Need a new everyday carry knife

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by hardball, Dec 6, 2013.

1. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

I personally like benchmade knives.

I would recommend a mini Griptilian for you, I believe its a 3" blade. I owned the standard Griptilian, beat the crap out of that knife, then lost it. Miss it terribly. Comes in a verity of grinds from drop point, partially serrated, tanto, whatever takes your fancy pluse price point isn't bad.

Check out bladehq in the states or warrior and wounders in Canada. Outside of north america, cant help you.

2. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Emerson mini-commander, blade length is 3.4 inches. Built like a tank with great ergonomics.

3. blindside

blindside Valued Member

I don't get the appeal of serrated knives for self-defense, particularly half-serrated knives, that is more of a utility function.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Exactly, I have a feeling its more for hardball's tacticool standing then actual SD.

5. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Never trained with wepons period, all my knife experience is purely bushcraft, hunting, and I absolutely hate serrated. Only time serrated knives have been useful for me was cutting tough cordage, Otherwise get a saw.

6. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

My diamond in the rough folder cost me $5 several yrs ago. Partial serrated (tacticool) everyday carry self defense general cutting tool. I bought it cheap because I loose the expensive ones. I assumed I would loose this one as we'll. I myself would never own a knife without at least a partial serrated edge. No matter what the intended use was.

7. Haakon

Haakon Valued Member

I don't like serrated edges, never found any advantage to them, and they're usually harder to sharpen. So, my suggestions would be:

Benchmade 707 Sequel, 3" blade
    [​IMG]

Or for an inexpensive (about $20), but not cheap, 3" knife the Kabar Dozier Hunter:
    [​IMG]

If you must have a serrated edge, you might look at the Benchmade Mini Griptillian, it comes in a variety of blade shapes, serrated and not.
    [​IMG]

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'm interested to know in which scenario the folding knife would be of use.

I assume the knife would be in a sheath, so it has to be drawn, then opened.

Do you (do any of us) actually practice this.

Often in class we're told get a knife, we trot off to our kit bag and so begins the knife work.

Have you tried to draw and open the knife under pressure, or do you see it of use in another type of situation?

9. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

What's your background in knife work?

Also to back up Simon's questions.

What drilling do you do for deploying the knife under pressure?
    Where do you carry? By that I mean where is it on you.

What type of scenario do you envisage where you will be deploying it?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  10. Dean Winchester

Admittedly not for a while but yes. :)

However as I'm in the UK it is highly unlikely that I will find myself out in public with a knife.

11. Dean Winchester

Perhaps you should be sure?

Do yourself a favour and ensure you actually know when it comes it the law.

12. Dean Winchester

A very good question.

That you don't get why it is being asked is rather worrying.

13. Dean Winchester

What advantages do you see a serrated blade giving you?

As I understand it a hollow point increase tissue damage but decreases the chance of the round going through the target.

So how does your comparison fit with the blade you are after?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If its for SD, type of locking mechanism, blade shape and type, and clip carry configuration would be far more important things to consider.

Are there local laws against fixed blades in your area?

15. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Everyday Carry

No need for a sheath with a folder. I have several fixed knifes and cheapo folders. The knife culture here in Baltimore is a lot different than the U.K. Thanks to the guys who posted recommendations with pictures. I have enough info to make a purchase.

16. Dean Winchester

Indeed there isn't but the issues still stand with regards to deployment.

The knife culture again may be different but that doesn't detract from the questions that have been asked.

It's a shame actually that you have chosen not to answer them.

17. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

This is something Rick Faye talks about on his Knife DVD, the need for high repetition deployment practice. He says 1000+ reps from each position you're likely to carry it THEN drilling (although he also points out the practical difficulties in drilling a live folder in such a way).

18. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The main purpose of hollow points is to ensure the complete transfer of energy from the round to the target (especially useful for higher velocity rounds such as 9mm). As a consequence this will cause a bit more tissue damage as the round expands, but it's not it's main purpose.

19. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Knife Purchase

Those questions were beyond the scope of MY thread. I'm ready to make a purchase. Cheers Mate!

20. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

The Sayok kali guys are often mocked for wearing a belt that holds several different knives.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXhPaiUwqrU"]Filipino Martial Arts | Panantukan Knife Set | Sayoc Kali - YouTube[/ame]

They'll tell you the rest of us don't train in the deployment of the knife.

I think it's obvious which side will hold the advantage should a deployment situation arise.

I think though that it's a poor self defence weapon.

If you're in an argument and you deploy the knife you are on a very sticky wicket and the chance of situation escalation is huge.

If you are attacked randomly I would argue you have little to no chance of drawing the weapon, despite whether it is a folding blade or not.