New CBD article: Simple bowie footwork & parry/thrust drill

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by lklawson, Nov 22, 2010.

1. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

2. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

I just looked at your program on the bowie knife.. I have a question or two to ask if it is possible..

1> Why use your blade on the low block with the pommel pointing up? This adds wasted motion on your counter offensive movement and also allows for the dislodging of your blade if you are hit with a full power hit

2> The footwork using the dequardes (swinging arm) implement shows that you are using the blade in corto ( or close in) for the blocking applications.. If you are using a 9-11 inch blade such as the bowie, you would want to use a point up counter offensive motion.. You can also use the abanico or fanning actions such as Dwight McElmore shows his bowie knife texts for blocking and countering.. James Keating also uses the back cut extensively in this application..

I am commenting from my own perspective and opinions as a western/american bowie use practitioner and from the training that I have had with various individuals over the years..

3. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

A number of reasons. For one, sometimes you're going to be in an orientation with your point down when you need to parry or perform an intercepting for. Perhaps you were in "low guard" position or you've just made a downward sweeping parry or cut. Sometimes you're using an abanico-like movement (as you reference below). Movements 4 and 11 would be examples of where this might be an applicable.

Again, this isn't fighting or a kata or something. It's a drill which, among other things, gives the person an opportunity to parry/intercepting-cut from a number of different positions with blade both up and down.

You've outed me. I study Dwight's system and base my own Bowie work predominantly one what he has taught me. :)

Yes, I do have some other "flavor" mixed into the recipe, but the main ingredient is Dwight's stuff.

Feel free. What's the worst that can happen, we disagree? Oh no! ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk