nerve injury?

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by KAMAU, May 8, 2011.

1. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

hi map...walked into a reverse hook kick begining of january:rolleyes: my partners heel landed flush on the high cheek bone! helmet may have saved me a bit and the very heavy bruising cleared in about 12 days after daily witch hazel treatment..............id totally forgot about it, but recently iv noticed that i get a tingling sensation in the area if my lips make contact with anything like food or drinks cups, over the past weeks it seems to be more prolonged and ive made an appointment to see my doctor.....just wondering if this sort of stuffs effectivly treatable or is there a point nerves cant recover from and is this common to older practisioners:rolleyes:

bests kamau

2. Don-Felix

Don-Felix New Member

Hey Kamau,
    The way you describe the mechanism of injury is consistent with the symptoms you are having. A branch of the trigeminal nerve (the maxillar part) enters the face about where you got kicked. It's sensory region includes the lips. Definitely, going to a doctor is a wise decision.
    To answer your questions:
    Yes, there is a point where nerves cannot recover. But unless you get kicked in the same spot a lot, I'd say you will likely recover. Tingling and not complete numbness hints at irritation, not damage of the nerve. My guess is that the treatment will be letting the nerve/area rest, i.e. taking it easy and not risking another hit in the region.

Hope that helped.

3. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

thankyou for the advice Don-Felix, I have been very careful not to offer my head up since the incident:eek: and its not been that noticable in the last few days! doctors on friday so that will probably but my mind at ease:cool:

welcome to map:bow1:

bests kamau

4. Osu,

I hope you suffered no permanent damage & can fully recover.
    In the meantime, stop blocking kicks with your head! :D

Osu!

5. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

lol, wise words fred:cool: leading with the face as its drawbacks:bang:

6. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

well just an update on results, after xrays this morning I have 2 airline fractures to my zygoma:thinking: I still suffer problems in the other cheekbone I totally broke 20 years ago when the weather gets cold........im really feeling dejected as i intended to fight in italy this september in the over 50s division as my last roll of the dice, as iv had to inform my instructor of the situation I dont think id get his blessing to attend and although I feel passionate about the art iv thrown my heart and soul into past few years I have to be realistic:confused::dunno: could I take up a grappling art like bjj,judo maybe even hapkido maybe even something totally off the wall........theres a traditional teakwondo club close but im not sure it would fullfill my passion to spar.........apoligies for the gripe! with some other medical problems within the family my spirit feels tested.

bests kamau

7. Osu kamau,

Sorry to hear that; I am no medic, but you still have 4 months until September... Can't a hairline fracture heal in that time? :)

OSu!

8. Osu kamau,

Sorry to hear that; I am no medic, but you still have 4 months until September... Can't a hairline fracture heal in that time? :)

OSu!