New Combat Hapkido

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Split_level, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Split_level

Split_level New Member

Hi

I recently came across a school in my area offering a hapkido/close quarter combat system training, the instructor is Soke Gunter Bauer.

He apparently is a 9th Dan hapkido and has high rank in other arts. He has created his own system "Gun-ta-Ryu Close Quarter Combat Systems" which joins lots of other arts together in a self defence no BS way.

I saw a flyer and looked at his website www.closequartercombatsystem.vze.com

All looked a bit "me and my buddies have made a new system up" coz we know best

I did want to do traditional Hapkido but cant find any in my area. I might go to a class next week and take a look.

Just wanted a more informed opinion/info on the system, dojo, instructor,
    If anyone had actually trained with him etc

Cheers guys

:)

2. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

Gun-ta / Gunter - lol

Website doesn't say much about the training, sounds a bit like a 'club' for martial artists to give themselves hugely high ranks and big sounding names. :eek:

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

4. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

Hmmm.. Not sure about the system itself but the "term" Combat Hapkido is copyrighted.

It would be like someone calling their JiuJitsu small circle (Wally Jay) or calling their style Sin Moo hapkido without being affiliated with Jae.

5. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Your title is a bit misleading here as "Combat Hapkido" (www.ichf.com) is a distinct and separate system. The founder is GM Pellegrini, who is the only 9th dan in the system.

Regardless, I would say that it wouldn't hurt to check out the school and see what it's about. If it doesn't fit you, look elsewhere. I personally have never heard of the man.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  6. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Greetings,

Guy this is where my Trad HKD side shows.

There are very, very, very few legit 9th dans in Hapkido or TKD or many other true MA in the world.

Along with high dans in a few other systems it's basically a long shot.

I would in this case ckeck out lineage, time in HKD, who's his teacher, etc.

Buying rank is very easy these days and yes anyone can make thier own system and apoint themselves a soke.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  7. Split_level

Split_level New Member

Managed to speak to someone who attended one of his classes, he said it is very untraditional, guntar seems to know what he is talking about but the class is very much a me and my mates doing a bit of training. Seems very unorganised and he noticed slight inconsistances in what he said over the phone and what he told him in class. But he did say the material was very practical doing it because it worked not because it was part of a syllabus.

He isnt sure if he will attend another class, he wanted something more constructed and traditional.

Think i will have to go and see for myself, dont think its for me though, it sounds very unorganised and like my friend says their are inconsitances, I mean on one website he is calling it
    "Ki-Bushi-Ryu Close Quarter Combat Systems"

and on another
    Gun-ta-Ryu Close Quarter Combat Systems

all seems very messy. :Alien:

The other thing is no-one seems to have heard of / trained with Guntar Bauer seeing as he is claiming to be sh*t hot at lots of MAs youd think someone would have come across him? I know he orginally hails from germany and currently lives in the UK.

Another thing, how can he claim to have "invented" this new "legit" system who says its legit? :confused:

Quite disapointed really, wanted to get into Hapkido/ more self defence oriented MA, but cant find anywhere in Manchester. UK

Sorry for complaning in the forum
    :cry: :Alien:

8. Aegis

Complain away, as long as you don't break the terms of service ;)

(by the way, using asterisks or other letters to evade the profanity filter is against the ToS, you might want to consider editing that word)

9. Aegis

Feel free to complain, but stay within the terms of service please (ie don't use asterisks or other characters to bypass the profanity filter ;))

10. Split_level

Split_level New Member

Oopps my bad

:eek: