New book - sneak peak!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Van Zandt, May 14, 2010.

1. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

We're all torqued about it! :D

2. proteinnerd

proteinnerd Valued Member

Not even isometrics? or are they considered a strengthening exercise?

3. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

In response to everyone talking about grammar mistakes and the colloquial style of writing...

Personally I like it! The purpose of this book is to teach us about flexibility, not to appear in the literature section of the bookstore next to Shakespeare and Jane Austin.

The little jokes, grammar mistakes and conversational style of writing is kinda cute and fun, and down to earth. It makes it easier to relate to, feels more personal, doesn't make me feel like I'm reading another boring text book, and it shows the writer's personality. It's like "F*** grammar! I'm not a writer...I'm just here to teach you how you can kick yourself in the back of the head!" :D lol

4. Suhosthe

Suhosthe A dwarf! A dwarf!

I totally agree. It reminded me of the introduction to The Great Cholesterol Con by Kendrick; witty, provocative, and engaging. On the plus side, yours was shorter and absent any sarcasm which, over the course of Kendrick's book gets a little wearing (though it does serve to make a dry and difficult message memorable and entertaining).

If you're curious to know, I would read on with interest from the intro you've got there. And, in fact, I will. You know, when the book's done and all. :)

5. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

So after an intro telling me what not to do, I guess I'll need to fork out to find what I am to do!! :thinking:

I've been struggling with flexibility ever since I got into MA.
    Although my current art doesn't require it, I'd still like it.

So I can become flexible without stretching?
    I think I'll buy into your program out of raw curiosity! ;)
    If I bought it off Amazon, how would I apply for the 50% discount?
    Do you give us a code?

6. Patrick Smith

Van Zandt should be back sometime in August, and then I'm sure he'll answer all your questions and finally release the book! For now, I suggest you follow the routine in the thread Stretching for High Kicks. :)

7. 7heTexanRebel

7heTexanRebel Valid Member

This looks like It'll be an awesome book, I will definitely buy it!

8. Ninjuries

Ninjuries The Man Who Genbukan Supporter

Awww pants - I was hoping it was out already!

Gah I am actually excited. :)

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Hi guys, sorry for not getting back to you until now. I realise some of you have been anticipating this book for some time, but there are more setbacks I'm afraid. I don't know if you read my re-introduction thread, but I returned from teaching martial arts in the States prematurely because of problems with my legs. I'm awaiting operations to fix a fault with the prosthesis in my left hip, and to replace my right hip and left knee. I'm on crutches - will be for a long time after the ops too - so my ability to do splits or high kicks is nil. I don't know when, or even if, I will return to stretching and kicking.

This presents a problem with publishing the book because, while the text is complete, I have not taken any photos. I don't know if/when that will happen. But every cloud has a silver lining - I'm considering releasing the text as a free PDF ebook for those of you who aren't bothered about pictures.

10. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

So just crayon then? Surely you could draw some stickmen?

11. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Mate, you've got the knowledge, you've got the experience and theres obviously a market for a book like this. I know its not ideal, but you could consider using a (suitably flexible model(s)) to illustaite your points? I've read many martial art books where the techniques aren't always being demonstrated by the author. I bet you've got some photos of yourself kicking and stretching that could be included here and there.

Maybe you even have an ex student who would do the job? Or theres someone flexible enough on this board?

Think long and hard before you release the text as a freebie, I think you could still produce a publishable book

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

If only my stickmen didn't look like Alex Reid's missus.

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

In all seriousness. All the resources you need for the photos are here on Map free. Get the photos done and talk to a publisher

14. proteinnerd

proteinnerd Valued Member

Sorry to hear the injuries are still giving you problems, hope they get sorted soon.

You could just get some really hot girl in skimpy tights to pose for the photos, I'm sure not many people would complain. I'd be happy to run the the audition process for you
    :D

15. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

re: photos for the book

chloe bruce?

you know you want to :p

16. liero

liero Valued Member

This is sadness.

You could give the book too a person dedicated enough to follow the program and have pre and post shots taken.

17. Patrick Smith

As Snoop already asked, isn't using a model or student possible? You have everything but pictures, but they should be quite easy to get. I would be more then happy to do it for you, but neither my kicking ability nor my flexibility are high enough to do the demonstration you need.

Not so serious suggestion: maybe you could ask Bill Wallace :p

18. danny4114

danny4114 Valued Member

I am dissapointed D:

I like the pre and post picture idea though, your bound to find someone on here willing to do it for you :)

19. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Yep totally agree.

You tell us what you want and we will deliver.

Lets get it done.

20. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Totally, dude. Summon the legions of MAP in the name of justice.