ned's get physical

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by ned, Jan 6, 2014.

1. ned

ned Valued Member

13/august
    Had a quiet few weeks (regular classes,daily running with skipping,core/strength exercises alternate days), am managing to stick to a new short morning pre-work routine; ba duan jin, taiji forms,stretches etc .

After focusing the first half of the year more on cardio/stamina with the goal of a couple of push hands competitions,since around june I've been spending more time on my flexibility generally, which has started to have noticeable results (with the added benefit of improving my form).

I've decided to retire my older dog from running with me; last few months or so she's begun lagging further and further behind and the day following a longer run on sunday (back at the old airfield) she was limping slightly and obviously in some discomfort :( . She's still in great shape overall for her
    age (10) but from now on it'll be just me and the young one running, just relaxed walks for her.

Not resumed any weights yet but off on holiday next week during which time I hope to properly digest 'starting strength' finally and devise a plan to resume on my return.

2. ned

ned Valued Member

25/aug
    Back from a weeks stay with all my extended familly, in a boathouse on a
    beautiful cove in south cornwall.
    Had a brilliant time swimming,snorkelling,kayaking,walking and cowrie hunting with my kids.Other highlights were a sushi dinner my eldest daughter cooked with a couple of dozen mackeral I caught on a handline off a kayak,
    (huge numbers around the coast at the moment apparently)and a campfire on the beach with roasted marshmallows and a late night dip for the brave !

I also did some running (on the coast path which had plenty of steep sections and steps) daily stretching routine and some taiji.
    I spent some time studying starting strength to get a weights plan together for after my return which I'll outline for scrutiny/suggestions.

It suits me to keep it simple so since my class days are tuesday and thursday
    I'll stick to his suggested monday,wednesday,friday format,alternating
    between;
    A squat / press / deadlift
    B squat/ bench press/ clean

Thought I'd just add chin/pull ups to this,like he says;
    "if in doubt,leave it out.Ha."

Plan is to start the work sets(after the warm ups) at a weight slightly less than my last session
    and add each session at the suggested levels for 'ahem' older folk i.e
    squat/clean/deadlift 2kg, presses 1kg.
    At this rate the weights I have at the moment will be insufficient in a couple of weeks so I'll need to get some more to carry on at home(my only option).
    That said,It might be that having done my own routine before I might be further down the road to what he calls, 'periodization' i.e, when these additions can no longer be sustained-time will tell !
    At that point would I be better thinking of a routine based on conditioning rather than strength building or is the latter still sustainable at my age ?

3. ned

ned Valued Member

6 months later,I've finally got round to morticing the holes in the (telegraph)
    pole.
    As the pic shows,I made a long ply box and fixed the pole inside with a square
    plate either end.
    I marked the centreline front and back and marked the positions of the mortices,then drilled from either side with a sharp auger bit.
    Then I used firstly a router (for the first inch or so) and then a long chisel to square it through.
    Next job-get some nice hardwood planed up and then tenon and shape the arms and leg.I'm planning to fit a bottom plate so I can have it fixed to a base outside or mounted on a wooden,moveable tripod stand weighted with sand bags for inside.

Not much different to report training wise . My eldest daughter has been back after a break( A'levels,work, bf etc ) at taiji class which is great and both she and her sister are making good progress with push hands.
    Still not resumed any weights but hope to get going again next week,initially with SS format but will probably end up with a more endurance based routine as before(due to lack of proper equipment and weights at the moment)

Attached Files:

4. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I'd think strength is attainable at our age...attainable from a previously conditioned body, that is.

I'm going into the early stages of a rather long conditioning programme myself, with the goal of doing a final run for as much strength gains as possible after I feel I've done everything conditioning wise to prevent the increasing likelihood of sustaining injuries via conditioning.

I was wondering when you'd get 'round to making Mokujin. That's some serious material removal there getting through the telegraph pole. How'd you mount that monster? Did you have access to a lumber-mill table or did you use portable tools?

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Yes strength is attainable and sustainable
    I currently lift with a masters 2 (50 plus, almost 60) lifter who started powerlifting when he turned 50, he currently benchs 120kg, squats 190kg and deadlifts well over 210kg, and he had never touched a weight in his life before he turned 50

6. ned

ned Valued Member

Did it all on a pair of trestles with power drill,router and hand tools- a bench morticer would make it easier but be awkward with the large ply box which is necessary for accurate setting out.
    I have used a chain morticer at work which would be ideal but the minimum cut is 1/2" too big.

Good luck with the conditioning programme,glad to hear you're making plans,I trust you'll be keeping us updated on your log-hope to return some of the support you've shown me this year :)

7. ned

ned Valued Member

What with long hours at work(another pub/hotel refurbishment) and hectic familly life,training has been reduced to usual classes and a base level of morning stretching/taiji and evening running,with a little skipping,circuit training.
    Expecting to start work on a new annexe for my dad at our house in the next month,hopefully to be in early spring,which will be better for all,and tbh,a bit overdue.
    In taiji i've completed the whole of lao joia for the first time which is a bit of a milestone,also started the first couple of sections of pau chui(cannon fist).
    Also been concentrating more on moving tui shou,from drills and free,building on the fixed ph stuff I'm more used to,which I'm enjoying.
    Will be at the cultural festival organised by shaolin temple uk next weekend where my middle daughter will be competing(hand and weapon forms) in a kung fu competition organised by shifu shi yan zi.
    I considered then rejected the idea of entering the fighting comp as it was such short notice and I've had no preparation time,especially since it's K1,
    so maybe next year.
    Finally picked up my new longboard;it's a shorty with a cut out tail,really quick and turny,so been spending some time down at the bowl with the kids.... just another middle age shredder :cool:, please excuse the builders bum :p

ps. props to my mates at roots longboards

Attached Files:

8. belltoller

You're havin lots of fun Ned. The way it ought to be for us all.

That's some longboard - longboard cut short and a cutout - gives it agility and retains stability - havin' your pie and eatin' it too! I'd love to see that, man.

god bless

You call that a bum?!? There' nary enough meat to satisfy a vegetarian, man.

Just dern't have a sit-down while yer riding that shark :p

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  9. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Yeah, looks awesome!

I'm totally annoyed that the weather has turned bad here, so the board is now stashed away. There's an indoor place and one of my mates goes there. He's an old skin (the good type) and did a lot of Muay Thai, so it's riding and good chats about training and tunes! But the place is just too pokey for a longboard!

10. ned

ned Valued Member

We're enjoying an indian summer here so are making the most of it whilst it's dry,
    my pals at roots longboards have floodlights for late night sessions into the autumn.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9wDY2nHmxU

Its a pretty cool scene,a mix of mainly youngsters;teens ,early twenties and a few diehard
    middle aged shredders like myself.I"ve met some interesting characters over the last few months,all just digging the same uninterrupted concrete surf !
    My kids are loving it too and are starting to rip it up with the best of 'em,which is great
    cos it takes a bit of nerve and is'nt for the faint hearted.There also a couple of downhill
    spots nearby for when you have a need for speed :p

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  11. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Not much for shorties these days but I have to have two of these...one for decoration and one for riding :p. It's a prototype, but I hope they make some old school shapes.

Attached Files:

12. ned

ned Valued Member

01/nov
    Home training has been minimal for the last 6 weeks or so,due to long hours at work,shorter days, familly stuff etc.
    Much of my time and effort has been involved in preparations for planned alterations to our house so we (my familly and my dad ) can move back in,
    hopefully around march next year.All being well work will start in the next couple of weeks.
    I've been enjoying reading back over my log and am glad it's there as a record of the level of cardio I've maintained over the year.As I said,that level has dropped off in the last month or so and now I'm planning on slowly building it up again with the goal of a couple of push hands competitions early next year(and of course the MAP mini gathering !:D )
    I'm still very busy with work but am just going to get in what i can,when i can.

Friday I managed to get home early and took dog for a run,
    1.5m
    30x leg raises
    30x squats
    30x twisting crunches
    30x press ups
    90 secs (both) side planks
    90 secs front plank
    1.5m

today,was back clearing out house and did a little bit back in my shed for the first time in months( I miss my shed :( )

ba duan jin
    light stretching,core/joint ratations

heavy bag
    30x turning kicks (each leg)
    30x hook " " "
    30x front push/tan , low side/bong " "
    30x thai kicks " "

30x twisting crunches
    30x press ups(wrists)
    30x leg raises
    30x squats
    planks as for friday
    4x chins

20 min walk for dogs.Beautiful clear still evening,half moon but light enough to cast our shadows.
    Back at ours tomorrow;sorting,clearing and skipping stuff(hardly recognise the place half empty)so hopefully do some handwork on the bag and get a run in down the old airfield.

13. ned

ned Valued Member

04/nov
    sunday; evening run,found new slightly longer circular route,all cross country
    on bridleways and fields.
    1.75m
    press up,squat,leg raises 10:1
    1.75m

monday;
    ba duan jin
    qi gong(standing meditation) 5 mins
    silk reeling(taiji)
    5mins skipping
    5mins shadowbox
    repeat x2
    core/joint rotations
    stretches;floor,splits,standing

today;
    2mins skipping(alternate 30 secs footwork e.g khan khan ,30 secs sprint)
    2mins heavy bag(concentrating on footwork/head movement and snapping the jab)
    repeat x5

pull ups x5
    30xstarjumps
    30xleg raises
    30x squats
    30x press ups(fingers)
    90secs (both)side planks
    90 scs front plank
    chin ups x4

14. ned

ned Valued Member

05/nov(evening)
    25min walk with dogs

10 mins skipping
    chin ups x5

easing back into some lifts;
    back squat 2x5x10
    1x5x20
    1x5x25
    3x5x35
    press 2x5x10
    1x5x20
    2x5x22
    front squat 2x5x10
    1x5x20
    1x5x22
    3x5x25
    d/l 3x5x35
    pendelay row 3x5x35

pull ups x5

core/joint rotations

15. belltoller

Ned, I'm moddin' out part of the basement for a work-out room. Assuming I'm cleared by the heart speciality this morning [​IMG] I'll be catching up with youse!

16. ned

ned Valued Member

Excellent !! Whats the plan-you got space for hanging bag,weights rack etc ?
    I'm looking forward to reading your log and hearing how another old geezer keeps
    in shape and fighting fit :)
    (fingers crossed for the nod from your doc )

17. belltoller

Ja, man. The area you see in the photos that have the grey jigzaw mats on 'em cover an area of 20ft x 6ft x 10ft(h). That's about half the room, which is one of 4 mains rooms of the half-finished basemet.

I'm so bloody glad its only half - finished as its really allowed me access to all the headers, joists, plates and beams for getting the stuff up that I've been wanting to and giving me the vertical space for things such as skip-roping indoors, putting up rings and so forth.

I've one of the hanging bags up, a boxing reflex bag, the gymnastics rings up, a reflex wire attached to one of the upstairs floor joists and you can make out where I've attached 2 x 4 studs to the floor (ceiling) joists and have mounted a sturdy pull-up bar. I'm going to have to cut and install trusses between the beams where I've mounted the pull - up and especially where I've put up the gymnastics rings. That's a lot of torsion and horizontal strain with my 15.36 stone swinging on 'em like a mad gorilla, lol.

I've still a heavy MT bag to put up and I had to take down the speed bag and frame as I was unsatisfied with its location. I will probably put that up on the other side of the room after I finish putting down the mats - I was going to leave that side empty so the kids could have an unencumbered place to roll. Haven't decided on that yet.

In one photo you can see the smaller 70lb bag hanging in the distance; well just to the right is another room - which I've the bench and some weights and the rest of the jigsaw mats stored. I'm planning on making this the weight room. I've 8ft x 8ft x 10 ft of space to work with in this smaller room. The thing is this room has wood panel flooring that I'll have to take up, at least in part, if I want to have access to the cement floor to mount racks.

I need to come up with a good, solid, space-efficient idea for a rack and I'm sod-all preoccupied with other things in the rest of the house that need fixing, lol.

The wife's giving me grief about it "Why you do all this if you go to the boxing gym?" What can ya do, eh? ;)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

EDIT:

Ned, hope you don't mind me buggerin' up your log with pictures of my junk :)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  18. ned

ned Valued Member

Junk !! I'm seriously impressed mate,obviously not the first time you've set a gym up.
    My log would be pretty boring without your(and others)contributions and it all helps with the motivation needed to make progress. :)
    Having enough headroom to skip comfortably is an important factor-my shed roof is just
    high enough,more luck than judgement.Yet to set up a decent weight rack but my space is a bit more limited than you.One thing the yanks know is how to build a spacious basement.

19. belltoller

Thank you kindly, Ned. We were blessed to find the place. I've not had this sort of room before.

Its more basement than anything else. I think it was to have been a flat for the original owner's mother-in-law; she must've wielded a big stick in that family, lol.

20. ned

ned Valued Member

07/nov
    thursday;walk dogs 30 mins

5 mins skipping
    3mins shadowbox
    squat x30
    leg raises x30
    press up(wrists) x30
    twisting crunches x30
    side planks 90 secs,front plank 90 secs
    5 mins skipping