New gym regime, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Su lin, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

you tight ass why didnt you say that in the first place!? no wonder your tine is crammed! idiot! :D

2. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Lol! :D It's still going to be similar, I just added another nights training :D

Monday- mma (1hr) and kung fu (1 1/2 hours)
    Tuesday- cardio (yes, body combat :D) and possibly weights or sparring
    Wednesday - off
    Thursday- sparring/swimming
    Friday - cardio (combat) and weights
    Saturday- mma (2 hours) /swimming
    Sunday - cardio (combat) ,sparring and swimming

Or something :D

3. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I have been reading stuff on Stumptuous and think I have a better idea about it all now! :D Thanks for the help guys. Hey,I may even post progress pics :D

4. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Wrowl! :)

5. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Ok so now I realise how weak I am! Anything to do with my lats are just rubbish, not too bad with the others but my strength seems crap. My squats seem ok, I used the cable machine for those .Going to make a note of weights etc when I go on Thursday so I can measure improvement, if there ever is any!!!

6. CosmicFish

There will be. As a beginner you will make the most rapid strength gains ever. Just be careful not to get too carried away with overconfidence once the gains start coming. Keep it slow and steady, week by week.

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Cool will do. I'm really looking forward to start feeling the benefits, no longer will I get crushed like crisps under bison at mma :D

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Did your trainer calculate your one-rep max?

It seems s/he has stuck to the ol' 3x10 because a) it's "what everyone else does", or b) it's all s/he knows.

Get 'em to help you calculate your one-rep max. Then adjust your sets/reps/kg to achieve your desired goals, e.g. 50-60% of your 1RM to train endurance, 75-90% of you 1RM to train strength.

If your trainer doesn't know how to do this, speak to one of your meatheads in spandex who will know, from experience, how to it. Or just ask me :D

9. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Oh great, now I have images of Coma and Cosmic in spandex!!!!:bang:

And no the instructor didn't go through any of that, I'm not entirely sure she knew what she was on about anyway and the other instructor I spoke to questioned most of what she wrote. So ignored both of them and took the advice of the good gentlemen here. :D

10. CosmicFish

In all honesty, it's not absolutely essential to know your 1RM. I'm still keen on knowing mine, but it's more out of curiosity than anything useful. You can stick to the simple principle of: "if you get all your sets and reps in good form, increase the weight slightly next session" and you'll make good gains.

Another simple principle / rule of thumb: Work in high rep ranges if you want endurance. Work in low rep ranges if you want strength. Doing sets anywhere in the region of 5~10 will build plenty of strength. For a beginner starting out weightlifting, who's only doing it to supplement martial arts, it's probably best to avoid over-analysing things too much.

p.s. I don't wear spandex. :woo:

p.p.s. Coma does though.