ned's get physical

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by ned, Jan 6, 2014.

1. ned

ned Valued Member

I've only done sunday morning sessions so far (-the weekday evening sessions clash with my other classes) which fit in well with my routine and I'd only be lounging in bed otherwise.
    Guess in the mornings I'm generally fresher than at the end of a day's work
    so my performance would probably be better am than pm ? :dunno:
    Given the choice I'd rather train during the day and outside. This time of year daylight is precious and even though I tell myself the days are getting longer it does'nt feel like it on these cold,dark January mornings!

Been experiencing some spasmodic lower back pain at the moment so it's ibuprofen,liniment and
    lots of gentle stretching.Don't know whether it's from work or training-either way it sucks :( .
    I've had similar episodes in the past,according to the doc it's always been muscle fatigue built up over a period before a slight movement can cause the locking up-usually sorts itself out after a couple of days,fingers crossed.

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

You and Fish. Those can be bad. I pulled a muscle in the centre of my back years ago at work and I thought the muscle-lock downs would never end. Would have to crawl from the bed to the loo.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

*back-five*

4. ned

ned Valued Member

17/jan
    Since my last post(monday)my back has improved but is still sore and I've done no classes or training of any sort this week although I've still been at work;of course this week I had to fit a new staircase :( !
    My wife has been telling me off, saying I'm over-doing it with working and training.
    I justify it by saying that training helps me keep fit and able for work(as well
    as keeping me relaxed/less stressed) but perhaps she has a point.
    It feels like I've sprained a specific muscle this time rather than a more generalised area of lower back fatigue, and it has taken longer than in the past to improve.
    Will carry on with gentle stretching and my taiji for now, also try to get more sleep,eat better,drink more water and all that simple stuff I tend to forget.

5. belltoller

Are you still having muscle spasms? If there's no swelling then moist heat applied a couple of times a day might help.

6. ned

ned Valued Member

Thankfully the spasms have stopped but I still have a dull ache from what feels like a bruised/pulled muscle.
    By the middle of the working day I can hardly feel it but first thing in the morning (and after driving) I'm still a bit delicate,but it's easing up for sure thanks mate,helped by ibuprofen and liniment.

7. ned

ned Valued Member

26/jan
    Still recovering from recent episode of lower back pain.Done no training in two weeks
    (other than gentle stretching and some taiji) and had the end of last week off work to give it some time to heal .
    My immediate aim is just to concentrate on getting back to full flexibility and to forget about cardio or strength training for now.
    My weight has crept up since end of last year( 11st. 5lbs-quite a gain.since I competed at
    approx 10st 10lbs in april last year),made worse by the recent inactivity.
    The only way to tackle this at the moment is by reducing my intake of all those
    indulgences I've been used to off-setting(terrible I know)
    by running,skipping etc.
    This I"ve been doing this last week,along with earlier bedtime,morning stretch routine
    and more water etc .Will start taiji class again tonight and feel my way slowly back into some sort of routine again,with long term aim of being fit and able for
    competitions in april/june.

8. belltoller

That sounds so easy, donnit? No so much day to day. My how our constitution screams bloody murder when we cut back, lol. Then it gets downright vindictive and wants to punish us by reducing our energy levels - "sanctions on you for not feeding me", lol.

9. ned

ned Valued Member

03/feb
    Been a slow recovery from my back injury this time but am finally feeling a lot
    more relaxed and less tensed up at the base of my spine
    Taiji class last night and I was able to join in kicks which was impossible last week,also did some sword work so I feel things are slowly getting back to normal.
    My new pledge of moderation seems to be having an effect as I'm back down to
    a more reasonable 11st 1lb .Plan to start a bit of skipping and light circuit work in the next few days if the improvement continues,then get back to boxing sessions on sunday mornings-fingers crossed.
    Just got some extra help at work so hopefully can reduce some of the load there-
    been feeling my age recently !!

10. belltoller

Lets avoid terms like "feeling my age" It occurred to me that 20 yr old's pull muscles and are out of commission with painfully slow rehabs.

Have ya come up with a plan to do anything differently to prevent (or reduce the chances) of it happening again? Those are rough - I had one years ago and I still remember how bad it was.

11. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Capoeira! Best back rehab I've ever had. Spent years and tons of cash on physios, a few cartwheels and handstands later and I've never been better.

(Yoga was good too, but I want to see Ned do a hand spring :) )

12. belltoller

Seriously? I'd not thought of that one, lol! I dunno, when I pulled the muscle just the thought of doing a Aú sem mao woulda sent me into a spasm.

I take it you mean after recovery - as a preventative, then?

13. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Yeah - as a preventive! Hah.

I've had back problems for years, basically due to a weak core and poor flexibility. I honestly think that capoeira helped all that. A lot of the acrobatic movements help core strength and they're very similar to the primal movements that have been discussed on MAP. Just my opinion, but I think they help keep you mobile and loose.

And obviously a lot of the kicking techniques and acrobatics help flexibility. And the flexibility isn't just stretching your shoulders and hams during a warm up. It's an all over stretch and mobility work for the length of the class...a little like yoga even.

I did capoeira for about a year and stopped about a year ago. It wasn't until about 2 weeks ago that I started getting lower back stiffness and pains...but then again, walking the brats is about as much exercise as I get these days.

Obviously if it's a problem with the spine or something....that's a different story.

Time for you to start capoeira too! :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  14. ned

ned Valued Member

I think that the cause is to do with heavy working/long hours etc. putting a strain on certain muscles,causing others to compensate
    In this way,what I think might be a trigger - heavy upper body lifting/leaning,puts a strain on the lower back.
    Certain types of work or tools are worse for this - using a heavy nail gun for days on end is tiring and involves awkward movements,often at a stretch.
    Prolonged spells behind the wheel are another factor.
    Learning to recognise the early signs of this stress (and not ignoring it,as I have been accused of :eek: ) would help.

I think that at least in part,it can be caused or aggravated by mental rather than physical stress , so simply being relaxed and taking more time over things (more so at work ; avoiding rushed,awkward movements etc.) would also help - I'd like to think that my taiji practice is an aid to recovery and prevention in this respect.

Thought I'd get myself a foam roller,if anyone has any recommendations.
    Also,a friend of my wife's (like her, rhumatoid arthritis sufferer) said
    a tens machine can be very effective but I'll keep that ace
    tucked away for now in case of future need (hopefully not) !

15. belltoller

Ya know, I wouldna be against it in principal.

The other day I was at the gym where one of my bairns plays in his basketball league - they also have a big gymnastics section there right in front when you first walk into the rec building.

As I was waiting for the kid to finish his practice, I looked over at the young un's doing gymnastics and thought to meself - "hey, I aint get any younger, if I wait too much longer I might not be flexible enough to start."

So I walked over to the admin table and asked what I needed to do to sign up for intro classes.

"Do you mean for your child, sir?"

"No, I mean for myself"

They looked at me ever so long and didn't say a word, nary a word.

I warn't too serious, of course, just being belltoller but their mechanical, humorless reaction put me off badly.

It took all of my self control to not turn round and point at the bench full of suburbanites gorging themselves on high calorie cake with their bakes wide open, telling each other what they know - and say "how many of those have gymnastics rings in their homes and can climb up on 'em for a bit?"

Wouldna registered the point, anyroad. Not gonna turn any lighbulbs on here.

16. ned

ned Valued Member

17. ned

ned Valued Member

08/feb
    Am session at boxing gym ;

3min rds on bell,30 sec break

4x skipping
    4x shadowbox
    6x on bags,rotating

2x padwork(partner calling shots,moving round,checking your cover,adjusting form)
    2x padwork(holding mitts)

2x ceiling to floor ball (setting up right with jab,adding left hook)
    2x " " double end bag (mainly body,hooks)

circuit;
    50x press ups
    25x sit ups
    50x press ups
    25x leg raises
    50x press ups
    25x star jumps

50x squats
    25x crunches
    50x squats
    25x squat thrusts
    50x squats
    25x burpees

First proper training in about 3 weeks - felt good !
    Later ran with little dog ; 2m cross-country; muddy,beautiful evening

ba duan jin
    silk reeling, bit of lao joia
    core rotations/stretching

18. belltoller

I'll bet it did. Your back feel any of it afterwards?

19. ned

ned Valued Member

No twinges - did'nt feel I was making any compensation for it,just got
    on with the session :eek: .
    I was happy that my absence had been noted and they seemed glad to see me back
    -there's a good atmosphere at the gym; everyone working together with a serious but relaxed attitude to training and a hardcore work ethic.

20. belltoller

Those are hard to find - too many things have to come together at once to make for a good training gym