neck and upper back

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by vernox, Aug 29, 2008.

  1. vernox

    vernox Valued Member

    I suffer from extreme pain in the region of my left shoulder blade and occasionally the back of the base of my neck (where it meets my back).

    my back: I have had a feel and it seems to be rather...lumpy. So im guessing its just muscle stress. Or possibly trapped nerves? What would be the best course of action?

    my neck is slightly more worrying. It feels like a head ache (but in my neck).

    the reason why im posting this in traditional healing is because i don't have the money to go and see a specialist, so i was wondering if there is anything i can do myself, at home?

    ty :)
  2. CosmicFish

    CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

    I hate to say it but whoever you visit is likely to charge you money. And I would recommend going to see a specialist of some sort. You could try your GP and ask to be referred to a specialist, but then you'll likely spend time waiting for the GP's appointment, time waiting for the specialist's appointment, etc. If you're in pain now with this sort of thing it's often better to suck up the expense somehow and go private.

    It sounds like it might be muscle tension or trigger points. Headaches can often be casued by stiff neck muscles. A sports massage therapist or someone trained in deep tissue massage might be able to help. Here in London, an hour's session will cost roughly £40-£50 and a half hour session usually in the £30 region. I'd strongly advise to go for the full hour on your first visit. If you're comfortable posting up roughly whereabouts you are in the UK, another MAPper who lives nearby may be able to recommend a good therapist and save you the hit and miss of trying to find a good one yourself.

    And if you really are adamant that you want to try to fix it at home then a good starting place is probably this book:

    But even that will cost you ~£11 plus postage, and there's no guarantee that it will necessarily address your problem. You might end up buying it for nothing.
  3. prowla

    prowla Valued Member

    It sounds like the sort of thing a physio could help with - I don't know if a visit to your GP would help get you a referral.
  4. vernox

    vernox Valued Member

    I see. Well, I thought this might be the case.
    Theres a sports therapist at the hotel round the corner, so i guess ill check him/her.
  5. rubberband

    rubberband Valued Member

    musculoskeletal issues are hard to figure out... especially when you don't know what aspects are the cause and what are mearly the bodies reactions to the underlying issue... a trained professional would be able to do the orthopedic tests to determine what is going on and design a treatment program for you... keep in mind that research indicates that you have three to four weeks to get the imbalance corrected or it will become chronic... I would recommend a chiropractor because I think you would get the best results from spinal manipulation as well as rehabilitation exercise, which current research suggests is the best course of correction for cervical issues such as yours...

    take care, steve
  6. flaming

    flaming Valued Member

    Try doing this. Move your neck gently. stand up make yourself as tall as possible stick your bum back and you chest up relax your knees. Touch your chin to your chest. Then turn your head to face sideways bringing your chin level to the ground at the same time . Stay tall while you do it. And dont et your chest or bum twist. Then return the motion facing the other way. You should feel a light stretch, In the back of your neck where it meets the skull.

    If you were able to follow that, did you notice any differences between each side?
  7. flaming

    flaming Valued Member

    I have a similar problem its caused by a lack of rotational mobility in my thorasic spine. Which was inhibiting my upper trapezius from elevating the scapula.
  8. reikislapper

    reikislapper see you on the flypaper

    It might also be how you stand as you can put pressure on your spine if your leaning to one side or the other too much.
    Try going for a massage as they might pick up some under lining problem with your muscles, especially if they are trained, otherwise ask for an appointment to see someone from the hospital as they are trained in the same way.

  9. K ROCK

    K ROCK Valued Member

    when i tore my trapezius,it felt something like you have any bruising in the area?

Share This Page