Name of Forms...

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Kwajman, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Hi, I've been asked by a cousin in Georgia about my TKD forms. What kind do we do in our school? Well I told her the names of the forms, and she said, 'Oh those are the taegue forms or some such name. I knew there were different types of forms for ITF, WTF, but I never knew the official "Kind" of forms that I do. The names of my forms are Chon Ji, Do San, Yul Guk, and others. What is the "name" of these forms? Thanks to all of you who may answer in advance.

2. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Smile, laugh, be happy!

They sound to be the 'original' ITF tul/forms.

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

We refer to them as the Chang Hun hyungs in our school or "Blue Cottage" forms and were created by General Choi Hong Hi, known as "the father of Tae Kwon Do".
    The Forms of Tae Kwon Do

4. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

WTF forms are:

Taeguk il jang 1
    Taeguk yi jang 2
    Taeguk sam jang 3
    Taeguk sa jang 4
    Taeguk oh jang 5.... and so on

check out the following site..u have all the names but u can also see the Taeguk done http://www.academictaekwondo.com/poosme2.htm

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

The WTF uses Poomses for patterns. Poomses originate from the book 'I Ching', a Chinese oracle. The I Ching has 64 hexagrams, a combination of two sets of three lines, closed or broken. The sets of three lines are called trigrams. The closed lines represent Yang, the open lines Yin. In the chinese language, the unity of Yin and Yang is called 'taich'i'.
    In the Korean language, the unity is called T'ae-guk. This explains the term Poomse Taeguk. The eight trigrams together are called Pal-gwe as in Poomse Palgwe...
    Both Palgwe's and Taeguk's are numbered from one to eight. After this point, there is no longer a difference between the patterns.

ITF has 24 patterns (or Tuls) representing the 24 hours of the day. There are 10 patterns for the first black belt, at which point the student moves from being a `beginner' to a `novice'.

The primary difference between ITF and WTF is that ITF uses a stepping movement for all hand techniques.

6. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

Kickchick, I'm impressed with your knowledge of the Taegeuk and from the I Ching, I find it's very rare to find someone who has even some knowledge of it even in the WTF. You don't happen to know all the different taegeuk symbolisms too do you?

7. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Poomse Taeguk/Palgwe Il Jang ... Heaven
    (South, Father) The first Taeguk/Palgwe is the beginning of all Poomses. The associated trigram represents Yang (heaven, light),

Poomse Taeguk/Palgwe Ee Jang ... Lake
    (South East, Youngest daughter) In the depths of the lake are treasures and mysteries.

Poomse Taeguk/Palgwe Sam Jang ... Fire
    (East, Second daughter)

Poomse Taeguk/Palgwe Sa Jang ... Thunder
    (North East, Eldest son)

Poomse Taeguk/Palgwe Oh Jang ... Wind
    (South West, Eldest daughter)

Poomse Taeguk/Palgwe Yook Jang ... Water
    (West, Second son)

Poomse Taeguk/Palgwe Chil Jang ... Mountain
    (North West, Youngest son)

Poomse Taeguk/Palgwe Pal Jang ... Earth
    (North, Mother) The associated trigram of this Poomse is Yin: the end of the beginning, the evil part of all that is good. Even in this darkness, there is still some light.

8. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

Cool, now here's a question . . . We practice these taegeuk patterns in something we call natural order. Little bit different from the numerical order . . . if you had to, judging by your different representations, how would you do these forms in order?

KC I I gotta say I'm excited about this thread. I tried getting a conversation like this going in the philosophy section before you were on MAP I believe. :D

9. flyingblackbelt

flyingblackbelt New Member

KickChick, I am very impressed with youre knowledge of the entire Tae-Kwon-Do system. You definately know more then I, and should be an instructor.

10. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i agree that Kickchick knows a lot, and it's really great to have people like her here, but i am also a little bit surprised (in a negative way, i have to say) because there are people here who train TKD and who don't know the basic things, and many of those people have been training it for years. my instructor told us all about the above discussed things, the patterns, the meanings etc and i do the same with my students. i think it's only logical to add an explanation before actually starting those forms. and this does not only refer to forms but to everything else done in training sessions. but i have noticed that many people are not interested in such things, and by this i mean both instructors and students, which is actually a pity!

11. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Well, since I don't personally practice these forms ... in which order do you perform these forms Artikon?

Good... let's let it roll!!

I made it a point throughout the years of training in TKD to read and find out as much as I could on my own. I wanted to know the differences between ITF and WTF... (when I actually found out that there were different "styles"... I never knew that earlier in my training!).
    Many students to this day in my own school aren't even aware... but it doesn't 'matter' to them, they really aren't that interested in that aspect of the art and are only there to train physically. Is that wrong? hmmm.....

I agree with you neryo_tkd that think it's only logical to add an explanation doing forms and also explain applications of techniques.... not just performing with no sense of a reason behind them.

Unfortunately yes it is true many of the schools only focus on teaching TKD and do not offer any instruction on the history etc...
    but that shouldn't stop an individuals hunger to learn if he/she truly want to ... I am an example. Being active on forums in the last 4 years has increased my scope of learning and appreciation of all arts ... not just TKD!

... someday maybe!:)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2003
  12. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

great, i'm glad we see eye to eye on this one. i am probably lucky to have had an instructor whom i admire and who is a very skilled martial artist. whatever we did, he explained the purpose of it. he stressed the differences between street fighting, having to defend ur life and being at a competition. and i found/find that really great. why would i do something, if it doesn't make sense to me???? so, i am shocked when i read some of the posts here and find out that people don't have a clue about certain things after years and years of training, and not only that, they start spitting on TKD. people stop training it then!!! there are soooooo many martial arts out there and i am sure that everyone can find something for him/herself.
    i also do a lot of reading, focus mainly on TKD (but not only, lack of time is my problem sometimes) because i simply can't live without it and no matter how tired i am, when i enter the dojo and when i start training with my students, i feel so good and relaxed and have a lot of energy and motivation as if i have never had a worry in my entire life. and of course u have to approach ur students in a certain way, give them motivation sometimes and every now and then i have this feeling that a part of my energy is being transferred over to them. i don't know if any of u really understand what i am trying to say and if anyone has felt this way.
    after reading the posts from people who come from different countries i have realised that there are many differences in the way the training sessions are organized, belts are tested, colours used etc etc
    ....and...one more thing Kickchick I read some of ur articles...i loved the one on injuries...unfortunately i don't have enough time to read all of them at once, but eventually....
    and i fully support what u r doing when advising people to check in. hope the monthly list will be finished shortly. some of my friends will be joining us soon :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2003