National Defense Authorization Act of 2012

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by campsinger, Dec 13, 2011.

1. campsinger

campsinger Valued Member

Hey, y'all...

I've been living under a rock for a while, so maybe y'all already know about this. If not, y'all might be interested in what our government leaders are trying to do to us. For those of us who have worn the uniform and fought for our freedoms, it is a slap in the face.

Check out Senator Rand Paul speaking about the National Defense Authorization Act of 2012 at http://vodpod.com/watch/15801319-ran...ion-act-112911 There has been a massive media blackout concerning this bill.

The Senate passed the bill 97-3 and it was sent to the House of Representatives.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  2. campsinger

campsinger Valued Member

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Land of the free, indeed.

4. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Interesting that the Republicans now complain about this, given that the suspension of due process was cheered by them when president Bush introduced measures like this. I fully agree with him though.

If there is proof that someone is guilty, then process him.
    If there is not a shred of evidence, then he walks.
    you can't hold people just because you have a hunch.

And in a sense...
    It's your own (US citizens) fault. More people die of food poisoning every year, than of terrorism even if 9/11 would happen every year.
    9/11 could happen every month and it would still have less victims than there are traffic fatalities.
    Yet terrorism has changed the way you live, travel, vote etc.

Politicians create these laws because the majority of the people support them.

5. holyheadjch

Or to put it a little more bluntly. Al Qaeda have already won. You just haven't realised it yet.

6. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

That's a very powerful statement, and one I happen to agree with. Every time I go to the airport I'm reminded of how insignificant my freedoms are. :cool: Hitler would design his security around the TSA's no doubt. :cool:

7. leftwingtaoist

leftwingtaoist Valued Member

once you have a system in place for detaining external enemies, it will work wanders for internal enemies of the state as well. i am so happy that i don't live in the land of the free.
    by the way, the al qaeda, is that the same al qaeda that was formed and trained by CIA? if so who is winning? i know american citizens and all the other ordinary people in the world are loosing, but who is winning? who is benefiting from all this chaos that was created in the world? who is making money out of it? these are the questions that we should be sking ourselves. follow the money.

8. holyheadjch

Rachel Maddow did a segment a few months ago where she went through each of Bin Laden's stated objectives for 9/11 and showed how the US had fulfilled them all through domestic and foreign policy.

9. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Time to restore America!

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

It's not just the USA, either. We've seen similar things here, in terms of our civil liberties being restricted in the name of greater security.

11. leftwingtaoist

Johnno

the question that no one is asking is who's security?

12. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

OK, I'll sake it. Whose security?

13. leftwingtaoist

Stupid word for windows, still doesn’t know how to spell.
    Well it certainly is not my or yours. If our freedom is restricted, someone else’s power is enlarged.
    Look at what is happening in Europe now. Its good bye democracy welcome back feudalism. The financial oligarchy, the unseen “markets” are holding world in their hand. They have no country, no loyalty except to themselves. They don’t care if Americans or Serbians or Irish or Afghani people die as long as they make money. So far they were ruling covertly. I believe they have reached the concentration of power that allows them to step out and demand the absolute power openly. And they will actually make people ask them to take power. its like star wars. Just my opinion.

14. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

So in a nutshell, are you saying that real power lies in the hands of the multinational companies and multimillionaire investors? Because if you are, then you have just realised the truth that most of us discover at some point in our lives. It's how the world has always worked.

15. leftwingtaoist

yep. but how many people you know who realise that. that is the problem.

16. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

cynical thread is cynical.

17. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Why does America need this?

18. leftwingtaoist

19. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

20. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Well haven't you seen all the fuss over SOPA? News coverage is bad for a government controlled by lobbyists.