neck bridging dangerous?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by harhar, Oct 17, 2004.

1. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

I've heard neck bridging is dangerous and even if done correctly, its bad for your neck bone over time. If it really is bad, whats an alternate neck exercise I can use?

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

3. Mr. Anderson

Mr. Anderson Valued Member

Earlier this year I had some MRIs done to locate the reason for neck pain that I was suffering from. The Dr took one look at the MRIs and said 'You were a wrestler in high school weren't you?' He said I had a typical wrestler's neck, and even though that is probably not what caused the pain I am suffering from now, someday it will most likely give me problems. That is just my personal experience with bridging and neck bone damage, but I am unaware of better neck exercises.

4. ClubbellTrainer

ClubbellTrainer Fitness Coach

Neck bridging is a wrestling technique, not a fitness practice. :woo: Here's some articles suggesting reasons NOT to do neck bridging:

1.Green v. Orleans Parish School Board, La.App., 365 So.2d 834 (197 , plaintiff broke his neck and was paralyzed while performing a wrestler's "bridge" during a 30 second "free" wrestling drill in a physical education class in which the participants were well-conditioned football players.

http://classweb.gmu.edu/jkozlows/p&r196.htm

2.Mayo Clinic sports medicine doctors don't recommend this exercise because it puts excessive stress on the neck and can cause injury to the muscles and disks in the neck. Instead, they favor a variation of this exercise called simply bridging. In this exercise, your feet and shoulders contact the floor to better protect your neck.

http://www.ohiohealth.com/healthref...-4CFA-8D2B11EE4F7EBC60.htm?category=questions

If you want to mobilize and improve the health of your neck joints, here's an article on a better method:

http://www.circularstrengthmag.com/19/sonnon2.html

5. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

My coach has us do the bridging once every two weeks. He stresses that we should only do this in class and in a limited volume. He recommeds using weights to build the neck. The bridging is a training exercise for working on the mat.

6. salami

salami Banned Banned

Can you tell me what wrestling technique NECK bridging is used for(if possible post a link). I have never seen a wrestler bridging on his neck, but then again, I haven't been looking hard.

7. HapkidoScott

HapkidoScott Valued Member

I'm guessing that you've never wrestled(just asking not being a jerk)? Bridging is how you get your shoulder blades off the mat so you don't get pinned. You typically bridge and then depending on where the opponents weight is you try to use your hips and bridge together to roll to your chest and escape. I hope this helps its kind of difficult to describe.

8. salami

salami Banned Banned

Any chance you could show me a picture? (yep, I never wrestled :D , I'm not a martial artist actually, I'm just looking for info to convince my rugby playing budy the bridge is a crap exercise.)