Narrow grip pull up.Dangerous?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by hottdogg, Aug 13, 2007.

1. hottdogg

hottdogg Valued Member

Hi all!

I want to do pull up but all I can get access to pull up is using stair.
    You know, doing pull up by hanging on one edgy side of the stair step, with hands side by side very close to each other(the width between hands will be smaller than my torso width ) if you know what I mean...
    yup, My grip will l be narrow, My fingers can get really hurt and eventually will develop calluse, can get slip, my forearm will be resting on stair wall frame.
    I hope this explanation is clear.

My question:
    Is narrow grip pull up dangerous in context of the effect of the grip width to the whole body?

Tnx in advance.

2. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

YOUR narrow grip pull up is dangerous, all that balancing and gripping and stuff. Get a pull up bar in a doorway.
    As for in general.....no, palms facing inwards narrow grip is a good exercise for back and biceps.

3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

No trees near your house?

4. Blake_AE

Blake_AE Valued Member

He is saying palms facing out narrow grip. I still don't believe this to be dangerous, but perhaps uncomfortable. I like my "narrow grip" pull-ups to still use a shoulder width grip.

The stairwell thing isn't the best idea. I've done it but would not use it regularly. Canadian Tire has a door frame pull-up bar for $15. I'm sure you can find something similar around where you are. Walmart must have one as well.

5. hottdogg

hottdogg Valued Member

Ok,thanks for the reply..oh,my palms of course facing down holding on the stair but I guess I won't do it again.

6. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

not from argos.... your asking for trouble!

7. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Anything from Argos is trouble....
    But thats another story altogether.

8. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Yeah, tompain works there :D :Angel:

9. hottdogg

hottdogg Valued Member

uhhmmm....what is argos ?

10. Jack_Brando

Jack_Brando New Member

only if you over do it, most people are paranoid and if it is a strange way of doing an exercise heath morons think it will kill you, rip your muscles and stuff up, if you over do it, over train, or develope the muscles un parallel, then that could be a problem, use a tree if no bar. I use a brick wall IN the hill in my back yard

11. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

a sort of superstore in England... they sell cheap crappy workout gear