names of kenpo techniques?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by TenTigers, Jul 15, 2007.

1. TenTigers

TenTigers Valued Member

anyone know why certain techniques were given stheir names? I for the life of me can't see why passing the horizon was called that. Where's the horizon? What are you passing? What other obscure names can you come up with, and yet find their reason?

2. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I think the Kenpo Kards that EP Jr came up with to show his talents and to continue the legacy of his father was/is a good idea. They explain the terms and the techniques associated with them.

Others thoughts:
    http://www.kenpokards.com/endorse.php

Gary

3. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Ed Parker used a consistent vocabulary in his tech names, some of which is:

storm - club
    rod - gun
    branch - leg
    sword - open hand strike
    mace - punch

try asking over at kenpotalk.com

4. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Sounds like you are running off of a Tracy curricullum. You will see several references to Parker nomenclature, well, unfortunately the Tracy's don't follow that. Some make sense, others.... don't.

Names I have no clue why they were named that way:
    Gathering Clouds
    Passing Wind (what were they thinking?)
    Lotus
    Shaolin Warrior
    Legions of Ming
    and I could go on....

5. TenTigers

TenTigers Valued Member

I remember when my teacher taught me "Plucking a Bird from the Sky" and prefaced by saying "The Masters must've been smoking alot of opium when they thought this one up.." :D

6. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Answer: Too much asianfilia fueled by cheesy retro chop-socky kung fu movies.

7. shaolinmonkmark

shaolinmonkmark Valued Member

I have a couple "Named" kempos

here are some "Named" kempo's i have:

Avenging Leopard
    Seven Sword hands
    8 leopard attacks
    dance of death
    Circular pendulum of Death
    Wolf leaning on the rail
    Tiger retreats from his den
    Hands turn into Axes
    Monkey steals Plumbs (ouch, my nuts!!! )
    5 circling tigers
    Breaking Branches
    Destroying the Pillars
    Breaking the Will
    Thundering Hammers
    Wounded Tiger

Thats all right now i can think of "Weird-named-kempos"
    Sorry for rambling, i will shut up now!

8. blindside

blindside Valued Member

That one actually make sense to me, since its major move involves throwing someone down onto the ground.

9. blindside

blindside Valued Member

I don't necessarily disagree, but its a heck of alot easier for me to remember "Thundering Hammers" than "punch defense 23."

Lamont

10. Gufbal1981

Gufbal1981 waiting to train...

I saw breaking the wind instead of breaking the will

11. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

That would be the deadly.

12. KempoFist

I like jab-cross-cut kick-double underhooks-drive to floor-mount-Ground n' pound-take his woman

13. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Anything with a pulse will do for you KF. :p

14. KempoFist

Stop throwing yourself at me. Have some self respect.

15. shaolinmonkmark

To Guf:

To Guf:
    No, i was taught " Breaking the Will ",
    Not breaking the wind ( sounds like a fart, perhaps?)
    Breaking the will starts as this:
    You have right leg back, hands on guard:
    As opponent punches in with right cross and steps in with right foot,
    Simultaneously deliver a left frontball(or front thrust kick) to opponents'left knee cap while simultaneously delivering a #2 ridge hand block to opponent's right wrist.
    As you step down with left leg, right ridge hand to groin,followed by left cross hand shuto to opponent's throat, followed by right thrust punch to solars, followed by left reverse tiger claw to opponet's groin, followed by right tiger claw to opponent's face.(Practice this fluidly, and you will gain speed with your hands, also,hold the right claw on opponent's face, to dig into opponent's eyes, and set up for next part!)
    Next, right leg steps up( or half moons up) and hocks right leg of opponent.
    Drop right knee into opponent's groin, and right as their head pops up, deliver a right thrust punch to face(careful not to hit their face as to your hand smashing the ground, it's more like a quick jab!)
    Follow by right axe kick to face, plant same leg next to opponent's head, rising axe kick with left leg, between the eyes of opponent.Optional ( my favorite!) as you cross, hands on guard, cross with a crescent kick to opponent's temple.(this turns their head the other direction!)
    Now, i hope this helps all.

16. Gufbal1981

Mark,

I read it wrong. I had to read it like 5 times before I read it correctly.

17. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

"As opponent punches in with right cross and steps in with right foot,
    Simultaneously deliver a left frontball(or front thrust kick) to opponents'left knee cap while simultaneously delivering a #2 ridge hand block to opponent's right wrist.
    As you step down with left leg"

left kick with outward left ridgehand? And I'm assuming from the following right strike to the groin that you are stepping back with the left leg, not step-through with the kick?

Maybe I am just imaginingit wrong, but it sounds unstable, I don't see how you can get any kind of strength or structure into either the kick or the block, what's going to stop his momentum from knocking you over? Got any video please??

18. shaolinmonkmark

i do not have video, but...

I do not have video, but i will say that the actual technique is just a quick frontball with left foot to kneecap and step down.(thrust kick would crumble opponent, in my opinion)
    If you practice this kempo slowly, then see the principles behind it, you will see what i am saying.It took me literally about 50 times to practice before i got the principle and flow behind it down.Although i will admit, for me to practice on the left side, i am working on the takedown part of it,left sided, still.
    Enjoy!
    And if you do practice this kempo, remember to practice slowly.
    It is kind of like an iron fortress block ,
    ( right leg with elbow resting on kneecap) but the left hand is in reverse ridge hand fashion.

19. shaolinmonkmark

sorry guf, Let me know when you are coming down ok?

20. Gufbal1981

will do, mark...