New AND confused

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by electrobes, Nov 11, 2003.

1. electrobes

electrobes Valued Member

Well I want to take up a martial art, but am confused about a couple of things. I would like to learn a weapon... am after much research and discovery of my ownself realized that I like either escrima sticks or sais. My problem: Is one supposed to go through a martial art (like kung fu, karate, Hapkido, etc) before starting a weapon? And are weapons specific to a style of fighting? I tried the martial art selector for fun and it listed 1) Jeet Kun do, 2) Escrima 3) Kick Boxing (another I am interested in) 4) Modern Arnis, and 5) Thai Boxing... My top five. In your opinions... which would be best to follow. Before I forget to mention I am pretty sure Sais teaching may not be available in Gainesville, but I think Escrima is. Thank you so much everyone! I love this site, it has been the most helpful by FAR!

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Welcome Electrobes,

I'm putting my money on Eskrima, as it is so much more than just a weapon system for you.

Glad you are enjoying the site.

Andy

3. electrobes

electrobes Valued Member

"as it is so much more than just a weapon system for you" - I don't understand what you meant by this... : )

4. morphus

morphus Doobrey

"I'm putting my money on Eskrima," yep i'll go along with that followed closely by JKD. It can depend on the teacher...get a good'n that you're comfortalbe with, thats important.

5. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

If you are looking for sai training I suggest looking at okinawan karate dojos. Chances are good that they will have a kobudo (weapons) class. They probably will train a weapon for a few weeks or months and then move onto the next and rotate through all the weapons this way. Bo, Tonfa, Sai, nunchaku, and kama and maybe a few others are usually part of the corriculum.

Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for.

Im over in melbourne so if you ever come this way give a shout :)

6. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Let me third the suggestion of escrima (or arnis or kali for that matter). You're going to start with sticks (which teach sword and knife at the same time). And they all progress to teaching other weapons and empty hands at higher levels. Since the weapon in your passion, it makes the most sense to start with it.

Plus (little secret here), if you're taught a Filipino art correctly, you'll be able to pick up the Sai's at a later point without much problem becuase you'll have already learned the concepts that drive the application of the weapon type.

Hope this helps,

- matt

7. Jim

Jim New Member

I got $20 on the Escrima and, DJ - spin that wheel!

Hey, electrobes, just go to classes and try it. Technically, yes you can do weaponry without MA but it'll be up to the class instructor that you go to who will determine how they'll teach you.

Let us know how you go.

8. electrobes

electrobes Valued Member

cool.. I hope to find one that teaches Escrima.. to my knowledge there are two places that teach any martial art that i know of - by any I mean a martial art, not all - I'm so excited! For some reason I am drawn more towards weapon training.. things like escrima and sais look like great fun, I just wish I had gotten into MA when I was a child! : )

9. electrobes

electrobes Valued Member

Okay... Escrima it is then : ) my other question is how long, or what size should the escrima sticks be?

10. Jim

Jim New Member

The instructor will go through that with you.

11. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Depends on the style - 26-28" is the norm, though I use 31"

12. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

It's an issue :D

13. Jim

Jim New Member

As I said - ask your instructor.

14. morphus

morphus Doobrey

Yoda - got bigger sticks to make for other areas?:D :rolleyes:

15. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Big sticks, fast shinny car, hmmm...... ;)

16. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

One can learn through an unarmed style but you seem to be alittle confused about terminology. MA refers to all fighting arts not just unarmed fighting. So if you learned a weapon through formal training it would be learning the weapon through MA just not a primarly Unarmed one.

Haha Yoda's compensating.
    *ducks any erant escrima that may come flying his way while running away*

SPOON