New book - your help needed!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Van Zandt, Jul 19, 2009.

1. liero

liero Valued Member

I'm Uber exited about this book, and would definatly buy one...unless of course I score a free copy, I'd even pay shipping to Australia ;)

The above suggestions are all exellent btw.

So without further ado:

- I Have nice kicks, even head kicks, but along with that technical niceyness I want Knock Out power in my high kicks. my body kicks are much harder than my head kicks. I have recently been doing the superfoot leg hold and kick from chamber exercises that are on youtube but more concise explanations would be awesome, along with some variety.

- One thing with my kicks is that recovery time is an issue. I know you can never bring a head kick back as quick as a body kick but I want to be able to. also, Not being off balance when throwing kicks would probobly come under this subheading.

- I have constant knee issues from what my physio diagnosed as a shortness in my ITB? I think. I was hoping you could show some stretches for this muscle group? and other common muscular issues that pop up!

also

- A section on recovery and prevention exercises for common injury areas. e.g. knees, hamstring injuries and what not.

Are these the sorts of things your looking for? I know some of this is more kick specific but from your replies this seems to be what the second section of the book addresses.

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thanks Liero, your post is perfect :cool:

3. TheAngle

TheAngle Valued Member

I don't think it matter what the approach or focus is. I don't know if Paul's youtube videos are brinning him busness or not, but they are very informational and it let's people see that he knows what is talking about. His videos are also very well thought out and helpful, unlike many other boring usless videos on youtube. If you can do something like that, but for martial artists, at least you will earn respect and then maybe it will help to sell the book.
    Granted you will have to give away some of the information in your book for free, but that's the only way for people to see what you are offering.
    Furey style advertising is loosing it's power.

4. BilliardPete

BilliardPete Valued Member

Hey Supperfoot aka Van,

When do you think if it isn't already, will your book be out. I would love to get a copy...

Pete

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I have to admit it's going a lot slower than I anticipated. A reserved estimate would be Feb/March '10.

6. UCHYTIL

UCHYTIL Valued Member

First I want to say I've enjoyed you post "stretching for high kicks". Honestly I don't know if I'm doing the proper stretches and durations. I'm 50, male, have studied both TKD and Karate (current). My problem areas seem to have hit me as I aged - hips and knees. My right knee has a less than optimal MCL. The hips can act up with high explosive kicks. I can kick at the head level (average male) but only by leaning back. I currently jog daily about a mile and half, engage in anerobic free weights, and stretch, more or less, as you describe in your other post. I love kumite, however, I get winded after 4-2minute rounds. I would love to be able to perform a full side split, have better flexibility in my calves, and learn a hip opener/strengthener. I'm curious about genetics and ones ability to stretch to certain positions also. John in Michigan/USA

7. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

You may consider checking by Thomas Kurz's website while you wait for Superfoot's book. He has a lot of information that could help you.

http://stadion.com/

8. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Hey Van, i'm 45 years old and have been training Wado for 5 years. My flexibility has always been poor so i've taken up your advice here on MAP and am currently doing 2 blocks of Dynamic stretching and Static Passive stretching per day in addition to my Karate training a couple of times a week in the Dojo. I'm generally fairly fit and walk alot (i don't drive and live halfway up a mountain, 4 miles from the nearest town). I've been doing this routine for 2 weeks and my kicks are definitely(slowly) getting higher and more comfortable and although my front splits seem to be coming on, my side splits seem a bit stuck. Now, according to your advice here on MAP, I probably need to look at additional strength training (vis a vis Bill Wallace utube) and possibly some Isometrics? Am i wasting my time? Will your new book make me really depressed by showing me a faster, better and easier way to do a Ura Mawashageri Jodan?
    Please let me down gently.
    P.S. If you reply to this does that mean i get a free book???? (i had to ask)

9. liero

liero Valued Member

While this thread has been resurected...hows the book going?

and the hip?

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Book and hip are going well, thanks :cool:

11. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

Is that you in your new avatar, Superfoot? EPIC! :D

Edit:

Just so you know, I think the link to your website is broken...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  12. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

hurry up with the book

13. AndyT

AndyT Valued Member

Nudge... any news on the book?

14. undecidedartist

undecidedartist New Member

well i don't know if you need any more help but I will post anyway, besides I have also had a question for you I haven't got around to asking. Well first the question... When performing dynamic stretches to the side should you leave your planted foot straight or turn it to the side to open your hips like you would to help increase height for kicks? And as for my stretching experiences.. Well originally when I started stretching I got fairly flexible fairly quickly but I hit a plateau until I ran across your sticky on this site, and read it thoroughly. It helped incredibly. I seen amazing gains in the 1st week. Problems I have encountered: As someone said before, the need to lean back to get that height in my kicks. Also, when going down towards the splits, my legs, especially the knees, were too weak. Also, the inside of my thighs will continuously be sore and it feels like a problem I can't get rid of. I still can see little gains but they seem to have lessened and nearly plateaued. My routine is wake up do warm up, joint rotations, dynamic stretches, then relaxed stretches. Then later in the day warm up and joint rotations followed by dynamic, sometimes static active, sometimes isometric, then relaxed stretches. I haven't been doing strength training or cardio lately. Which is horrible I need to start again, but I have been trying to keep up with stretching to at least keep the body loose and limber. Well sorry for making this post so long, I guess to summarize: my main problems have been weak legs and knees, I also originally had problems with dynamic stretches, making them more ballistic. I also would like to know if I should take a break and allow my inner thighs to recover since they are nearly continuously sore? Thanks.

15. undecidedartist

undecidedartist New Member

Another thing I forgot to mention was another bad habit of mine, during kicks and sometimes dynamic stretches my body seems to want me to go on the ball of my foot to increase kicking height. I know i shouldn't be, but my body naturally likes doing it to me.

16. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

5BX

Hey 5BX... the Canadian Air Force Fitness routine got me through my 20's and has left me still able to play rugby, judo , kf in my 50's...

Anything Van Zandt can add to this would definitely be useful for most people!!

My biggest problem is probably the amount of time to work out to maintain my flexibility since I have lots of other things to do, the styles I practice are not that concerned with higher kicks (so not used that frequently) and I get bashedup alot which tightens everything even more. It would be nice to have free easy mobility with lots of functional power without having to spend an inordinate amount of time to achieve this...

Looking forward to seeing what you have written Van Zandt!!

powchoy

17. toakungfu

toakungfu Valued Member

ideas for a good book.

my contribution (and take this as a "gimme gimme! wanna see the book now" aswell)

a picture say more than a thousand words, i think it is upmost important especially in stretching that there is a ton of pictures in it. since alot of expression is used about body parts not everybody might know exactly where are.
    also in addition to this i would recommend make a "naked" man, where you can see the name of all the parts that is being mentioned in the book highligthed, like a guide to understand what is being sayd (flex your hips while pressing your triceps against the wall and all that should be outlined completely)

also make different workouts for people in different stages.
    examples:
    old Black belt trying to get flexibility back: 200 squats. run after the bus jump down in split!

young 20 year old marathon / olympic lifter: just get down in that split!

2 hours of kungfu per week boy wanna do ninja jumps: don't do it you will be hurt!
    just examples not what i think people should do :)

personally for me what i need is structure, structure and structure. when you read soemthing, the next day you read soemthing else. and it is always like that.

maybe a section for exercises that can be done by people with certain injuries?

just my 2 cent. can't wait to see the book really :)

18. Kumgang

Kumgang Valued Member

Hi Van Zandt :)

How is it going with your book.
    When do you think will be a first version available?
    I am eager to read it.

THX & regards
    Mike