about that?

18. FunnyBadger

I totaly agree with you. I don't want you to think i condone that behaviour, it's not acceptable in the context of a judo match and I can totaly see why you feel so strongly about the issue.

Where we differ though is in what comes next. As the officials have decided that the other child wasn't in the wrong I don't think there is any point in you continuing a crusade against the JFA. I agree that they are wrong but I don't think its going to get you anywhere, sorry.

Are there any other smaller judo organisations operating in Australia who you could move across to perhaps?

19. inkpen

inkpen Valued Member

You make him watch the footage with his parents & coach.
    You give him a formal warning not to repeat and inform of the safety implications
    You strongly condemn such a strike to the face and publicize that such behaviour will not be tolerated.
    You DO NOT refuse to condemn and thus condone such an act of violence in sport.
    This sends the message to judo players that such a deliberate strike to an opponent's face is permissible, and encourages future similar fouls.
    What is so hard about that?

20. Moi

Everyone knows he did wrong already but certainly with kids it's still going to happen. Least the kid in this video couldn't actually punch.
    Regardless it's still going to happen, happened to be when I was a kid. Thing is you're not going to stop kids reacting badly when frustrated so your quest to save the sport is pointless and likely to make your son hate the sport as it winds his Dad up too much

Thing is it happens in all sports, whether fight based or not. It's always going to happen and by continuing to muddy the waters it smacks of an issue between you and the org, your son is just an excuse now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.