New Forum and Moderator

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by AirNick, Oct 4, 2006.

1. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

So we have now dropped the 'Won' from our forum name and our mod has dropped the 'KSW' from his name. What's going on?

2. ember

ember Valued Member

I can't speak for Wolf, but the "Won" from the forum name came out of the Kuk Sool Kwan discussion in "So much unrevealed".

The founders of the forum always intended it to be Kuk Sool in general, not limited to WKSA practitioners. Korean Kuk Sool Association, Kuk Sool Kwan, Master Simm's new org, whatever - ALL WELCOME.

The end-of-testing speech I got in May has made me wonder if I should drop the "ksw" from the end of my handle. PSBN talked about how when you put on the uniform, you're representing the association... and I kinda figure that goes for the handle too.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  3. KSW88

KSW88 Valued Member

Good Point JKN Ember. I may follow your lead.

4. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

Fair questions both...

The Won was dropped because when I initially petitioned a year and a half ago to have the forum added, I never meant for it to represent one organization. I meant for it to represent the art of Kuk Sool. As we do have participants that are not part of the WKSA I felt it would be better to have this forum called Kuk Sool. Basically I didn't want the forum to be perceived as exclusive.

As for my name, it's not something I really want to discuss publicly. Rest assured I do have best interests of this forum at heart, and don't plan to do anything to upset any of you. If, however, at any point you feel I'm not doing my job properly please feel free to let me or any member of the staff know.

5. KoreanWarrior

KoreanWarrior Valued Member

Name change

Well my gut feeling is I dont care for it. I understand it. The closest thing I can relate to it is kind of a bait and switch tatic. I know its not that, but that's the feel of it.
    Also it going to give a forum to more disgruntaled people to have a <deleted> session.

I really dont care what one fringe person thinks of the WKSA, its usually only jealously anyway.

I can always go to the hapkido list for more general discussions. So many people want to splinter KSW like hapkido is... and thats why hapkido has no central leadership. With everyone rowing the boat in a different direction no one gets anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2006
  6. ember

ember Valued Member

Been there, done that. At least twice since we got started.

Even when they ARE WKSA people, it can still become a <deleted> session. Saw it happen, and stop.

Something Dr. Leppla, aka "Doc" taught us in marching band: there are ALWAYS going to be people who don't like the way things are run, and want to moan about it. Sometimes they have good points, other times their comments can go in the circular file.

I think we have the right people here to handle the situation. It may get rough again, but, like the weather, stick around and it'll change.

7. ember

ember Valued Member

Please, no titles here. JKN goes with my real name. And anyway, now that you've resumed posting, I've rather gotten the impression that you outrank me considerably.

8. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

The thing is though, that Kuk Sool Won is but one Kuk Sool organization. As I said, the point is to include ALL Kuk Sool practioners. That was my intention when I asked the admins to give us a style forum instead of making us post in the "Other" forum as we had to do when I first joined MAP. You don't see seperate TKD forums devoted to the WTF, ITF, ATA or anything like that with other systems and their various governing bodies. Also, this is not supposed to be forum of mass agreement. It makes it more interesting when people disagree. That's what spawns debate.

And lastly, please everyone watch your language as per the ToS.

9. ember

ember Valued Member

Wolf, that wasn't the filter. I actually typed *s.

10. KoreanWarrior

MAP forum

I understand what your saying but I still dont like bait and switch. Why didnt you just leave the KSW list alone and make a new KS list ?

MAp is cool I think I may start a forum online and break out all the styles with their own listing and even do a magazine like Master Sims and interview all the Martial Arts teachers all over the country. It would definitely be a cool gig.

11. ember

ember Valued Member

MAP doesn't create new forums every day. It can't.

I was on here for three months, using the "Other" forum, before we got our own place. Wolf, Baubin, several others were here for a year or more.

In order to get our own forum, we had to play nice (which we still need to do). We had to keep track of how many people we had in our "Checkin" thread. We had to put "Kuk Sool" or "KSW" in every style-specific subject line.

We had to do all of that until we had enough good threads and enough decent, regular posters that the mods felt it was worth a forum.

You may not be aware that we've had several long-running members from Master Simm's organization. They've had some good insights.

Our newest poster may have gotten on your nerves, but it's quite possible that he'll settle down as he gets used to this place, the people, the culture.

If not, you can add him to your "Ignore" list.

12. KoreanWarrior

13. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

So why wasn't it called 'Kuk Sool' in the first place?

Ember, I know what you mean but I do take slight offence to you saying that it happened when 'the UK guys showed up'.

As for Choi, no offence meant because we all like him but just about ALL the b*tching comes from him! :)

Personally, I don't care too much that the forum has been renamed I just find it odd. Why now? I can't believe it is purely because MasterDunchok has turned up? I presume it has something to do with Wolf not being involved in KSW anymore and MadMonks influence.

14. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

Ember

Ok so what have the UK done thats so bad????????????????

Provided no information????

Had fun at each others expense????? wow wouldn't catch clearlake doing that at all. Sorry we were friends before we started posting on this thread.

Choi bringing it all back on board haha as much as I love the bloke I remember you having lots of go's at him till you realised who he was, that comment in itself I find quite funny.

You know what as far as I'm concerned with where this forum is going and the undertone of its passage over the last 2 months due to certain influences that are obvious to everyone I'm pretty sure if you don't like comment from the UK all you have to do is ask and I for one will leave. :bang:

15. ember

ember Valued Member

You're right, of course, on both counts. I'm sorry to give offense. I'm glad y'all are here, I've learned a ton since then. But remember, I was a DBN without a huge background in the history, and for a bit there y'all were talking way over my head. It's better now.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2006
  16. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

wow, at least ya'll could warm me up with a kiss first! :D
    LOL

I would hope a little light hearted B!T(hing would allow some people would see things in a different light. we should be able to disagree without being disagreeable toward each other. Civil Discourse?

Anyway, this should be an open forum, any Kuk Sool or MA should be welcome. Non-WKSA kuk sool may provide a fresh perspective, one of the many good things about MAP is that rank and orgs don't play a role. (or at least they shouldn't). Speak your mind freely and let's all learn.

17. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

OK ... let me just say that Wolf approached me on the name change and didn't really think that this change would cause any discourse.

Listen, I can change the name back as long as members from WKSA, and all of it's off-shoots and affiliates will be happy.

18. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Why? when the forum was first established everyone was all giddy that Kuk Sool Won had it's own forum. had it been established as Kuk Sool rather than Kuk Sool Won back then, no on would have even cared. now that it has been an issue people sound as if a given org is entitled.

leave it like it is........

WKSA people quit acting like your special, your sounding a little spoiled.

19. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I like the generic term.

20. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

What do you mean by that?