New Doctor

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by ap Oweyn, Aug 5, 2013.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

So I've just heard that there's a new Doctor coming on the scene. Thoughts?

I have to say that I really enjoyed David Tennant and Matt Smith. I'm sorry to see Smith go. Don't know that much about the new guy. I'm sure I've seen him in things before, but don't have any strong feelings.

So he'll also be the third Scot to play the character. Any bets as to whether he'll actually use his proper accent (versus Sylvester McCoy and David Tennant, who suppressed theirs for the role)?

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I think he'll keep his accent. Currently there are a lot of nonMAP safe memes and youtube vids in his Malcolm Tucker character doing Dr Who-ey stuff.

Which is hilarious.

3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Watch "The Thick of It". Armando Ianucci is a genius

4. ned

ned Valued Member

good choice -a genuine Dr Who fan(he once submitted a script)and a fantastic actor,
    although one used to more adult roles.He was the vitriolic star of the recent comedy
    "The thick of it", a bit like" yes minister"but with more swearing!

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, I was hearing a bit about that on National Public Radio this morning. Haven't seen the show here in the States. Didn't know he'd attempted to write for the show though. That's a nice touch.

6. ned

ned Valued Member

Sorry,i got that wrong!-he wrote a fan letter to the producer when he was 15 and got sent
    back some studio floor plans and two scripts for "the mutants". Slap on the wrist for spreading misinformation!

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Meh. Still points to him being a diehard fan. :)

Be interesting to hear what my friends in the States make of the new guy. I've been on board since Tom Baker (being born in 1971). And went back to watch Jon Pertwee. Never really got into Hartnell or Troughton. Be interesting to see what take we get on the character now.

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Another white guy. No one can accuse them of a lack of originality. Oh wait.

9. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I think they picked a good doctor, can't wait to see some age (and hopefully jaded cynicism) in the role. David tennant did a good job of being traumatized by the time war and I think that's where Matt smith fell short, not damaged enough for someone so old.

10. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I think it's good that they haven't gone for cheap political points like changing skin colour or gender.

I'm also glad they've gone for someone older - Eccleston was my favourite of the 'revived' series, Tennant started off ok, but I came to hate him because of Donna Noble. Matt Smith was 'meh' - too much playing the clown, silly catch phrases and generally becoming more of a CBBC show than family.

I'm looking forward to some better storylines too. The last series and a half have been dreadful.

11. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Isn't the Doctor a character? Like, someone with specific traits? Its like complaining James Bond's never a female asian. Changing the actor purely to satisfy some weird political thing discredits the show.

12. holyheadjch

It's not about political points, it's about the alien who can be resurrected into any humanoid form not always being resurrected as a white man.

A dozen regenerations, a dozen white men.

13. holyheadjch

It's not the same thing. James Bond, the character, is a white male with dark hair. To deviate from that is to fundamentally change the character. People didn't even like the fact that Daniel Craig has blonde hair. They could cast a black male actor and not fundamentally alter the character, but they can't change the macho womanising secret agent into a woman.

The Doctor can regenerate into any humanoid form. Yet he always gets regenerated into the form of a white male. If anything, it highlights the intrinsic prejudices of TV casting in the UK.

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, not really. Bond doesn't have the advantage of scifi. The Doctor could be anyone at all. The entire setting is essentially designed to be a deus ex machina for them to do whatever they want.

They could've gone with something other than a white male certainly.

Hell, there was talk of Idris Elba being Bond at some point, for that matter.

15. Dan Bian

'Time Lords' can regenerate into any humanoid form - the fact that the Doctor hasn't may suggest that he "can't". Individuals may be limited to certain genetic factors.

16. holyheadjch

There's no evidence of that in the history of the show. Any inability to do so resides only in the hearts and minds of the showrunners.

17. Dan Bian

Actually there are 10 previous examples that the Doctor cannot be Black/Asian/Female/Inuit...

To me, changing something like the gender or skin colour of the character would turn the whole thing into a 'look at this black/asian/female/inuit" and constantly trying to reinforce how this one is so different.

The Doctor is a white guy, I don't see why apologies should be made for that?

18. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Meh, I can't pretend I'm a big doctor who fan or have any idea who the new dude is. I've been seeing a lot of this complaint today though and I'm yet to see a decent reason why they shouldn't of picked this dude to play the doctor other than because he's white and male.

Having a female doctor could be interesting, but I want them to change it because they found an actress who would be amazing, not because otherwise they must be racist/sexist casters. Annoyingly now they can't change it without the actress being seen as just a PC stunt.

I just don't see the point. Even if we assume that they won't change it because there would be complaints, what does it matter? In the grand scheme of things does it really matter if Dr Who is seen as a white male British character by the viewing audience? He's a character in a tv show, nothing changes in society if they change it or not.

I'll conceded the point that it doesn't go against canon to have him be able to regenerate into a woman. But I'm still completely unconvinced as to why beyond "because equality"

19. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Interestingly enough here were two black actors who were suggested for the role this time in the media. This may have been preparing the ground so to speak.

I do think criticising the show for not selecting a particular gender/ethnicity is a bit OTT though....

Mitch

20. holyheadjch

As a fan of the show, I'd like them to change it up. A female Doctor would open the doors to new companion relationships and it would be hilarious to see the Doctor grapple with being a woman for the first time.