New book recommandation?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by oldyangtaiji, Jul 22, 2008.

1. oldyangtaiji

oldyangtaiji Old Yang Taijiquan

I want to buy a (new) book about Taijiquan Classics/Principles. I found some books that could be interesting to read.

Explanations of the Tai Chi Principles:
    - Stalking Yang Lu-chan by Robin Johnson
    - Anatomy of Yang Family Tai Chi by Steffan de Graffenried
    Translations of the Tai Chi Classics:
    - Drawing Silk: Masters' Secrets for Successful Tai Chi Practice by Paul Gallagher
    - Wu Style Tai Chi Chuan (Gold Book) by Wu Kung Cho

Any comment or recommandation for these books? Thanks.

2. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

I highly recommend "The Amazing Exploits of Spiderman", by the Marvel Consortium.
    It fully expounds the principles of Taijiquan (sticking, wall-climbing, web-slinging etc.) and is an interesting read ... particularly the bit that exposes the fallacy of young Parker being bitten by a radioactive spider. Turns out to be a myth! In fact he was bitten by CMC who thus infected him with profound taiji principles, enabling amazing feats of acrobatic herring hoo!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  3. Rebo Paing

A principle isn't going to change from one book to another.

Seriously, I'll let you onto a secret ... if you REALLY want to teach yourself taiji principles (so that your body knows how to move) get a friend, or pay someone who lives near you, to attack you with a broom-stick, every-time they see you regardless of where you are or what you're doing.
    Get them to sign a contract so that you both agree that the beating is NOT to stop until you're lying unconscious, or that you run away, and you undertake not to bear malice or injure your benefactor in any way shape or form during the life of the contract or in perpetuity due to the nature of the contract.

Please video it to allow us the privilege to observe the developmental metamorphosis into a taiji master. :D

4. old palden

old palden Valued Member

The Tao of Tai Ji Chuan by Jou, Tsung Hwa
    The Power of Internal Martial Arts by BK Frantzis

5. oldyangtaiji

Walang Kadung - Thanks for your recommendation.
    For you there is the book "Alice in Wonderland" where you can use your Tai Chi.

6. Rebo Paing

Ahh .. so this "Alice in Wonderland" is the book where you get your primary inspiration to learn taiji then? It's your taiji text book yes? ;)

7. oldyangtaiji

8. oldyangtaiji

I heard many good opinions about the book "Effortless Combat Throws" by Cartmell. It is also a good book from the striker perspective?

9. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Talk about butterfly martial artist, flitting from one book to another, picking up a scentence here, a phrase there but never really understanding the deep meaning that only training (if we are going to call what you do training) from a book can give.

So, do you train from one book at a time of do you just pick and choose the bits you like?

10. oldyangtaiji

liokault - I asked for recommandations of the book not for your frustrated assault. Please be more constructive and less offensive. Thanks.

11. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Yep it's a very good book. It's primarily about the principles of throwing and also shows a series of throwing applications to train with a partner - with lots of detail and from various set ups. There's a good bit on body mechanics, allignment with exercises to help. I think they are from Tims Dynamic Balance programme.. There is also a video of this title too to go with the book, but it's much harder to get hold of..

It's a great all round book but doesn't cover striking. I would highly recomend it.

12. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

You want constructive?.....ok.....go and do some actual training.

13. oldyangtaiji

Thanks for the review!

14. oldyangtaiji

liokault - You could also do so. :p