need help to stop an annoying wannabe

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by dragon_bunny, Dec 28, 2004.

1. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

hi

ok this refers to my boyfriend he's kinda obsessed with Bruce lee and really wants to do wing chun, but won't get off his bum to go and do it (not the problem here) . There's this guy at his work that does it and is now taking great pride in leacturing/teaching my bf little bits of WC.
    This is seriously annoying because
    a) (yes i have a list!) the guys showing off when he teachs my bf so it's not going to end well.
    b) he's teaching him ways of 'conditioning his body' so he'll be a better fighter all of which smell alot like bull to me
    c) he's also teaching my bf the art of critising any other arts because 'they don't work'

the last point wouldn't bother me if my bf had any MA experiance and knew that each art has it's own strenghts and weaknesses.
    the second point botheres me because some of the things hes teaching him arn't safe

plus this great guy is slowing teachin my bf that girls shouldn't do MA
    :bang:

anyone got any ideas, articles, books i can give to my bf to stop him from taking everything this guy says as gosspel cause he won't believe me :confused:

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

If he's "kinda obsessed with Bruce Lee" - why does he wish to do Wing Chun?

Surely he should be looking to develop in the same direction his idol was preaching about.

I'd recommend a good MMA club.

Attached Files:

3. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

MMMMMMMMM....Spaghetti.

Oh wait...

4. dragon_bunny

i don't know... i did ask i think it's because thats what bruce lee first learnt.. at least i think thats why, i did ask but he just carried on rambling about his new friend. grr.

5. YODA

If he wishes to learn what Bruce Lee first learned - he should study Tai Chi :D

My guess is that your boyfriend is NOT obsessed with Bruce Lee - but with his movie star persona :rolleyes:

6. dragon_bunny

quite possibly, but it's really not the problem i have with him at the moment :)

an what he *should* be studying is alittle retorical as he's never going to get roun to learning anything !! :rolleyes:

7. YODA

So what exactly IS your problem?

Sounds like you either need to trust that your boyfriend has more sense than listen to this idiot - or you need a new boyfriend.

8. dragon_bunny

umm.. ok wasn't really expecting to be shouted at :cry:

i know my bf and i know that once he thinks something is right its very hard to convince him it's not. this guy may know a bit about MA and WC but not enough to give a more balanced veiw to my Bf , which is getting to the point where he slags off my and anyother MA, he wants to do some stupid body conditioning methods - he's impressed by the fact his friend has conditioned his hannds so much he can't fell pain on the sides of them (hello nerve damage) I just wanted some advice on how to make him take his guy with a pinch of salt and learn to train alittle safer.
    Thats all.

(but if you think it simply comes down to trusting or dumping my bf then feel free to delete this thread. )

9. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Invite him along to the school where you train and let him try it out. Or, get him a gift membership to a local school (yours or other) that would give him a good honest intro to an art and thereby open up his mind a bit.

I would be a bit worried about him getting ideas that girls shouldn't train... it can only cause problems later... Good luck

10. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

tel

take him to local leisure centre to see what they do there,might be unsettling him to go to the club u go to,cause might not want to see someone he knows watching him struggle when he first starts

11. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

a) the guy's showing off= maturity issues, lack of experience on his part as well
    b) "conditioning his body"= lack of knowledge if he is showing unsafe conditioning methods
    c) critising other arts= poor training values on his own behalf

**teaching your BF that girls shouldn't do MA= stuck in the dark ages :woo:

As to why the moderator is crackin on ya for posting your concern...who the hell knows :confused:

12. dragon_bunny

mm.. i like the idea of gift vouchers for a MA school, think i'll see if i can find somewhere to do that for me
    i think you guys are right, he needs some other views to help him along :)

13. ClumsyFoot

ClumsyFoot ITA - Intnl. TKD Alliance

Anything you can do to get him exposed to a variety of teaching styles, and MA styles, will give him a better frame of reference. That way he can better make comparisons between the arts, the schools, the styles, and instructors. The gift cards are a great idea. Also, you could make a circuit of attending the "first one free" sessions at all of the local schools. The hope would be that he would gravitate to a school and an instructor with a sound teaching plan.

14. HearWa

HearWa Ow, that hurt...

Since Yoda seems to be the King of Controversy(tm), why not put your boyfriend on these boards and let him take a rip at him? :)

15. YODA

Bring him on!

16. gnarlie

gnarlie New Member

I go to a WTF TKD school in Westbrook (Kingswood Community Centre, 7pm Tues) & Orford (Senior/Black belt only) in Warrington if you wanna send him to see us :p would be more than happy to dispel any myths for ya hehe

We don't do gift vouchers though, but it's not a bad idea...hmmm

Maybe just get him to go along and watch a class first, I think he's probably got a slightly skewed idea of what MA's are about if he's never been to a class and believes everything that he is told. A lot of bull is talked, if you know what I mean. You'd be welcome along too, BTW.

Failing that I believe they do Wing Chun at Evans House / Cheshire Martial Arts (though I don't believe that they condition their hands in that way!!)

Gnar

17. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

maybee trying to control him in to thinking your way is going to push him futher into the other man's arms :)
    Only joking,but on a serious note,let him do what he wants and make his own mistakes because if he really wants to listen and train with this guy and you stop him he will resent you.
    Just train hard and lead from example,if this guy really is an idiot and your bf does get hurt he'll need someone strong like you to run back to.

18. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

what tel and pacific shore said, and invite him to REGULATED sparring with you, make that emphasis on regulated when you say it, then humiliate him, if he breaks a rule, or does something too violent don't hold back, just plain beat the living snot out of him, that should teach him.

Fish Of Doom

19. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

:bang: :bang:

20. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

take him down to the local muay thai club. once he gets out of hospital, take him to the local bjj club. once he gets out of the chiropractors, he should be set right.