Need help choosing martial arts style!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by aaron7, Jan 12, 2015.

1. aaron7

aaron7 New Member

There are several options for martial arts classes at my college, and I want to sign up for one this semester. I've been dealing with anxiety/anger/depression problems for several years and I am looking for something where I can release anger, and also work on finding some inner peace. I am not looking for martial arts as the answer to everything- I have also been in therapy/taking medication for quite some time.

I would prefer a style that involves a good deal of punching. In the past year or so I've had the habit of releasing anger through punching things, usually walls... I'd like to try punching things that won't break my hand.

The available options at my school are:
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    Isshinryu Karate
    Capoeira
    Jujutsu
    Tae Kwon Do
    Muay Thai
    Aikido

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

-Aaron

2. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

try the thai class, its easy to learn and the stuff works.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'd try BJJ. No punching, but nothing will get you emotionally spent like grappling.

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Honestly, to develop good martial skill, you need to practice against other people, and to be a good training partner you shouldn't be getting angry with them.

5. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Honestly sometimes wailing on a bag (in a controlled manner for long periods of time) can really help. I quit smokeing a couple years ago and I found my favorite activity aside from jogging was long periods of bag work in a damp basement. Nothing like working up a good sweat I say.
    Raptors right I think, you dont want raw unbridled anger and rage, you want controlled sustained aggressive violence. Else than that and you could be makeing bad habits.

6. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Wow...they offer all that at University these days? The answer for you is quite obvious - Muay Thai!!!

You'll 've had your punching needs met - as well as kicking - but none of that spinjitsu nonsense - you'll be wailing away on upper thighs.

Did I mention you should take Muay Thai?

@bodyshot - yeah - I quit after ... :thinking:...35+ years, took it back up for a short bit then quit in disgust again. I know about nicotine-deprived meltdowns.

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

[​IMG]

8. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Come 'on man. The dog needs to eat, for the love of juicin' Jesuits. :p

9. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

You can tell that you aren't married...

:whistle:

10. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Muay Thai is a great art. I didn't have a great experience taking Karate at my University because we couldn't make contact with each other very hard. It was one of those kinds of rules that defeat the purpose of taking a martial arts class. There was no pressure testing and stuff. Nor could I hit my partner with force. This is coming from a guy who took Kajukenbo for 10+ years so ... I guess it was an awkward change of pace from full contact and pressure testing, so I dunno. I'd be wary.

11. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Great options... a lot also depends on teaching style and instructors.

My advice would be to stop in and check a few of the offerings out for a couple of classes and see which one seems to "fit" you better (like which instructors seem to work best with you, what styles seem to fit what you are looking for, and then go from there).

If all were equal, I'd probably recommend the BJJ, that way you know you will get sparring and the cost of a college class/club should be much less what you'd pay in private market. My second choice would be Taekwondo - as long as they do contact sparring.

12. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Well, there's definitely not much punching in capoeira, though (depending on the group) there's quite a bit of headbutting. You'd be advised not to do that while angry, though.

If anxiety and stress are issues then perhaps the ludic and musical aspects of capoeira could work for you. Many are drawn to the art because of the music and the social atmosphere. These could possibly help with those issues. Ultimately, you should go and give all of these classes a try, if possible, and see which one(s) is a better fit for you.

Good luck!

13. aaron7

aaron7 New Member

I appreciate all the responses. I think I'm gonna try out muay thai first.