ned's get physical

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by ned, Jan 6, 2014.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Do you run with a leash?

The last time I ran with Lazy Sod, he caught the scent of a nearby rabbit while we were running on a dirt and rock trail in the woods of a nearby park.

He took off like a bat out of the depths of Hades with his leash wrapped snugly around my hand and wrist ... must've drug me a quarter of a kilometre down hill and over a big tree root I went.

I'd always wanted to do a front flip ... but not on my face

2. ned

ned Valued Member

Love to have witnessed that ! :p
    I take a lead but only in case of livestock or other walkers.I have to keep her close as she is a keen sniffer and tends to take off into the undergrowth.When it's early evening and getting dark it's easy for her to dissapear-if I have the older dog with me she usually knows what direction she's in and will lead me to her.Unfortunately she's been retired from running now and only comes on walks so I end up screaming and whistling in the gloaming !

3. ned

ned Valued Member

09/nov
    sat; spent day back at our house clearing/sorting/skipping it's contents in preparation for building work to start soon.
    You've no idea how much clothes,books,toys and well,just stuff,a wife and three daughters can accumulate over (nearly) 20 years !!
    20 min walk for dogs during a break from the torrential rain in the evening.

today;clearing loft :eek: .Took the opportunity for a run at the old airfield

1m
    squat,leg raise,press up(fingers) 10:1
    1m
    30x squats
    30x twisting crunches
    30x leg raises
    30x press ups(fists)
    side planks 90 secs,front plank 90 secs(cont.)
    1m

back at my dad's
    warm up 5 mins skipping

back squat 2x5 x10(kgs)
    1x5 x 20/22/25/30
    3x5 x35

press 2x5 x10
    1x5 x20
    3x5 x22

front squat 2x5 x10
    1x5 x20/22/25
    3x5 x30

d/lift 3x5 x40
    pendelay row 3x5 x40

ba duan jin,taiji forms,5mins standing meditation

4. ned

ned Valued Member

11/nov
    Yesterday;walked dogs 25 mins.
    3mins skipping,2 mins shadow box
    repeat x2
    ba duan jin
    taiji; laojoia ,pau chui

today;2.5m run with dog(dark,wet and windy)
    4x chin ups
    5mins skipping
    kicks each leg,low to high(heavy bag)
    30x turning
    30x hook
    30x side
    30x front
    30x thai
    10 mins skipping
    5x pull ups

5. belltoller

Your legs always been fairly close together in strength, speed or did you have to develop one o'r the other'n?

6. ned

ned Valued Member

The only noticeable difference is with turning kicks where my left leg is weaker and I generally aim at ribs or lower,esp.when at short range.
    Otherwise they're fairly evenly matched,tend to use a lot of front push kicks and low side kicks to supplement the jab and keep people at range,generally kicks in my style are low to mid height although when timing is right I can use turning kicks and hooks effectively at longer range(I like a turning hook after a feignt/ step back to make a little space).

Good news about your heart prognosis mate,time to dust down your log ! :)

7. belltoller

Thank you kindly, Ned. Log? Me? Arrgh-ah-arrgh-ah-arrgh! I'm not much for keeping regular logs and journals and so forth, but after I finish my little workout area in our basement, I'll be more in a position to do it. I suppose I could go with the boxing class routines that I have - or will have now that I'm good to go back.

8. ned

ned Valued Member

14/nov
    weds;25min walk dogs
    back squat
    2x5 x10(kg)
    1x5 x20/24/32
    3x5 x37

oh press
    2x5 x10
    1x5 x20
    3x5 x24

front squat
    2x5x10
    1x5 x20/24
    3x5 x32

deadlift/pendelay rows
    3x5 x43

today; shorter but quicker run with dogs,1.5m
    15mins skipping
    back squat
    3x5 x10
    1x5 x20/24/30/32
    3x5 x37

oh press
    2x5 x10
    1x5 x20
    3x5 x24

front press
    2x5 x10
    1x5 x20/24/30
    3x5 x32

clean
    2x5 x10
    1x5 x20/24
    3x5 x30

core/joint rotations
    ba duan jin

9. ned

ned Valued Member

16/nov
    sat;worked till 4,back in time for run with dog,3.5m cross-country

today;did a session at my local boxing club this morning which I've been meaning to check out for a while.Lots of different bags,ring,weights area,
    decent music and a 3 min bell with 30 sec break.

6x3 rounds skipping
    1min break
    6x3 rounds shadowbox
    1min break
    8x3 rounds on bags,rotating
    1min break
    6x3 rounds padwork

circuit training,repeat x2
    10x pull ups on rings(managed 5 and did leg raises for the rest:eek:)
    40x leg raises
    40x sit ups
    20x squats
    20x lunges
    20x press ups
    40x dorsal raises

3x rounds skipping

Got some good advice(tightening up my guard)and seemed a friendly atmosphere so hope to try and do a regular sunday session.
    Next week will be late nights at work with a deadline at the end of the month
    (refurbishing rooms in a hotel)so I probably wont have much to log :(

10. belltoller

Man, the little gym I've been putting up has turned unexpectedly into a significant project :( Stabilising the ceiling joists has been a chore. I thought a few right-angle iron plate's woulda done the job but when the bastards put down the upper floor (kitchen, dinning room) they must've missed hitting the lower joists by every other nail. I'm having to cut and install blocks for every single beam. Of course, each beam to beam location differs as much as quarter inch - so I'm having to measure and cut a different one each time :cry:

I don't know if I'll finish it :bang:

11. ned

ned Valued Member

From your pics it looks like you could do with some noggins between rhe joists
    which would brace and strengthen the floor upstairs.
    Usually they're the same section as the joists,fitted between crossways.
    In older houses (here at least) you sometimes find herringbone struts,two pcs of 2"x1"in a "x" between the joists that do the same job.
    Maybe just concentrate on one area at a time-all you really need is a rope and a bag :)

12. belltoller

Ja, you are right - I'm more'n good with a skip rope and a heavy bag - its a matter of completing what I started now.
    That's what I've been putting up - since they didn't tie the joists to the upper floor properly, I'm having to do all of the joists ( there's a good many not pictured ) and being a bit loud about it. ;)

I've been attempting some gymnastic ring work - man, is that taking every bit I have and more, lol.

13. ned

ned Valued Member

23/nov
    Last week was a write off training wise as I had to work 12 hour days every day bar tuesday, when I sneaked off early to get to taiji class(mainly working on sections 1&2 of Pau Chui).Of course the dogs get their walk whatever the weather or time I get home.
    Today I did another early morning session at my local boxing club,similar routine to last week but numbers were low so I did'nt have a partner for any padwork.Spoke to the other coach who said I should be good to start some sparring after I get a few more sessions in.

3min rounds,30 sec break, on bell

3x skipping
    3x shadowbox
    1min break
    5x on bags
    1min break
    5x bags

circuit x 2

10x pull ups on rings(managed 5,then leg raises.Second round had a big tyre to push off and with some assistance ground out 10)
    40x leg raises
    20x squats
    20x lunges
    20x press ups
    30x dorsal raises

Later back home;
    taiji forms
    10 mins on heavy bag,strikes/conditioning no gloves-sunfist, heel palms,
    back fist,ridge arm,elbows

run with dog,cross country 1.5m

picking up where I left off;
    back squat 2x5 x10
    1x5 x20/24/35
    3x5 x39

oh press 2x5 x10
    1x5 x20
    3x5 x24

front squat 2x5 x10
    1x5 x20/24
    3x5 x35

d/lift,pendelay row 3x5 x45

Last week before deadline at work,looking forward to end of the month when things will get back to normal.
    Finally have price/schedule agreed with builders and should have contact
    signed and start date sorted this week.All the familly are ready for it and looking forward to a last christmas at my dad's then moving back to our old house/garden/village/friends.

14. ned

ned Valued Member

30/nov
    Much like last week, late nights at work(69 hours :zzz:)-finally finished the room refurbishments at the hotel I've been working at, last night at 11pm.

Managed to get to taiji class on tuesday but nothing else (apart from walking dogs)until today when I did another session at my local boxing club;
    3min rounds,30 sec break, on bell

3x shadowbox
    3x on bags, rotating
    1 min break

then worked in group of three;
    two in ring(one gloves,one pads)other running up stairs,rotating x6
    1 min break
    on bag rotating,one holding,one hitting,other doing squats/leg raises etc x3

3x on bags,rotating

circuit(just one);
    pull ups on rings x10(4, rest leg raises)
    squats x40
    leg raises x40
    lunges x20
    press ups x20
    dorsal raises x40 (killer these)

skipping x3

later,run with dog(going soft to muddy) 3m straight

free weights;not been able to keep to plan but anyhow
    back squat
    2x5 x10 (kilos,not inc. bar)
    1x5 x20/24/30/35
    3x5 x39

oh press
    2x5 x10
    1x5 x20
    3x5 x24

front squat
    2x5 x10
    1x5 x20/24/30
    3x5 x35

clean
    2x5 x10
    1x5 x20/24
    3x5 x30

core rotations
    ba duan jin
    pau chui(taiji)

15. belltoller

Those are some ungodly hours you're putting in. Even by American standards. Hats off to you. Most'd be too paggered to hit the gym after a monster like that.

Didn't know you were a boxer :)
    Howay man! A man o' the rings!

:hail:

Your ring pull-up set's puttin' me to shame :(

16. ned

ned Valued Member

17. belltoller

oooh...posh...nice pay for a commercial job like that.

That's not the world-famous Oxford University Amateur Boxing Club, issit? ;)

18. ned

ned Valued Member

No,although as far as I know OUABC is open to the local community and I
    seem to remember a few years back a workmate in Oxford being a member and boxing for them.
    Although the varsity match against Cambridge is it's most high profile fixture,it also has matches against other local ABC's and the annual 'town vs gown' event,against opposition drawn from local clubs such as the one I've been training at,Bicester boxing club

19. belltoller

They'd filmed a documentary on OUABC a few years back - me and one of the bairns watched it early one Saturday morning.

Actually looked like a lot of stress for some of the fellows competing in it - but it was a lot of fun for others.

You could tell they did a bit of growing up as a result of what they went through competing there at Oxford.

20. ned

ned Valued Member

03/dec
    Monday;
    5mins skipping
    5mins on bag
    5mins skipping
    5mins on bag
    stretches
    Walk dogs,20 mins.

Finally signed contract with builders-work to begin next monday, on grandpa annexe and other alterations at our house.Scheduled to move back, early april-can't wait.

Tuesday;
    run with dog,2m (using my old fishing head torch, found while clearing out garage)
    later,taiji class.

Today;
    run with dog.1,.5m

bar;
    back squat 2x5 x10
    1x5 x20/24/35
    3x5 x39

oh press 2x5 x10
    1x5 x20
    3x5 x24

ft. press 2x5 x10
    1x5 x20/24