neon genisis evangelion

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Shantari, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

not sure if i spelled that right but yea... ive been wanting to watch the entire series, but it doesnt seem like it is going to air in the U.S. i heard it might be airing on Adult Swim but its highly unlikely, so i plan on buying the dvds, and those im not even sure where to get.. but any ways, i was just wondering in what order to see them in... because i know there are the 8 dvds for the series and then 2 movies called "death and rebirth" and then "the end of evanelion" so i was just wondering what order you guys recomend i watch them in

2. Origami Itto

Origami Itto Walking Paths

The right order is to watch the series, then Death and Rebirth, and finally End of Evangelion. However, D&R is kinda optional, depending on how you feel about it. Death and Rebirth is a summary of the entire series along with some new material (just a little) and the first part of End of Evangelion. I think that there are updated versions (could be director's cut) of some episodes available now as well.

Try not to look for too much info on the internet before you finish watching it - lots of spoilers.

Edit: it shouldn't be hard to get the complete series boxed set, if you have decided that you like it. It is worth it, you will want to watch the complete series more than once over the years ;).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  3. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

I watched that series back in highschool with some buddies and a large bag of... fun :D

Very intense series, highly recomend it. The ending is ...messed up ;)

4. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

cool, now i just have to find a play that sells the dvd's

5. Falcore

Falcore almost acceptable

Great series.
    You will probably be able to get the original box set fairly cheaply off ebay. Gainax has a habit of repackaging Eva avery few years and selling it as a new cut box set - ie Original, Extended, Directors, Platinum, etc etc. It's become a bit of a cash cow.
    Obviously, the most up to date cut is the best.
    Definitely don't try to watch the series out of order, and Death and Rebirth is recommended - as well as recapping a lot of important points, it sets the mood well for End.

Incidentally, there has been a live action Eva in the works for a while now. Apparently being run by ADV and Weta (the spec effects team that did Lord of the Rings). There's a fair few sites with info on it and a lot of rabid fanboy discussion (taking a 15 hour series that included a lot of culture and age specific themes and some heavy material, condensing it into a 2 hour movie intended for a western audience will undoubtedly lose some of its impact)
    Try IMDB for some details. It seems to have been canned though, as there have been no updates for quite a while now.

6. hapkidofighter

hapkidofighter Valued Member

go watch naruto the best anime of all time

7. MDN

MDN Banned Banned

Can someone help me remember the name of a movie?

I can only remember what happened in the movie. Here's what I can tell you about the movie. I believe it took place on mars and the colonies on mars awoke an old race of aliens that called themselves the "Angels." I remember that the hero guy drove a motorcycle. Oh and to kill the aliens I think they had enter inside the aliens, use special armour and blow the aliens up.

8. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

hmm, armor and blow the aliens up... i think this works in any movie to kill aliens, lol, how about giving better information

EDIT:now that i read my post it sounds rude, but i was just being sarcastic

Last edited: Jul 26, 2005
  9. Falcore

Falcore almost acceptable

I beleive you are thinking of "Space Runaway Ideon". I may be wrong though

10. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Lots of anime about aliens and mars and heroes on motorbikes...

Shantari, watch the entire series first. Watching D & R will mess you up right away.

I loved evangelion until the ending. Got my hopes up and was dashed by the movie. I really hate Gainax for setting up good stories which they build up nicely to very lousy endings.

11. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Can we not talk about the ending when the guy hasn't seen it? :cool:

12. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

THEY ALL LIVE MWAHAHAHAHA!! o wait n/m..awww crap!

13. Song1

Song1 New Member

it was an interesting anime, i'd rate it above average, but not by much. i think it is way over rated. and the ending was just messed up. the last two episodes of the series i normally just fast forward and make up what they say, since all they ever do is repeat the same thing over and over again.