New book - your help needed!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Van Zandt, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I'm in the process of writing my first book on flexibility training. It'll be different to the likes of Kurz, Tsatsouline & Zaichik for a number of reasons:

1. It does away with stretching of all forms.

2. It is tailored specifically for martial artists (kickers and grapplers).

3. It provides easy-to-follow routines with guidance on specific numbers of sets, reps, duration, etc.

4. You can have a say in it.

I need your help with the last one. I need to know your biggest flexibility problems (i.e tight hamstrings, groin, etc), your usual routine and rate of progress, stretching horror stories, and anything else you're not sure about in terms of flexibility - and what you would like to see in this book.

Anyone who helps will get a writing credit and a free copy when it's published. Post your input in this thread.

Cheers!

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I've never had a problem with hamstring flexibility. Axe kicks, static stretches in that position are no problem.

Even side splits don't give me too much grief. At 40 I'm not quite down but could get there with a bit of work.

What gives me trouble is box splits and side kick position. I can get a side kick up to head height, but only if my upper body is leant way back. I can't get a wide V on box splits.

Similarly, picking up the front leg and jabbing out high section repeated side kicks, that old ITF-style staple, is very difficult without leaning back and losing forward momentum.

I sometimes feel like the flexibility down my sides, over my ribs, is also an issue if that makes any sense?

Is that helpful?

Mitch

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Cheers Mitch. Exactly the type of post I was after :cool:

Already got a couple of exercises in mind to address that.

And that. :)

I understand what you mean. It gives me something extra to think about. Does it affect your ability to do TKD in any way?

Very, thank you :)

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

PM'd you

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

:cool:

6. Mitch

It changes the way I do it. But it makes me squarer and use my hands more so I don't have a problem with it as I view those as more important anyway :)

I would like to develop that lead leg strength and flexibility, which I think, as I suspect you do, is based on strength rather than flexibility as such.

Here's an interesting story. I stopped doing the traditional stretches at my club to any great extent a few years ago. I did leg raises, squats and similar instead.

I haven't got a detailed study of the results for you, but I can report my impressions.

I think injuries have gone down. Doing leg raises etc rather than passive stretching at the start of class has served to warm students up well.

I think most students have benefited from the program in terms of the speed and delivery of their mid-section kicks.

However, I have some younger students (pre-teens) who do not seem to have developed as kickers. They kick low, poorly and generally slowly. They are part of a peer group of 5/6 so it may be simple coincidence reinforced by lack of peer pressure.

Similarly I think the high section kicks of older students have not developed. This may be because they are simply getting older, or it may be because the strength benefits are being balanced by age related flexibility problems, or it may be my failure to design a specific routine for them rather than just performing a generic one. The same may of course be true for the group of pre teens.

I still think the principles I'm following are correct, but I think that I need to apply them in a more specific manner for different students. I think I also need to develop beyond the basics into routines that progress my students and myself.

I would like to see routines for different age groups. So, specify a routine for pre-teens, teens, etc etc.

I don't know how much difference it makes but it might even be worth doing a beginners, intermediate and advanced level for each age range.

Finally, I know from when I've done grappling classes or full contact self defence seminars with JWT that my older students often mention that the next day they feel like they've been run over by a train.

Now, these people, with kids, jobs and commitments are the least able to spend a day barely able to walk. I'm not exaggerating with that btw, I mean slow and shuffling zombie style :). So they need somehting less sport-specific (can you tell how much the word sport sticks in my throat? :) ), something that will help them out.

Now, suddenly I remember my dad doing 4BX (5BX?) every morning right through to his 60's. A general programme of exercises that took him about 30 mins that he did every morning. He's now a sprightly octogenarian :D.

So I think one of the general benefits would be a wide ranging, broadly applicable routine that would serve people well as they trained in different arts and got older.

PLus if you could stop my back hurting that would be good? Adding 10kg to my deadlift whilst cold and changing my technique turned out not to have been my best idea :confused:

Mitch

7. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

My calves give me a lot of problems but that may be a genetic thing (i know i know, its 'my genes' excuse) My son, neice and sister all walk on their toes, I am struggling to get my son to stretch regular because he is a lazy ****. My physio was surprised at how tight my calves are (It takes a LOT of effort to just push my toes towards my shin and get a flat perpendicular angle between foot and leg, if you follow me, and this is whilst I am relaxed and chillin after a warm up and calf massage). Hamstrings are not to bad but could do with more work. Now my groin, if i may, Whilst adopting horse stance i get a pull in my right hip joint on the inside of my leg and in to my groin. I have never been able to do the splits, not that i have any real desire to, but I would like to be more flexible than i need to be. One more area i would like to improve would be my back, specifically lower and upper-middle. Car crash injury has made it quite stiff and tight. Don't know if you will cover back stretches (Keeps fingers crossed) so thought i'd mention it. Good luck with the book, hope it writes itself.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

That's probably due to your joints and connective tissues becoming more stable as a result of focusing more on strength than stretching. A lot of people have the misconception that strength training reduces flexibility, when in fact it improves it more than "stretching"!

Hmm... something I need to look into :thinking:

All the research I've looked at over the years has shown me that flexibility (and kicking) is best improved between the ages of 25 and 39, and even after this range (40+) it's generally easier and faster to make improvements more than between the ages of 16 and 24 (contrary to popular belief). I have also designed most of the methods in this book specifically for older athletes.

This is definitely something for me to consider, and will most likely feature in the book. Thank you for this suggestion :cool:

Sadly no amount of flexibility training will prevent soreness if a person exceeds his or her limits. However, I have included guidelines to reduce the effect of soreness and to get rid of it quickly.

The main theme of the book will be developing the ability to do splits and high kicks, but I will also cover specific routines for other sports and general healthy living (i.e. non-sports specific).

Pre-had and re-hab for the back features heavily in the book :cool:

Thanks for your input Mitch, definitely given me some food for thought.

You'll be pleased to know I cover the back and calves in the book. And just about every other muscle group! :D No stretches, just basic exercises that develop strength through the full range of motion - which is crucial to healthy, supple and stable joints and muscles. As I mentioned in my reply to Mitch's posts, back care is a strong point throughout the book (developing the ability to kick high and do the splits places a great deal of stress upon the back, something Kurz, Tsatsouline and Zaichik fail to mention in their books!)

Thanks again for your input guys, it's a great help. Like I said, anyone who provides input to this thread (with a bit of effort, obviously - see TKDMitch & SpikeD's posts as an example) will get a writing credit and a free copy of the book when it is published.

9. Mitch

I wonder if it would be possible to put together some short daily routines?

10 minutes that I can do in the morning or evening to build flexibility.

Is there a need for changing routine regularly? If so could you design a rotating programme?

It's sounding like a very interesting project Superfoot :)

Mitch

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The aim of the book will be to make the reader self-sufficient. That is, they "pick & mix" exercises from the available list according to their goals and follow the advice on how to structure workouts accordingly. This, I hope, will enable the reader to pass on this advice to their own students (or athletes, if they're a sports coach). I'll also include example routines of how to choose exercises and arrange workouts.

The human body is a very smart piece of machinery and adapts very quickly. I hope to highlight this rate of adjustment and how/when you should change up your routines and exercises.

Cheers mate. Got to admit, your input has been nothing short of exceptional! :cool:

11. Mitch

It's only because I'm so stiff all the time.

Did that sound dirty?

MItch :D

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

:rolleyes:

13. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I have horribly tight hamstrings and no amount of passive stretching has ever made much difference, so as Mitch say, some short daily routines would be a good idea. A mix of routines that can be done on waking, those that can be done pre and post workout and those that could be done on days off would be good.

I also have reduced ankle flexibility following a major sprain a few years ago and anything that could help with that would be good, as I think it is limiting my squatting ability. Admittedly it might be partially due to scar tissue in the joint but I haven't got round to seeing if I can get and orthopaedic consult on it yet. So mobility type exercises for the obvious problem areas might be a good idea (if that is in the direction you're thinking about) - e.g. ankles, hip flexors, shoulders etc.

14. Mitch

Ditto on the ankle thing.

Mitch

15. AndyT

AndyT Valued Member

Superfoot,

Sounds very interesting..... when do you think you’ll have the book ready?

It would be nice to have details on the physiology of the basic, and ideally some of the more advanced kicks, and which exercises relate to each of those muscle groups.

As suggested by Mitch, having a section for pre-teens would be very good.

There are so many methods of stretching out there at the moment, it would be nice to give a brief synopsis of each of the major ones, with pros and cons of each, and then explain why your methods are better/more suitable.

I was surprised when at a recent seminar to be told that the best way to warm up is to stretch.... using passive stretching, as it get’s the blood into the muscles. This was advice from your name sake, and using this I’ve actually found there are fewer injuries.

Having a section on post-workout ‘care’ and working with injuries.

Have you considered a companion DVD? It’s always easier to see a stretch/exercise performed correctly as opposed to just reading about the correct method of doing the described exercise.

I’ll have a good think and ask friends, and either post here or PM you.

All the best,

Andy

16. GaryT85

GaryT85 Super Gario

this is pretty much exactly what i would have thrown in, so it gets a +1 from me...

maybe some varied length routines, incase we cant always fit in a 'full' routine for whatever reason on whatever day and time... at least if someone is running short on time, they can pick a shorter one and not have wasted time

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Frodocious,

The book will explain exactly why stretching is redundant for improving flexibility.

The good news is you will be able to tailor the duration of each routine to suit your needs and time constraints. The better news is you won't have to do flexibility work every day.

Thank you for this. I will certainly keep it in mind.

As a little side note - I showed the outline of the book to my physiotherapist, and explained the theory behind it, and she thinks it will be great for rehabilitation of sports injuries. Hopefully I can include information that will help you with your ankle problem!

Andy,

Thanks. I want to be the one to pose for the photographs in the book as a testament to its effectiveness. To show that I went from full hip replacement surgery with limited mobility to full splits without a warm-up. I think this [book] is a vast improvement on what I've practiced previously, so I'm aiming to hit the floor in the splits within 3 months; my guess is the release date will be around October-November time.

Anatomy, physiology, and kinesiology of movement is one of the prevalent themes throughout the book. One thing I've found by visiting numerous clubs is that a lot of people don't know the mechanics of the movement; I think it's important to have at least a basic understanding of how the body works, in order to prevent poor technique and injury. I'd love this book to be used as an educational reference! :D

Thanks for this suggestion. I do make comparisons in the introduction, and in fact avoid "stretching" completely in the book. I explain why stretching is not only the least effective method for improving flexibility, but can also be detrimental to your training and overall health. A stretching book without stretching - sounds odd, doesn't it? But I also point out in the book that it is important for the reader not be narrow-minded and choose just one method, but to experiment with various methods to find the one that best suits them.

One thing I've found about Mr. Wallace - and it is something I like very much - is that he is constantly evolving his teaching methods. He doesn't remain stuck in one way of training and is always looking for new ways to progress. I admire that about him. I'm sure given his educational background (MSc in Kinesiology for those who don't know) he has ample reasons for teaching passive stretching during the warm-up phase. My own research has shown me progress is better made by avoiding stretching altogether, and this book is a medium for me to get that message across to the masses. But as I said earlier in this post, I always want to advise the reader(s) to take from multiple sources of information and come up with a method that best suits them. But I'd sure love to meet Mr. Wallace and exchange stretching ideas with him!

Already done ;) But, thanks again for the suggestion.

Never thought about that and it's a great suggestion, but I think I'd like to see what the feedback on the book is like first. If people would prefer a visual guide, then I'll certainly consider doing a DVD.

Thanks for your awesome suggestions!

18. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

can you put anything about ankle flexibility in the book? specifically about the dorsiplantar flexion range of motion, since i seem to be physically incapable of properly flexing my ankles in that motion, to the point where i can't even squat without falling on my ass (my ankle just locks in place and my knees won't go any lower, then gravity takes over, much to my frustration).

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thanks for the suggestion, and it will certainly go on the list! :cool:

20. Mitch

Can you put a good deal of thought into exactly how you can personally do a detailed and demanding stretching routine with superb results.

And then, like, magically transfer those results to me with no effort on my part?

Mitch