neat weapons for womens self defense

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by wayofthedragon, Nov 20, 2003.

1. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

2. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

3. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

That lipstick knife, ouch! Better be real careful not to slip up and try to use that on your lips!

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Looks kinda neat, but doesn't look like it would do much damage unless you jabbed it in a vital area like the eyes, or earholes.

Knives aren't a great option for self defence, unless you're trained well in them, its too easy to have them turned on you :(

I've got one of those really loud Rape Alarms. I tested it out one day, and I should imagine it would be good if you set it off in an attackers ear :D Lets just say it could wake the dead

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Just a stupid gimmick that will lead to a massive dose of false confidence.

6. hkphooey

hkphooey New Member

Please, lets not have the defeatist propaganda about using knives for self defense. 1) if you're being raped and beaten, what more could that person do to you if they took your own weapon. 2) the first time the attacker should know you have a knife is when it is nicely ripping their body. 3) If it is that easy for a person to take a knife from another, then just take the damn thing back.

I personally don't like little gimiks like that lip-stick knife though it could have a purpose. Holding lip-stick in your hand really isn't threatening and if you found yourself restrained by an attacker you could pop it open and start carving.....BUT.... Where are you going to have it; your hand, purse, car console? I'd recommend a knife with a clip and put that on you waist band.

Ken

7. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Ken,

The problem that I have with the lipstick knife is that as KGirl & Yoda suggested, it's blade size renders it all but useless. Yes it is possible that it could be used to attack the face. However as far as its stabbing and slashing potential to the body, I doubt, provided it penetrated the outer layers of clothing, that it would have either much penetration. And I severly doubt (other than stabbing someone in the neck or eye with it that it would have any stopping power. Additionally the lack of any real grip doesn't allow the wielder any leverage to put anything behind it.

I do agree that having a weapon easily available is preferable in a self defense situation, but this one ain't it.

- Matt

8. hkphooey

hkphooey New Member

I was really just trying to play the Devils advocate a little bit, as I said I really don't care too much for gimik weapons. the Blade is quite small so your targets would more narrow especially when heavily clothed.

edited: Like communism, it has a good idea but just can't hold up in the real world.

9. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I came across this cell phone stun gun .... Unique design gives you a tactical advantage with this Cell Phone Stun Gun. Personal Alarm and 180,000 volt stun gun with case. Introduced for the first time in the US (http://www.vipglobal.com/cellphone-stun-gun.htm )

what do u think

Last edited: Nov 21, 2003
  10. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

As it is illegal to carry anything with the intent of using it as a weapon (even in self-defence) in the UK I would suggest looking at things like:

keys
    pen
    walking stick
    umbrella
    car crook-lock (when you you're in the car)

That way you can have a weapon on you almost wherever you are, without having to make any particularly special preparations.

Mike

11. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

as for the UK your not even allowded a walking stick if you dont need to use it to stay upright and an old fashioned "hiking staff" is out of the question unfortunately. a good quality fountain pen can be a good stabber though + ink pooisoning for the evil sods.

12. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

I saw a neat anti-theft device fitted to some cars in South Africa.

It is a flame thrower fitted under the doors.... I'll see if I can find the link. I just WANT one of those!!

btw u should see what I carry in my handbag :D

[a ninjastick & kubotan, very handy!] and a set of arnis sticks in my car behind my seat, just in case.

I would suggest a handfull of pens as being useful weapons. Stab them many times!

13. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

14. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Its not defeatist propaganda, its true, they aren't good for self defence. Also they're really not much use unless you're 100% commited to using it if you have to. Too many people have a weapon, and think pointing it at an attacker is enough.

Oh, I don't know... stab you to death/physically scar you for life maybe?

That would need to be a pretty stealthy move to draw the weapon from wherever it was hidden, iand get the pointy end in your attacker without them noticing it first.

Not quite that simple, especially if they plan on stabbing you with it, and if they do it will be coming at you, pointy end first. Also, most attackers are male, and most guys are physically stronger than girls, making it hard to wrestle something off them.

P.S I know your playing Devils Advocate, I'm biting to get some friendly debate going ;)

15. hkphooey

hkphooey New Member

I'm not playing on this one.

Could someone take a knife from you? Sure.
    Is it easy in the middle of a fight? Not really.

What would you be doing with the knife? Are criminals the only people who can hold the knife pointy end out and thrusting & slashing at another person? No. Thats what you should be doing with it.

If a person male or female is not committed to saving their life or their families it doesn't matter if they have a weapon or not.

Training is always best, though there have been many cases where females have defended themselves with/without weapons and have never had any training. It was because they wanted to live, they did not want to be raped and it was that instinct that helped make them see the next day.

You advocate stun guns and tazers but not a knife. I don't know!
    Read my last post on the other thread about stun guns.

Ken

16. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

I think it depends. If you're not actually prepared to stick it in them they might be able to take it off you.

I learnt a long time not to pick up a weapon unless you're actually prepared to use it, and to use it without hesitation.

In the same way, don't do a joint lock unless you're actually prepared to break the joint. Otherwise what will you do when the other person just tries to muscle out of it?

Mike

17. RubyMoon

RubyMoon New Member

I think the best woman's self-defense weapon I've seen was created by a sword maker I once met at a renaissance fair. It was a hand-forged spike concealed in a decorative sheath worn around the neck like a pendant. When needed, the spike could be pulled from the sheath in one motion.

The idea is to jam the spike into your attacker's leg and run away. No fancy moves, no skill required. This is especially effective if the attacker is behind you, as is often the case. With your attacker crippled, escape will be much easier.

What really impressed me about this particular weapon was that the maker guaranteed to replace it for free if you ever actually had to use it in this way. That way there is no hesitation at losing it, just jam and run.

The simplicity of this makes a lot of sense to me.

18. SilverWolf

SilverWolf New Member

I sit even legal in the US to carry a knife strapped onto your belt in public? If it was I don't think I'd waste my time with a puny knife... (Broadsword! XD Just kidding)

19. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I don't know about the US, but it is illegal in the UK to carry a knife in public for the purpose of using it as an offensive weapon.

erm... No, I don't. Where exactly did I mention that? Tasers are very hit and miss, and stun guns need you to be close enough to stick it on them for those to work. I personally don't advocate carrying any weapon, but people will no matter what.

20. RubyMoon

RubyMoon New Member

The laws vary greatly from state to state. Usually, the length of the blade determines whether a knife is legal to carry or not. Also, switchblades are illegal pretty much everywhere. Some states have strict concealed weapon laws, while others actually seem to prefer concealement over open display. Intent may be considered when determining what constitutes "criminal" possession. Finally, most states strictly prohibit the possession of knives and other weapons on school grounds, often with very serious repercussions.