New book - sneak peak!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Van Zandt, May 14, 2010.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Just as a stylistic point, don't let colloquial become a feature at the expense of flow. Remember that people will (hopefully) read the book more than once.

Now, many people will read "No, that isn’t a typo and I’m not drunk." and find it funny and refreshing.

Once.

How many will read it twice and think it's funny, or just think it's getting in the way?

Three times?

Four?

Similarly, for me that phrase makes the book sound too much like one of those internet adverts where the guy talks about, "secrets the army don't want you to know."

I'm sure other people will read it differently, but I think there's a fine line to tread between being colloquial and actually underselling your knowledge and experience. Don't be afraid to express your expertise, that's why people will buy your book, you just need to find a way to express it in a way that is easy to understand but which also bears re-reading.

Hope that makes sense :)

Utterly-inflexible-Mitch

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thanks Mitch. Your response made a lot of sense, and I understand exactly where you're coming from. The original draft was a cut-and-dry text on how to get flexible. It was a bit yawn inducing. By injecting a few colloquial phrases here and there, it has become a bit more "fun" to read. (Because, let's face it, reading about this sort of stuff can get rather mind-numbingly boring!). The rest of the book goes into greater detail than the introduction, with sprinklings of Army humour and my typical bluntness ya'll know and love here on MAP :D

3. liero

liero Valued Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure you got all the important people...

Im going to have to agree with mitch, you dont want the colloquialisms all through the piece.

However, the introduction is where you get the chance to really show your opinion and let a bit of your personality into the book. While I might read your book multiple times, normally it woud be to check up on specific chapters that I'd be working on or areas struggling with, Odds are I wont be reading through your intro every time I look at the book (unless I am mentioned multiple times).

The writing style you have so far is a nice change from the fitness literature I have read IMO, its no nonsense and relatively straight to the point, reminds me of when I first read ross enamaits stuff AKA the quintesential guides to becoming awesomely fit.

Hopefully your book will be the quintessential guide to becoming awesomely flexible and achieving kick mastery.

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

eh? he's not talking about the splits and high kicks, he's talking about doing the splits and high kicks

high kicks and splits are easy

doing them is easy (or they will be post-book assimilation :D)

replace 'them' with 'splits and high kicks' or 'high kicks and splits' with 'they' and the sentences read the same.

5. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

The little Argentinian is right. Although it took him pointing it out for me to realise why I felt uncomfortable with it being 'are'.

roflcopter.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm with mitch on this.
    It's a very fine line but I found using things like "BS" a little off putting. I'm hesitant to make a point of it because I can see that it reflects your attitude and your style and can make the book entertaining (especially in bits you aren't going to read many times) but it seemed a little internet-ish.
    I'm sure your book will be great with or without those little touches so don't take this that seriously. The information is the important thing.

Already the information is great and I can't wait to read the next parts. :)

Flexibility has become such muddy waters (as have many aspects of fitness it seems to me) that a book of this type is going to be a great addition.

Personally I'd err on the side of making the book mostly about developing "functional flexibility" (good title perhaps!) than kicking skill. Most people are happy with the way they kick (stylistically) but want to develop those kicks.
    For example if there are sections about doing multiple kicks off one leg I'll skip that section as I don't kick like that anymore.
    I've no idea how technical the "how to kick" section will be but I'd say there's far less need for such information compared to easy to follow flexibility advice.
    Perhaps I'm taking half "flexibility" and half "how to kick" to literally?
    For me the stuff I want to know is how to develop flexibility, how to develop kick dexterity and conditioning my legs for kicking but *not* so much "how to kick".
    I can see MMA, Thai, TKD guys and others using this material and they will all generally end up kicking how they want (appropriate to their sport) rather than how you *might* say how to do it in this book.

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thanks for your input, Liero. The purpose of writing the book is for people to be able to pick it up, read it, understand it first time and drop to the floor in the splits within a few weeks/months. If it doesn't achieve that goal, then I've failed.

The Little Argentinian is a rather switched on fellow. You'd be forgiven for thinking he is British. I'll send him an extra free gift with the copy of his book, but I haven't decided if it's going to be a copy of "The Concise History of the Falklands War" or a pair of Yah-Yah's panties.

Thanks PASmith.

Ironically, my wife read through the draft and she said to me, "Do you realise the only person who will find this funny is you?" Maybe it's her where I get the straight-talking attitude from :(

I'll take on board what you have all said and speak to my editor about it when we meet on Friday. He wanted me to take off the "funny" hat and just keep it as a straight-talking, no-nonsense guide to flexibility. I can see it going that way eventually.

I kick like Bill Wallace and I didn't want this book to become a "Dynamic Stretching and Kicking" clone. The kicking sections are focused more on how to develop the attributes of kicking (i.e. increasing limb dexterity, speed, power, accuracy, endurance, balance etc) than teaching the reader how to kick like Bill Wallace. Is this kind of what you meant?

8. Fish Of Doom

i'll take the panties. once your book gets famous, underwear used by the people in the pictures is going to be worth MILLIONS!

:D

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The kicking sections are focused more on how to develop the attributes of kicking (i.e. increasing limb dexterity, speed, power, accuracy, endurance, balance etc) than teaching the reader how to kick like Bill Wallace. Is this kind of what you meant?

Abso-frickin'-lutely.
    Attributes...exactly what I was scrabbling round to describe.
    So a person can take that advice and kick like Bill, or like Buakaw, or cro-cop, or Hoost or whoever. But whichever way you choose to kick it will help you.

Carry on. :)

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The moment I think I have the upper hand, you come back with a put-down that sits me on my ass :mad:

[​IMG]

;)

Awesome. :)

11. Fish Of Doom

i try :)

12. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

Now that you mention it, I think you're right! :cool:

13. madknight

madknight Valued Member

I really can't wait for this! The introduction sounds good and I like your writing style. I'm really looking forward to the whole thing.

14. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

The question is though, will it work for us geriatrics?
    Best of luck dude, sounds good so far.

15. Kumgang

Kumgang Valued Member

Hi Van Zandt

I´m a new member of the martialartsplanet board and very interesting in flexibility training.
    I already read some books about flexibility ,Tom Kurz, Paul Zaichik and Pavel Tsatsouline.
    I would also love to read your book.
    The introduction makes me curious for more.
    Where and when will it be available?

THX
    Kumgang

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  16. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

So excited I just can't hide it! When can we expect release? Will it be available for us Yanks?

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thanks guys. :hat:

ArthurKing,

The methods in the book will work for anyone with normal bone structure, regardless of age. As a matter of fact, an 83-year old client of mine very recently achieved the ability to slide into full splits within four months using this training programme. The quickest was a 22-year old student from New York, who did it in six days. Most other people hit it somewhere in between.

Kumgang,

The book will be available later this year (no specific release date just yet), and will be available via Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Waterstones. If none of these sites ship to your country, I will send it to you personally.

Ranzan,

Still no specific release date yet (recently made a pretty major breakthrough with a research study so gone back and done some re-writes). Definitely this year though. It will be ship to every country, especially the States, but if you have problems via the big websites listed above get in contact and I'll send it personally.

The book won't be too expensive, but all MAP members will receive up to a 50% discount off the cover price. Like I've said, the goal isn't to make money but to teach folks how to do full splits and high kicks at any time of day without a warm-up, quickly and without injury. Most folks don't believe me when I say there is no stretching involved!

18. Kumgang

Kumgang Valued Member

Many thanks in advice, that sounds great Van Zandt!!!
    I can´t wait to get my hands on it :).

Regards

19. hawkfish

hawkfish Shodan - Shotokan Karate

Your introduction looks great and I am really looking forward to your book!

I have tried just about every stretching device and book around and am more confused than flexible. Your book sounds like just what I need.

20. abij

abij New Member

I'm much more of a lurker here than a poster but just wanted to say I'm really excited about your book coming out, can't wait!