Netscape trouble - help needed :)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by dragon_bunny, Jul 3, 2004.

1. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

pretty much everytime i click on a link i get told that connect was refused when attempting to contact the address. BUT it usually works on the 2/3 go.
    Any ideas whats causing this? and how to fix it.
    I just upgraded to broadband.. don't think thats the problem but just thought it might help to know :)

Thank you

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Are you sure that you have all the correct settings, e.g. DNS etc?

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

4. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

damnit, he got there before me :( :D:D

5. dragon_bunny

take it that means i can't fix it?

um ok now it's kinda doing the same thing with explorer so i'm thinking it's a problem with my comp.. any ideas?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2004
  6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Post the exact error/message you get and we will be able to help you.

Cheers. :)

7. dragon_bunny

the message says
    connect was refused when attempting to contact the address.

plus norton anti virus refuses to accept i'm online and update *sigh*

8. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

Just use the mozilla brower that everyone was suggesting. Its awesome - no more pop ups, malware etc..

9. dragon_bunny

but it was doing it too... i turned of the script blocking on norton cause thats the last thing i remeber fiddling with before it all happened and now my browers work fine but not norton ah well.. :)

i have down loaded mozilla and it is prety funky so thank you for that :)

10. dragon_bunny

ok scrap that it's still doing it just not as often.

11. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Just a quick thought:

Can you browse to other Anti-virus sites.

There are some viruses that stop you from updating your anti-virus signature, or even block you from going to an anti-virus based http://.

Cheers. :)

12. dragon_bunny

i tried going to the norton anti virus update web page to update my definitions but it wouldn't let me..
    so you think i have a virus? bleh :(
    will download it from my mums laptop and figure it out ::)
    thanks for the help :)

13. Don Davies

Don Davies Valued Member

It could be norton thats causing all the problems. I worked at a place where they refused to sell norton because 85% of the people who were sold norton would come back because norton was screwing up there computer.

I would delete norton and see if your computer is working better. There is a good Anti-virus program for free http://www.pandasoftware.com/home/default.asp

14. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

I would guess that you might have a virus which is blocking certain sites. Do a search on your computer for a file called 'hosts' (usually in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc). Open it up in notepad. The only line that is uncommented (with a #) should be :

127.0.0.1 localhost

if you have any other entries then post them here, and we can take it from there. (or just delete them!)

Some viruses put rubbish entries with the IP addresses of virus update sites so the virus software cannot update.