New gym regime, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Su lin, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I just got my gym regime from my trainer, based around strength and split into 2 days.This programme was bearing in mind I am a weekend member so I get Friday night,Sat (after 2 hours mma) and Sunday to work in there.
    I plan to take some of the free weights stuff and maybe work on that during the week once or twice.
    Just wondered what you guys thought. The h/s is the Human Sport Cable machines.

Day 1
    d/b bench press 3x10
    h/s chest fly 3x10
    db lat raises 2x10
    h/s squat with shoulder press 3x10
    bicep pushdown 2x10
    bent leg raises 2x10
    h/s single leg squat 3x10
    reverse lunge with medicine ball 3x10
    fitball press ups with jack knife 3x10

Day 2
    h/s straight arm pulldown 3x10
    h/s straight arm rear delt fly 3x10
    h/s seated row
    h/s standing row
    d/b bicep curl 3x sets of 30 seconds
    narrow grip pull down 3x10
    fitball oblique crunch
    side plank
    side plank with crunch
    prone plank
    step ups with dumbells

Now , I took out the squat with shoulder press. I can squat more than I can shoulder press, so for the time being I am just seperating them. I'm playing around with it a fair bit really, as after mma I am pretty much useless so not sure what to do. Friday I do the workout after an hours cardio, as I do on a Sunday. Or I may do Sundays before the cardio.

Help/comments would be greatly appreciated :D Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  2. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Hey bugsy!

That seems ok but it could be simplified without losing anything; for example;

Day one;

bench
    Dips
    press
    Lats

Day two;

Squats
    pullups
    deadlifts

3. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Hmmm simplified hey!I need something to keep me occupied and out of mischief though :D

Last night I did day 1 after the hours cardio (ok ok so it was body combat!) then tried some pad work afterwards, making me realise how far I have to go in terms of endurance :(

4. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

And I must say,I have sore delts :( Was trying some press ups and ouch!

5. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Yeh id throw in some other things, like cable rows, snatches, swings, clean & press just to add variety, but my main workout would always revolve around squats, dips, pull-ups, presses and bench press.

6. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

IMO, it looks like far too much volume and too much isolation work to be a "srength routine". Call me cynical, but I suspect personal trainers create programs like this just to make their clients think they're getting their money's worth. :rolleyes:

H has the right idea - more compund / less isolation movements, and less overall exercises.

If you're only training twice a week, one idea to consider might be working your entire body each workout. For example:

* Do something for your legs, like squat or deadlift (ok, deadlift is more than just legs, but it tends to get lumped in with the leg ecercises).
    * Do some upper body pull work, like rows or chin-ups (bodyweight, assisted or weighted - depending on how strong you are).
    * Do some upper body push work, like bench or dips or overhead press.

As for cable machines, some people slate them but I think they're pretty good. You can do a lot with them.

7. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

As much as I hate to agree with the fish, 3x10 reeks of cookie cutter programs.

8. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

ta you guys,was counting on you to critique it as I know bugger all. To be honest simplifying things is all good in my opinion. What would you rearrange it as to get a decent strength routine going?
    I do like the cable machines but am happy to use the free weights (even though the men in there scare me a bit :D)

9. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Edit: I can do it more than twice a week as got some weights at home. I'm conscious of not trying to overtrain as I am doing 5 days already and struggling to fit everything.

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

11. CosmicFish

Pretty much what I posted above, Lou. Maybe start off easy and for each session just pick one leg, one push and one pull exercise. Do that Friday, leave Saturday to recover, then do a different leg, push and pull for Sunday. Make sure you write down what you did and how much weight, sets and reps you did.

One really simple way of making progress is as follows:

1. Start off spending a few weeks getting used to the exercises and familiar with how much weight you want to be using for each particular exercise. (This is where you need to write things down - you'll forget if you don't!)

2. After about 2-4 weeks, when you're fairly familiar with what you're doing - for each exercise, use a weight you can do about 8-10 reps for and work with it week by week until you can hit 3 sets of 12. When you can do that, bump the weight up by a small amount the following week and start over again - aiming for 3x12.

3. As more weeks go by you can gradually lower the target reps from 12, to 10, to 8, etc, whenever you feel like stepping things up a bit. Obviously, if you're doing less reps, you'll be able to do the set with a bit more weight.

(Note - the numbers: 3 sets, 12 reps, etc. aren't set in stone. You can change them according to your own requirements and preferences.)

Hope that makes sense - shout if it doesn't!

12. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Ahh excellent, yeah I think that makes sense! Sounds way more manageable! I'm there tomorrow morning so will give it a go and let you know how it went. :) Thanks!

13. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I dunno . . . I wouldn't do the routine. I don't like it. I'll just leave it at that.

Everyone else has already covered the best thing in my opinion. We are all of the same mind. You know if you think about it, the H&F section is the only one that hardly ever has any conflict in it anymore. We are like a hive mind over here.

14. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Lol why do you think I asked you guys :D I was slightly concerned last night when I started doing it. My kung fu teacher who is also a personal trainer took one look at it, made a tutting sound and shook his head at it :D He didn't have time to go through it with me but he didn't seem too impressed!

15. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

....Join us....

16. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Oh god! Will I be posting lots of numbers and "x"s and photos of my rippling muscles soon like you lot? :D

Basically I'm just fed up of being a complete weakling and thought it was time I put my money where my mouth is and get on with it!

17. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

9/10

There's a good reason you are a mod over here. Well said. You'd make a good trainer.

18. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Yeah, please can you head up north and come train me please Cosmic? :D

19. CosmicFish

I would, but coma's just invited you down to train with us by the looks of things. :D

Yohan - Cheers mate. :)

20. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I have decided to get full time gym membership now so I don't have to cram all my weights stuff into a weekend,giving me more flexibility to train whenever I want.:D More training! Yay :D