Need a new everyday carry knife

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by hardball, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You said that you wanted the weapon for self defence. That makes the questions perfectly reasonable.

Choosing not to answer these questions does leave a large hole in any argument you may have for choosing a small bladed knife for SD.

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Cheers.

I'm clueless about a number of things and firearms is one of them. :)

Am I correct in thinking they are also used to reduce the possibility of collateral damage?

3. hardball

hardball Valued Member

terrible reviews

I had decided to buy this one; then I read the reviews and they are not so good. How long have you had yours? Did you have any trouble with it breaking?

4. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Does anyone own the NRA sog trident? It's almost twice the cost of the crkt m16 but sounds like it may be a more reliable knife. Comments appreciated.

5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

In theory they are a bit safer, but "safety rounds" are much better for this (and they do cause catastrophic tissue damage) although the problem with them is you need to hit the head or torso (they probably won't go through your forearm). However in all cases being hit by a stray round is far and away more of a risk than being hit by a through and through which has already expended much of it's energy (unless we're talking about rounds that aren't great for general use. A jacketed .44 could probably do you some damage after it's gone through someone).
    This is one of the reasons I'm not happy with the fact that the police at Gatwick carry G36s now. If you're hit by a stray 9mm round then your chances are pretty good. If you're hit by a stray 5.56mm round your chances are REALLY bad :(

6. Simon

This may be a terribly English point of view, but if you want reliable, buy a Leatherman. If you want a SD "weapon", then buy a cheap pointy blade that costs just a few pounds.

7. Ben Gash CLF

The Sayoc argument only holds validity if you routinely wear a tactical belt though, otherwise it's equally unrealistic.

8. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Benchmade brand

The benchmade brand seems a bit expensive. Anyone think it's worth the price?

9. Simon

I disagree.

May of us will trundle back to our kit bags, get a knife and then go ahead with the drills.

That's fine if you are just drilling, but if you want to use the weapon for SD, then that knife needs to be held in a position that replicates your everyday use and wearing your everyday clothing.

It's a fair argument that the Sayok guys don't do that, but their argument that many of us don't practice deployment still holds water.

10. Ben Gash CLF

The argument does hold water, it just doesn't validate their own method per se.

11. hardball

hardball Valued Member

NRA Sog

I don't want a cheap knife; also I don't want to spend over $100.00 US Dollars. For those reasons, I'm leaning towards the nra sog. Benchmades seem nice but most are close to $200.00. I want this new knife to last me a long time without breaking for no reason at all. Any comments on the nra sog would be appreciated or any other knife in the $100 price range. Thanks in advance.

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

My recommendation comes in under 100

13. Hannibal

Over 5 years and it has taken everything I have thrown at it. I also have it's "big brother" and have seen that one cut through a door

It's locks into a virtual fixed configuration too.

14. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Have you considered Cold Steel brand knives? They are reasonably priced (well some of them are!) and the few cold steel I've had and friends had have been good quality.
    http://www.coldsteel.com/Category/3_1/Folding_Knives.aspx

Like some of the others here, I never understood the serrated blade for SD attraction. Myself I do not generally like serrated blades because they pretty much need professional sharpening, and are mostly only good for sawing through things. I think a blade sharp enough to shave with would do just as well for the vast majority.

15. Hannibal

I am a huge CS advocate, but suprisingly a lot of their FB knives leave me a bit "meh". I should probably revisit and test a few of them...which will delight the wife no end!

I do own a CS Kudu folder though, which is the best $10 I ever spent.

16. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

In CT a knife must be 3.5 inches or smaller.
    When buying for self defense we can only legally carry such a size.
    I wear mine clipped to the same pocket everyday no matter what imwearing.
    The same side, same pocket, and i take it out, flick it open, and put it right back.
    I learned from Rory Miller and Jim McCann to deploy it several times a day and to keep it always on the same side and place. A sheath is is only good for fixed blades orelse it is just another layer to get through in a tight spot.

When it comes to the law and repercussions to using the blade...
    I dont care. Ihave been attacked by multiple assailants before and had I been carrying during those attacks those bastards would have been leaking in the street. The law will do what it does but the next group of cowards that jumps on me will get opened up.

17. Simon

You said "group" and "cowards". Plural, so please explain to me how this scenario goes down.

Again, do you practice this, with what type of weapon, under what type of pressure and with what type of weapon concealment?

The reason I'm so questioning (note hardball is ignoring these questions) is that I've heard this so many ties over the years.

It's easy to say, harder to do and I do question someone's ability to kill someone during a self defence situation.

That may be my English attitude and I do train to send someone's head into a wall should the need arise, but there is a difference to training, simulation and actually killing someone.

18. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Just to chime in one last time, the Benchmade also makes a trainer version of the Griptilian so you can practice without slicing your self up or your training parter. Its pretty much the same as your standard Griptilian so god forbid, if the need to use the knife ever occurred you could deploy it effectively.

P.s
    I'm not a benchmade sales rep, I just really like the quality of the product they put out :)

19. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

I never said i intend tokill someone.
    I do not plan out ways to open people up.
    Do i train?
    Yes i do.
    I have for several years.
    Stick, cane, knife, pistol, rifle, archery, 11 years of military training in Artillery and Urban combat, crowd control, etc.
    One need not kill just because they havea knife.
    And having been trained in triage, people do not often die from superficial wounds. But you know what does happen if you open up a persons hand, wrist, or arm?
    They back up screaming and stop attacking you.

20. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

I think you are right. Also, I think the other thing is the mental state you need to be in to be ready to use the knife for real. I have to be honest with myself and say that I'm not there.

I was watching a show where a Israeli Krav Maga was teaching someone knife fighting, and he says something like "You have to have a bit of evil in you to be ready to use it on some one for real, it's not like shooting a gun". Basically he said something along the lines of if you hesitate, they just might take it from you, etc. I think it is something you need to be 100% about if you are planning on doing.

I'm a huge knife nerd. I have LOTS. But I'm not a fan of tactical types (unless you consider a USMC style Kabar tactical), and I don't see myself using one in any way on a person. I'm just not mentally there.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013