ned's get physical

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by ned, Jan 6, 2014.

1. ned

ned Valued Member

13/jan
    am before work
    stretches
    Ba Duan Jin
    sil lim tao

after work
    20 min walk dogs(wet&horrible)
    5 mins skipping x2
    5 mins on bag x2

la joia sections 1,2,3
    chum kil

dumbbell 6kg each arm in turn
    shoulder press 3x10
    bicep curl 3x10
    overhead extension 3x10
    bench presss 3x10
    standing flies 3x 5
    single arm row 1x50

30 x press ups fists, 30x sit ups
    30x press ups wrists 30xsit ups

2. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

The bag work you were doing - was that a mix of light contact w/ no gloves//hard contact w/ gloves or something else?

Also, do you find that sit ups actually do anything useful for your stomach? The only reason I ask is because I personally don't get much out of them, wondered if I was the only one.

3. ned

ned Valued Member

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

5. ned

ned Valued Member

14/jan
    Managed to finish bit earlier,home at 5.15,dry and still reasonable light,

1m,
    30 x press ups(fists) 30 x crunches(twisting,elbows to knees)
    1m
    30 x press ups(wrists) 30 x crunches( " " " " )
    1m (sprint last 50m)

6kg dumbbell each arm in turn,
    overhead press 3 x 10
    bicep curl 3 x 10
    overhead extension 3 x 10
    bench press 3 x 10
    standing flies 3 x 5
    single arm row 1 x 50

off to taiji(hopefully chin na applications).

6. ned

ned Valued Member

16/jan
    Nothing to log yesterday-13 hr day on site,home 9pm so I feel I have a reasonable
    excuse !
    Today has been rain all day but stopped when I got home so time for a run

1m 30xpress ups(fists)30x twisting crunches
    1m " " " " " " "
    1m,sprint last 50m

Skipping
    1min, run on spot,1min girly jump,alternate high knee
    1min khan khan ,1min run on spot,crossing hands,
    1min high knees

weights as Tuesday

5mins skipping freestyle

hong quan
    ba duan jin

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  7. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Hi mate, it looks like your training is going pretty well (and consistently - which is essential!) keep up the good work!

This sounds like my kind of training ;)

Don't forget that rest is just as important as anti-rest (training); I've fallen in to the enticing trap of burning myself out (only slightly, as I recognised it and took a break) a couple of times. Your job is pretty physical (if I remember right), so don't be too hard on yourself - if you feel like you need to sleep instead of train, sleep and see how you feel the following day.

Again, good work man

8. ned

ned Valued Member

Thanks mate ! It's good to get some encouragement.I feeling the benefit
    in other aspects of life too;more energy,more positive attitude generally
    at work and at home.
    I know what you mean about resting but as I get older(and after a tough
    last year with the death of my mum)I find myself wanting to get as much as I can out of life.But your right,there is a balance to be found and I'm trying to
    build a sustainable programme so I'm still able to get the most out of my training and do all the things I like best,like sparring hard with the young'uns!
    I'm doing a couple of push hands competitions this year as well which has given me a bit of a goal and I feel my taiji is improving all the time.
    Hope to see you again at this years MAP meet !! :)

9. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

I'm sorry to hear about your tough year, and especially your mum. It seems like you're taking the (if there can be any) positive effects forward, and it's great to have drive to make the most of what you want to do with your life. :)
    Yes, I should be at the meet this year, and it'll be good to catch up in person.
    All the best for your training and the competitions you've entered (I didn't even know there were chi sau competitions! Shows what I know :rolleyes:)

10. ned

ned Valued Member

17/jan
    6pm finish at work,went over to see the old man and have a catch up,home for 8. There's been heavy rain(again)and hail today but tonight full moon and beautiful clear night but a bit late for a run and my wife walked the dogs earlier so

5 mins skipping freestyle(have now mastered running on spot,crossing hands continuously so I feel like a proper badass ! :cool: )

6kg dumbbell each arm in turn;
    bench press 1x30
    bicep curls 1x30
    standing flies 1x10
    overhead extension 1x30
    overhead press 1x30
    standing flies 1x10
    single arm row 1x75

(Interested to know whether single sets of 30 are more beneficial than 3 sets of 10 ?)

30x press ups(fingers),plank 1min
    30x press ups (wrists) " "

1 min on bag,continuous body only

Cold beer,feet up ;)

11. ned

ned Valued Member

18/jan
    Home from work by 5.15, dry but very cloudy and dark compared to last night with a
    strong headwind which made running much more strenuous

1m ,30x press ups (fingers),plank 1 min
    1m, 30x press ups (wrists) ,plank 1 min
    1m, sprint last 50m .

Dumbbell 6kg each arm;
    overhead press x30
    Bicep curl x30
    Standing flies x10
    overhead extension x30
    Bench press x30
    single arm row x75

Sil lim tao
    chum kil
    ba duan jin

12. ned

ned Valued Member

Not had much to log in the last couple of days,worked till 3pm on sunday and took
    Harry F's advice and took it easy; walked the dogs,had some supper and an early night.
    It's the last week on the refit at the country pub/hotel I'm working on(reopens for a wedding on the 29th)and it's going to involve some crazy hours-last night we finished at
    8pm and it'll be the same till the finish so classes will be out the window this week and I'll have to fit in whatever training I can :( .
    On the plus side I'm making a tidy wedge(to pay my tax at the end of the month !) and
    there's an expresso machine and the thai cook keeps us going with bowls of sticky rice,noodles etc.so it's not all bad !!

13. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

[​IMG]

depends. on accessory exercises it's generally good, since they lend themselves to less weight, and are not really suited to maximum exertion. on main exercises they're generally not because they tend to be strength-building exercises, and if you can do 30 reps one after the other without dying or coming damn close to it, it's not likely to be a stimulus that'll cause your body to adapt in ways that are useful to you.

1x30 is very much NOT the same as 3x10, because in the latter you rest in the middle. the why and how of it has to do with energy generation and expenditure. the simple version is that you have different energy systems for short, medium and long term expenditure, and strength training that is actually useful for building strength should never have you going into the latter (which is the domain of cardio and endurance training), whereas the middle one is useful for strength but mainly suited to letting you get in tons of exercise, which is why it's typically used by people looking to build size (which they'll usually try to sell to you as 8-12 reops for hyopertrophy, 1-6 for strength, or some such).

14. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

It could be a lot worse! Years and years ago, when I was still in my teens, I had to assist my employer who'd been hired by a doctor to remod/refurbish an old cabin deep, deep in the Blue Ridge mountains located in the south eastern part of the States.

It had electricity and running water, but that was it. It had just started to turn cold that time of year. No Thai cooks, no hot espresso machine, lol.

The place was, however not too far from an old grain mill a few klicks down the mountain from the cabin we were working on and every so often, a large bear would come down the mountain late at night/early morning, break into the grain mill and carry off a sack of oats!

One evening, not content with grain, it raided a farmer's pasture not too far from us. The farmer had kept some dairy cows...I didn't know anything and slept through it, but my employer said that he could hear the cows screaming :eek:

I didn't know cows could scream?!?

15. ned

ned Valued Member

Since a teenager I was fascinated by the American wilderness,inspired by writers like Steinbeck(Charley and Me,Cannery row)and Kerouac(Desolation Angels,Big Sur).Aged 18 I headed off to the US to meet up with an American girl I met in Amsterdam and hitch-hiked from NY to Atlanta(I met some right
    "characters" and was probably lucky not to end up dead in a dumpster !).
    Closest I got to a wilderness experience was camping in the smoky mountains
    in Tennessee,where I too saw a (very small)brown bear up a tree-We didn't hang about in case mum or dad was about !
    A trip I'd love to do with the family would be the pacific coast,from northern california up into Oregon,maybe do a spot of fishing for steelheads-oh well,one day maybe :rolleyes:

Back to reality,another late finish but felt like doing a little bit anyhow;

5 mins rope (regular routine)
    5 mins bag (just single jab/double jab&cross then down to body)
    5 mins bag (just kicks-turning and hooks to ribs and head)
    5 mins rope freestyle

dumbbell 6 kg each arm ;overhead press 3x10
    standing flies 1x10
    bicep curl 3x10
    overhead extension 3x10
    bench press 3x10
    standing flies 1x10
    single arm row 1x75
    (thanks for reading and giving your advice FOD,I'm a novice when it comes
    to weights!)

30x press ups(fingers) plank 1 min
    Repeat above

Lao joia sections 1&2
    ba duan jin

16. belltoller

:bow1: You know, I've found _______ (to be pm'd lest we start a row :evil:) to make some of the best ad-hoc woodsmen I've ever come across.

My best friend of some twenty-something years ( thirty, really ) a scouser of the best sort ( or worst, depending on one's sensibilities ;) ), one of the last people you'd think would ever set foot in a yard of marsh went through a nasty second divorce after which he became one of the best hunters I've known. Even had the respect of a few of the native 'hillbilly' clans that inhabited the area of mountains where he used to hunt.

He introduced me to deer hunting, the longbow and crossbow - I still have a couple of bows that he'd given me.

When you make it over here again, let me know beforehand, righty?

17. ned

ned Valued Member

Thanks for the kind offer mate :) !!

This week has been an epic one workwise;60 hours so far and we have to be done by end of Monday so 3 days to go.It'll be good to get back to a normal routine.Last couple of nights, just got in,walked the dogs,ate and went to bed.
    24/jan
    Tonight walked dogs 30 mins(wet,windy&dark)

5 mins skipping(1 min run on spot,1 min dble jump,alternate high knees,
    1 min khan khan, 1 min run on spot,crossing hands,
    1 min high knees)
    5 mins shadowbox
    5 mins skipping(30 secs ron on spot,30 secs khan khan,repeat
    30 secs girly jump/shuffle,30 secs run on spot,crossing hands,repeat
    1 min high knees
    5 mins on bag(working on stepping in with jab,cross and combinations;
    dble upper cut, ribs/hook to head)

6kg dumbbell each arm
    bench press 3x10
    standing flies 1x10
    bicep curl 3x10
    overhead press 3x10
    single arm row 1x75
    overhead ext. 3x10
    standing flies 1x10

30x press ups(fingers)
    plank 1min
    30x press ups(wrists)
    30x twisting crunches

dragon sets
    sil lim tao
    ba duan jin

18. belltoller

Looks as if you've been significantly increasing your load steadily over the last month. Have you begun to notice any results - good or bad?

19. ned

ned Valued Member

My cardio fitness is definitely improving,regaining some lost ground and my skipping is noticeably cleaner.My weight/body fat have dropped only slightly but I tell myself it's muscle replacing fat! I''ve certainly toned up my upper body which was an aim of the weights .
    Work has been stopping me getting on with some of the other aspects of my training I want to increase.After today I'll have my weekends back which is when I do most of my chi sao/sparring ,as well as my usual weekly classes.
    Looking forward to some improved weather/lighter evenings so I can make my unning a bit more regular.
    Thanks for the interest mate :) ,it helps with the motivation as does keeping this log.

20. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I really enjoy reading your log Ned!

But this bit here....

....quite frankly disgusts me!! ;) (Excuse me, just my stupid attempt at humour).