Need Experienced Advise

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by AlShak, Apr 1, 2016.

1. AlShak

AlShak Valued Member

I stopped training for many many years, maybe over 15 years I could say because of traveling to many countries and not be able to stay in one place for long time.
    Now, after all these years, I am settling and have the chance to get back to training. I want to train 2 things at a time and i have many many options where I am staying. My main idea was to learn Chen Tai Chi and something else with it. I narrowed my option to either: Hsing-i, traditional Jiu Jitsu or hokutoryu Ju Jitsu, Hapkido, MT, Daido Kudo (most of the martial arts are available where I am staying). My combo's are:
    either (Chen Tai Chi + Hsing i) or (Chen Tai Chi + Jiu Jutsu) or (Jiu Jutsu + Daido Kudo)
    I know it sounds wrong but I have the time and luxury of doing this now and I want to take advantage of it. Please advise with your experience

Thank you

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

What are your school choices? That is probably more.important than the style to be honest

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

And what are your goals/reasons for training? Kudo will likely be a very different training experience to Tai Chi.

Mitch

4. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

What is your question?

Are you asking if certain things are incompatible or complimentary from your list?

I'd try all the schools youvlike the look of and then stick with that alone. Later you can fill in a percieved gap with another art if you still want to.

5. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Unless you already have some decent experience in one of the two,I would not try to learn Ta'i Chi and Hsing I together. It can be difficult for a beginner in them to keep the methods separate.

6. AlShak

AlShak Valued Member

I know the 24 hands form from Yang Taiji. Just started push hands that's when I had to stop and travel.
    Thanx for the advise though, you are right I guess

7. AlShak

AlShak Valued Member

I have all these choices and they are really good schools.

8. AlShak

AlShak Valued Member

I really like training, and would like to be able to fight someone who is much bigger then me professionally (although I am not willing to go pro off course). Relatively I am a small guy (5'6) but I have a passion on how to fight since I was really young but circumstances kept keeping it away.

9. AlShak

AlShak Valued Member

Simply put, to be able to fight someone pro twice my size (I am 5'6) and have the bigger hand on this fight. I am not going pro off course like MMA but my passion for learning martial arts is too big.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

MT and Kudo hands down. That combo will make you a killer.

11. AlShak

AlShak Valued Member

Yeah you are right (if I was a bigger person as I am 5'6), but what about bigger size pro's? Kudo and Muay thai are almost similar besides it relies on strike strength and speed more then what we can say "smart fighting" technique. That's why I wanted to combo Kudo with something else like Chen Taiji or Japanese Jiu Jutsu or Hap

12. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Ignore Van Zandt.

Unfortunately his TKD background takes over every now and then.

MT and Kudo but keep your hands up.

:D

13. AlShak

AlShak Valued Member

:)
    I already replied up there.

14. Knee Rider

Daido juku/Kudo and or Muay Thai too for me based on your goals.

Depending on your gyms timetables maybe just get deep into one. Never done Kudo (used to really like the look of it though) but there is enough depth in MT to keep you MORE than occupied :)

15. Knee Rider

Plenty of smart fighting in both. Fighting is just hectic violent and viseral.

16. AlShak

AlShak Valued Member

Right, still need something to use his weight against him. Either Taiji or Jiu Jitsu with MT or Kudo.

17. Knee Rider

The clinch is very technical. So lots of use of dead angles, unbalancing and use of opponent's force involved. Small nimble guys with technical striking and nasty clinch work are very, very tough.

18. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Don't believe for a second that fighting in real life is anything like Chinese wushu movies make out.

Solid fundamental gross motor skills is what you want. Using an opponents weight against them is great and all, but only works as long as they are a lot less skilled than you.

Anyway, good luck! :)

19. AlShak

AlShak Valued Member

Many thanx bro, realistic advise I take it. Hokutoryu is a hybrid system of Kick boxing and Jiu Jitsu. I still would like to hybrid between 2 systems and one of them is Kudo or MT.
    If you think about it, MMA is BJJ and MT or Kickboxing. I prefer JJJ with Kudo or Hsing-i with Kudo

20. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

where are you based?