ned's get physical

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by ned, Jan 6, 2014.

1. ned

ned Valued Member

11/feb
    mon; run 2m cross-country (enjoyed last of the light - days are getting noticeably longer now :) )
    core rotations,floor stretches,BDJ

tues; walk dogs,later taiji class

today;walk(quick pace)dogs
    3mins skipping,2mins shadowbox, rpt. x2

30x press ups
    30x leg raises
    30x squats
    30x crunches
    side planks,front plank 1 min each

bar + 15kg ; circuit x3

bk. squat x5
    clean&press x5
    pendelay row x5
    ft. squat x5
    curl x5

d'bells 6kg
    standing flies 3x5
    chest flies 3x5

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

3. ned

ned Valued Member

Abbreviation(me being lazy... :)) ; Ba Duan Jin

(see post #6 , though I'm sure you remember from a year ago , don't you ? ;) )

4. belltoller

[​IMG]

5. belltoller

The sad thing being, if you mention Ba Duan Jin next week, I'll prolly ask you again.

6. ned

ned Valued Member

15/02

friday; run with dog, 1.5m
    30xsquats
    30xleg raises
    30xpress ups
    30xcrunches
    30x starjumps
    1.5m

sat; run with dog, 2m

skip 3mins,shadowbox(WC techniques)2mins, rpt x2

press ups,leg raises,starjumps 10 > 1

bar+20kg circuit x3 ;
    bk. squat x5
    clean&press x5
    pendelay row x5
    ft.squat x5
    curl x5

pair db's , 6kg each
    standing flies 5x3
    hammer curls 5x3
    chest flies 5x3

joint/core rotations, stretches

ba duan jin
    sil lim tao , chum kil

today ; am session at boxing club(3min rounds,30 sec break)

skipping x3 rounds
    shadowbox x3 rounds
    on bags x6 rounds
    1min break
    padwork x2 rounds (holding pads)
    " x2 rounds (gloves on)
    ceiling to floor ball x2 rounds
    skipping x3 rounds

circuit x3 ;

burpees x10 each
    dips
    press ups
    pikes
    starjumps
    squat thrusts
    crunches
    legs in/out(on back)
    squats
    tuck jumps

afternoon session of push hands,also some chi sao with middle & eldest daughters , then late evening run with dog 1.5m as light fading.

7. belltoller

Whoah - nice session there at the club, mate!

8. ned

ned Valued Member

18/feb
    Tuesday; run with dog 2m, later taiji class .

Probably not going to be much else to log this week as I'm coming to the last three weeks of another hotel refurbishment project with a deadline which means working long (12hr )days and weekends till the end :( .
    The light at the end of the tunnel is that after we've finished , I'll be having some time out to fit the new kitchen at our house which is nearing the end of
    it's own refurbishment ready for us all (my familly and my pa) to move back in-should be around april.
    On another positive note, I got bits and pieces delivered today to make the stand for my dummy - pics to follow hopefully as soon as I can find the time to put it all together.
    After some tactical preparation I have managed to negotiate leave from both domestic and work duties on saturday for the mini-meet, which is just down the road from me so it'd be a pity not to make the effort :)

9. belltoller

Know you're busy (that's good in your case!) - make it while its there. I know the feeling, can barely keep my eyes open as I sit here.

BTW, are you doing most of the labour on your own house refurbishment or acting as the GC and subbing the work out?

Good luck with it all. You da should be quite proud to have a son to take care of him the way that you have.

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'm going to add to this log and say that Ned trained for 6 hours yesterday.

Close to a dozen two minute rounds of Eskrima training, with technique drills in between.

A great day's training with friends.

11. belltoller

Whoa!

I'd forgotten youse were having a mini-map meet.

12. ned

ned Valued Member

Thanks for your kind words Bubs ! Can't deny it's been a difficult year for us all in my familly - being away from our own home,friends,garden etc.
    None of us really realised how long things would take or the strain it would put on us all.
    All I know is my dad would"nt last a month in a care home and being with us,he's in the best shape physically and mentally as he could be.
    There is light at the end of the tunnel-plasterers will be finished end of next week then it's second fixing .I'll be fitting the kitchen as soon as I finish my current project(about three
    weeks off) which will be a luxury after the frantic pace and stress of this job

13. belltoller

I'm truly amased you've time to train and have classes.

So your da is mentally sound, then? We tried having mum with us years ago...but the dementia had already begun affecting her personality in a bad way - not just forgetful but combative and contentious. It warn't her anymore.

14. ned

ned Valued Member

He has a mild form of dementia called Lewes Bodies disease,but is lucky to be largely unaffected and has responded remarkably well to treatment once properly diagnosed.

Apart from the excellent escrima session with simon on saturday (after which I had to work all sunday to catch up !)I've not had time for any training
    and also missed taiji class yesterday which is normally set in stone :( .
    Another 3 weeks,this job will be over and things'll be back to normal.

Balancing familly,work and training can be tricky,as I'm sure you know.I've always trained with my kids so that helps and I combine exercising my dogs with running/circuits etc.Mostly I train as soon as I get back from work after
    I take the dog(s)out,on average 45 mins which is'nt much.
    It helps having,like you,my own shed/gym.Also helps keeping a log but I don't need to tell you that ! :)

15. ned

ned Valued Member

01/march
    Rare day off today(after 9pm finish on site yesterday:zzz:)

am session in gym,3min rds,30 secs break

3x skipping
    3x shadowbox
    6x on bags, rotating
    1min break
    6x padwork with partner,switching

coach's warm down mainly abs stuff - sit ups, leg raises(partial,crossing legs/circles,full),pikes.crunches,back stretches on floor,standing leg stretches
    joint rotations,shake off

It's a group session,at the end everyone goes off and works on what they want.
    I took the opportunity to talk to the conditioning coach and have him
    watch and adjust as I did a simple conditioning type barbell complex(3x5 x27kg) such as I do at home.His comments were ;

squat - foot angle/placement ok, / mechanics/depth ok, loading too much on
    fingers,bar adjusted to sit more on clavicle,elbows higher with fingers keeping bar in position.

clean/press - recommended more of a paused deadlift before the jerk,then
    a drop and bend in the knees for a quick explosive press rather than a straight press from the fixed standing position

bent over row - shifted my weight forward,bar just over bent knees,ass out,back straighter(i.e more parallel to ground) bar brought fully to chest.

Seems my basic structure is ok(thanks Mr Rippetoe) but I could definitely benefit from some more regular instruction and I hope to be able to spend a bit more time down there once we've moved back to our house (which is only
    15 mins away).

Later did some kickboxing stuff with my youngest who's expressing an interest again after a bit of a break -she has a wicked turning kick and is developing a nice snappy jab/cross !
    Late walk with dog 25mins .No need for torch-beautiful bright moon,clear sky.

16. belltoller

Good deal! I'll wager you feel a might better about things after having the session with him.

Its always in the back of your mind "am I doing it right...what about...and what about..." has the effect of impeding one's progress - you second guess your form past a certain point and you end up not going full on - like hesitating and second guessing when you're in the ring...won't do for results.

I really need to do something along those lines as well.

17. ned

ned Valued Member

03/march
    Managed to get away from work while it was still light,got home and took dog out just as dusk was falling ;

1m (mixed in some sprints)
    circuit x3 (no pauses) squat/leg raises/press ups/starjumps/crunches x10 each
    1m (increased pace,sprint finish vs dog last 50m)

later,taiji class.

18. ned

ned Valued Member

08/march
    Yesterday worked a half day then trained in afternoon, outside in warm sunshine with nice light breeze;
    core rotations,warm up,floor/wall stretches,stance drills,kicks
    taiji short forms,silk reeling,straight sword forms.
    Did some push hands with my shifu in preparation for competition next month.

today;morning group session at boxing club(3min rds,30sec break)
    3x skipping
    2x shadowbox
    4x on bags,rotating
    1min break
    4x padwork in pair (2 on,2 off)
    2x on bags

set of mainly abs type floor exercises; variations of leg/dorsal raises,
    crunches,press ups,squat thrusts.
    Floor stretches to finish

Did a bit more work on my wooden dummy this afternoon - base is now more or less complete with body attached (still have to mortice/peg the arms and make the leg).
    I'll add a pic later if I can .Another hectic week at work to follow but finish is in sight.

19. ned

ned Valued Member

As mentioned here is a pic of progress on my wooden dummy.Base now just needs 3"x1" fixing round edge making a tray for weights/bag of sand.
    I used a base jack for a scaffold tower which has a 6" squate plate with a 24" spigot on it.
    That fits through the ply base and has a piece of scaffold tube fitted over it.
    I fixed two lengths of threaded bar into the body then drilled corresponding holes through both tubes.
    Next up ; cut tenons on arms to length,mortice and peg at back, to finish make leg,probably by glue laminating several pieces or if I can find a piece the right shape, in
    the traditional way of a naturally shaped length of branch.
    Hope to start my dummy training this spring.

Attached Files:

20. ned

ned Valued Member

18/march
    Finally finished recent work project which has all but stopped recent activity.
    Still carried on with taiji training throughout , stepping up fixed and free
    push hands practice of late . Got about a month until first competition , luckily I'm managing my own workload for a while so hopefully I can get back on track with general conditioning type stuff again -could also do with shifting a couple of pounds if I'm to enter the same weight category as last year.

Today, got out for a run for the first time in about a fortnight ;
    3m , mixed up the pace and added some short hill sprints.

squats,leg raises,press ups,crunches,squat thrusts x10 each, 3 reps

bar complex ( + 20 kg ) 3 reps ;

squat x5
    clean and press x5
    bent over row x5
    front squat x5
    curl x5

pair db's (6kg each) 5 reps ;

standing flies x3
    chest flies x3
    hammer curls x3

single db (10kg)