Netherland or Amsterdam Tournament

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Quozl, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

Hi.

Does anyone know if there will be a Tournament in Amsterdam in 2009?

I was at the 2007 one and thoroughly enjoyed it all, and was very disapointed that there wasn't one this year. Our Dutch hosts were fantastic, and the Tournament was held in the greatest of "sportsmanship" and commeraderie. Bravo to the host school.

I would whole-heartedly support another Tournament in Amsterdam in 2009, and wonder why there wasn't a tournament this year.

Cheers All

2. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Was there not a Spanish tournament this year, It could be that this tournament is being rotated between continental European countries. I'm just guessing though.

3. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

I think Spain has a tournament every year Herbo. There was certainly one last year and one again this year, and from memory there was also on in 2006. (That is alomost as far back as I have been in KSW so do not know what ent on before that.)

It would be nice to see another in Holland though.

Cheers Guys

4. liero

liero Valued Member

just a general interest q.

if you compete in an event in amsterdam that conducts doping tests.

does cannabis count as an "illicit substance"

edit: sorry its ridiculously off topic...if you guys were there you might know.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  5. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

Hi Liero,

I can honestly say that I saw no dope testing in Amsterdam. Then again I have never seen any dope testing at any tournamnet I have been to. I don't think KSW has entered those realms yet.

As to whether it would be classed as an illicit drug or not, I couldn't tell you.

Having said that, I cannot see anyone ever saying that canabis is a stimulent and a performance enhancer!

6. JSun

JSun Valued Member

Check this article out

7. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

Cheers JSun,

I would never have guessed!!!

I would have thought that canabis made one too relaxed to do a martial art.

I somehow don't think that I will be trying out KSW on dope though!

Cheers for that JSun.

8. JSun

JSun Valued Member

Well, I'm not advocating the use of drugs (although I've been known to partake in my time), but one of the most difficult aspects of alive grappling is learning to relax. I guess cannabis is just Bravo's way of achieving that relaxation.

9. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

It is much better to achieve that relaxation though one's own efforts:
    1. you never know if you can GET it, or what strength it will be;
    2. you never know if you'll be able to administer it;
    3. you might get arrested, ruin your life, and and not even got to do your stuff;

and possibly most important,
    4. most people tend to THINK they are performing better while on some substance when they really aren't.
    I'm all for testing however, on someone else, and if no weapons or children, or other people are involved, with scientific supervision, legally... with control subjects... and published in a peer reviewed journal....

10. JSun

JSun Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de9uvQxSDQw"]Eddie Bravo Rubber Guard Basics - YouTube[/ame]

I'll partially agree with you on this statement, but there's no doubt Eddie Bravo's game is on point. He revolutionized no gi grappling and he attributes the creativity it required to conceive his system to smoking weed. I'd have to say that toking before practicing some KS might be counter productive, but only because the side effects of getting lifted don't agree with the method that the art is taught. Like I said before, I'm not advocating the use of it, but it never affected the motor skills required to practice kuk sool when I was training. As a matter of fact, one of the most talented practitioners I know personally told me he used to smoke a blunt before he'd go through his forms nightly.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  11. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

I've never been to Amsterdam, but if cannabis is LEGAL there, how could it be considered as an "illicit substance"?

But the remark about it being a performance enhancer had me literally ROFLMAO.

Which brings up the contention made by JSun about Mr. Bravo. And in that regard, I have to mention that I knew a stoner when I was in college who was SO used to operating in the brain-fog of constantly being 'under the influence' (he toked before going to bed and immediately upon waking), that he found it quite difficult to function without being buzzed. I've heard that cannabis is different than most mind-altering drugs in that it has what's referred to as a 'negative resistance' meaning it requires more and more doses to achieve the same effect rather than less and less, which is what substances with a 'normal' resistance would need to get you high. Perhaps this has something to do with it? :dunno:

12. BLURINZ

BLURINZ Valued Member

So does anyone know if there will be an Amsterdam tournament this year?

13. KIWEST

KIWEST Revalued Mapper

Doesnt look like it. Theres nothing on the KSW Norwich Website calendar.

14. DoJe

DoJe Valued Member

Dont think cannabis is legal - just tolerated in certain places.

But back to the topic - it is a pity that the tournament could not be cycled between Amsterdam and Worms as well as the annual Spanish event. Come on the European contingent!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  15. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

No, it's not on this year