networking stuff

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by jabcrosshook, Aug 15, 2006.

1. hello :D

Just wiped my computer and (finally) reinstalled my modem, however I now have a problem with the network.. it doesn't exist :(

The router is all connected up, but I can't see how to get an internet connection running on the other computers :( Before, I could open the network connections window, right click my connection and select properties. From there, I could click "advanced" and then tick a box to allow the other connected computers to share the connection. Now, the advanced tab just has a firewall option.

How can I share the connection between the 3 computers in the house? :bang:

Thankks :)

2. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Are you connecting via an ADSL modem through 1 PC, and sharing out that connection, or connecting directly via a router, and trying to connect individual PC's to the router?

Is it a wired or wireless network?

3. USB ADSL modem is connected to this PC. The other 2 computers are connected via a switch box thing (forgotten what they're called :eek:) with ethernet cables. It's all wired.

1 final thing... as it's not a particularly good modem, I have to set it up as a dial up modem, and use the dialling code 0,38 and then put in my broadband name and password. This shouldn't be too much of a problem though (I hope) as I've networked dial-up connections before.

4. Wali

Wali Valued Member

The ICS option only appears when all of these are true:

1. There are at least two enabled, connected network connections: one
    for the Internet, and one or more for the LAN.

2. The Internet Connection Firewall is disabled on the LAN
    connection(s).

3. The Internet connection isn't bridged.

Hope this helps!

5. OK, before I say anything it's worth mentioning that on a scale of 1-10, my knowlege of computers is about 1 :)

1. 2 of the computers are on at the moment (the host and one other). This has caused 2 lights to come on (4 if you count the ones that indicate data is being sent and received aswell).
    2. The firewall option on the advanced tab is unchecked, if that's what you mean.
    3. Not sure what that means :(

Interestingly, there is no Local area connection icon in my Network connections window. There was before. Do I have to set one up? And if so, how (without using that bloody useless thing under the network tasks heading on the network connections window)?

Thanks for your help

6. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

You could make it loads simpler by getting a router, pluggin the modem in to the router and all the PC's into the router.

7. Wali

Wali Valued Member

I would hazard a guess that this is your problem. Right-click 'My Computer' and select 'Manage'. Click on 'Device Manager'. Expand 'Network Adapters', and ensure that you have the NIC (Network Card) drivers installed properly. You said you rebuilt your machine, and sometimes the drivers aren't available in the standard XP installation. If you don't, then install the drivers for your NIC, reboot your PC, and check if the Internet Connection Sharing option has been made available.

Good Luck!

8. True, but with already having 2 USB modems and 2 ethernet switches (don't ask why.. you'll regret it ;)), it would be a lot cheaper to use these :)

You, Wali, are a god.

9. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Glad your sorted mate...

10. Hehe... so all the computers can go online now BUT after about 10 minutes this ceases and only the host can go online. In the network window, there is an internet gateway icon, but then after a while it simply disappears and I have to restart the host computer to get the rest back online for another 10 minutes. Quite weird :s

Included is a picture of what the network connections window looks like when all computers are connected (this is not from the host PC) and then the top icon disappears. Any more ideas ? :p

[​IMG]

EDIT: All fixed... restored my computer to a time before the modem was installed, reinstalled it, set the network up and it's all fine now. Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006