Necessity of traditional hand wrapping ...

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Thaiger, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Thaiger

Thaiger Valued Member

Am about to start Muay Thai training in earnest and am looking for advice here on hand protection/wrapping.

I've been looking at some of the stretchy,modern MMA type gloves and wraps.I think some of you will know these ones,The type with the gel insert across the knuckles.

I have a couple of newbies who I'm trying to interest in training and of course wish to avoid them picking up injury and seeing them put off etc.

So ...
    I can see the need to learn how to wrap traditionally as we progress,But what for some beginners pad/possibly light bag work to begin with.

What do we think about the gel gloves,and alternatively,do we have any recommendations as to gloves or way to go.

Cheers

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

They tend to have rubbish wrist support. Just teach them how to wrap their hands properly. They'll have it down in a couple of sessions.

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Wraps are always a good thing, you can add as much support to your wrist or to your thumb and also tightness to your preference. Its annoying wrapping it up again and having to uncrumple it etc.. but its only a few minutes and they'll get used to it.

4. Thaiger

Thaiger Valued Member

The ones I've been looking at have the looong velcro strap at the wrist.I got to try on a pair last night [Albeit a size too big] and even with the extra room I could still get decent wrist support.A pair in the correct size I think would be OK.

A couple of the lads who I train with already have these,and I thought I might recommend them to the 2 or 3 newbies I'm trying to get on board.I figured also that by us all having the same brand it would bring a little bit of club/uniform feel to the group.The idea also is to save time on some of what I see as the more niggling stuff and try to get the crew some striking techniques quickly so they maintain interest.

Thanks both.I've watched a few video tutorials on hand wrapping and am not so intimidated by this now.I'll order a pair to practice with and get a few versions down to memory so i can pass on to those who wish to go for the trad option or wish to learn eventually.

Many Thanks !

5. holyheadjch

What you think it a long strap and what I think is a long strap is probably a bit different. I use 180 inch wraps, which is roughly 4.5m. I strap my wrists quite heavy, so maybe half to two thirds of that is dedicated to wrist support. I'd be surprised if your gel wraps give you that much wrap.
    One thing I will say - I couldn't take a thai boxer seriously if they didn't know how to wrap their hands. It would be like a karateka not being able to tie their belt. They should know how to do it, even if they choose to wear the gel wraps.

6. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

That's a tough call on wraps. Others have given good advice but to give a different point of view. Wraps are not always good if these beginners are looking for self-defense in mind.

Wraps add support against injury, but they can also allow for beginners to punch too hard without learning proper alignment and conditioning/strength. Then when they punch something without wraps, they injury themselves because they don't know any better.

I pretty much discourage wraps for any training except when wearing competition gloves or if you are injured and need the wraps to help heal from injury.

I think, once someone has trained long enough both with wraps and gloves, and without wraps with bag gloves or barefisted, then they should have a good idea of how hard to hit and let the technique do the work... then they can choose how they want to train.

Beginners, however, should be conditioning to be able to hit things properly... not learning bad habits of punching harder just because they have wraps on and not knowing not to punch that hard without wraps. IMHO.

7. Thaiger

Thaiger Valued Member

The gloves I'd looked at have a much shorter ''wrap'' at the wrist,but it's considerably thicker than a bandage so is giving you comparable support.
    The velcro makes adjustment easy,and keeps things nicely in place at the wrist.

Eay to put on and take off quickly

No messing :)

8. holyheadjch

I don't even know where to begin tearing that apart. I need a TMA-induced-eyeroll emoticon.

The only punching you should be doing without wraps is the kind where you stand in a line and punch the air. If you are having beginners hit any kind of pad without protection on their hands, as far as I'm concerned you should be legally liable for any injury they incur as a result.

It's like having people spar without a gum shield so they know how hard they can get hit before they start swallowing teeth.

9. Thaiger

Thaiger Valued Member

Yep.Am looking at Muay Thai from a self defence perspective initially.

...Brilliant advice,Much gratitude.

Am thinking about something lighter now.Maybe the simple stretchy mitts to guard against any kind of skin abrasion and lend a little support to the hand.

I'd really like to recommend all protective gear to the participants initially.I think that after a little experience they'll be more inclined to ignore whatever minor injuries that are likely to come along with training.

10. Thaiger

Thaiger Valued Member

Sorry Dude,I was just putting in my last posting there and did'nt realise you'd put in a more recent reply.For whatever reason i can't get the multi-quote feature to work so was wrapped up [;)] in replying individually.

...We are not an official school or anything like that.Just a bunch of mates who get together to train when we can.
    I have a little experience of mixed styles myself,but my main interest at the moment is Muay Thai.

A main concern is to see the lads avoid any kind of injury through this as I'm the one who's setting up the MT specific training,and obviously want to avoid anyone become injured on my account.A couple of them are complete martial arts novices,and I do'nt want them hurt or put off by any preventable accident that might occur.

11. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Traditional hand wraps offer the additional benefit of being adaptable to where you want the support/how tight you wrap, etc.

12. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Wraps should always be worn when hitting pads and bags

13. Kave

Kave Lunatic

In my opinion, the purpose of wraps is not to protect your knuckles, the gloves can manage that. Wraps are there to support all the little bones in your hand and keep them all tightly bundled together. Wraps also need to support your wrist. I cannot understand what benefit is gained from gel protection across the knuckles, it seems like they are designed by someone with no understanding of the purpose wraps actually serve. Traditional wraps are much cheaper than the slip-on glove variant as well as being much more effective. The only advantage of glove-type wraps over traditional wraps is that you don't need to learn to wrap them, and they are quicker to put on. Given that it only takes two minutes to wrap your hands properly, the time shouldn't really be an issue.

Glove-style wraps are really designed for housewives in boxfit classes who have no intention of ever hitting anything, but want to look the part. If you ever intend to hit something or someone then buy some wraps and learn to use them.

14. Thaiger

Thaiger Valued Member

HA !,Got the multi-quote thing now !!.

Of course,I see.A custom fit can be achieved.

Will take your advice.
    ...Like the signature BTW :D

The gloves I'd been looking at initially are the MMA ones designed to be worn during fight.Was thinking of using these in conjunction with the heavy duty headguards [With the grill over the face],A couple of the lads already have these.

What I could do is show the options to the boys who still need kit and let them make up their own minds,?.

Thanks for the advice Kave.I buy the rest of the advice you offered.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Some women wear these at the "Fight Fit" class I used to go to.
    They are pretty much for show as far as I can see.
    Like when Billy Blanks used to wear yellow wraps in Tae-bo vids.
    It's to give the appearance of doing something combative without actually doing something combative.
    While I'm not so scrict as Holy on wearing wraps all of the time it really only takes a few goes (and then a few weeks to get right) to learn the wrap properly and will make your hands last much better than not wrapping them.
    I picked up some cheap ones from a JB sports that was closing down. Elastic jobbies. Not quite as long as I'd like but they do the job and are quick to get on.
    When I did Thai I liked wrapping my hands. Sort of like a little meditative ritual to get started.

16. holyheadjch

I dont think people need to wear wraps all the time, but if you're hitting a pad, a bag or a person, I think you're crazy if you don't wear wraps. There are 27 bones in the human hand, and it doesn't take much to break one of them. The wraps aid in keeping them all lined up and in position. Proper punching technique doesn't do that on it's own.

17. Thaiger

Thaiger Valued Member

I'd seen the elastic type and had been wondering about trying them.
    What's the deal with these ?.I'm guessing they do'nt offer the same support unless you wrap tighter/use longer ones.

Some others I looked at are reinforced with carbon fibre,Anyone tried these ?,
    ...And elasticated or not,What are the recommendations ?.

18. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Those things are terrible, they increase the leverage on the head and probably the risk of concussions, also they encourage people to walk through shots and block your vision so you get hit more. I'd stay the hell away from them, personally.

19. holyheadjch

I like them. You probably get slightly less support from them, but they are a lot more confortable to wear (and they're easier to put on because the elastic gives you some room for error).

20. Thaiger

Thaiger Valued Member

Wow,I had no idea there are so many.I've just had a look at a skeletal diagram and note the jumble of carpal bones there,Lots to go wrong in the hand it seems.

What are you most likely to damage in the hand by improper cushioning/wrapping.Are there any Thai Boxers here who have been unlucky to have done such a thing ?.

...Can see how serious this is now.I do'nt much like the idea of permanent injury to my hands,I do some watchmaking apart from anything else.