Namby Pamby self defence training, how to take ANYONE down in 4 seconds </bs>

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by CobraMaximus, Nov 28, 2004.

1. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

This karate/self defence class was run for a while somewhere near me and promised this and I thought instantly 'no chance' so didn't bother going. Low and behold a few weeks later this pansy I know from air cadets says if I attacked him he would have me screaming in pain in seconds. Now, set the picutre. He is 2 inches taller than me and I only weigh 45kg. So he says attack me. I snap out a strait jab and stop it 1/4 inch from his face and he says 'no thats cheating' and obviously im like 'what the hell'
    He says 'Attack my like in a headlock'
    I concur and put a headlock on him which he tries to get out of.
    Attempt No. 1 - He breaks free so I turn and make it into a guillotine choke which he taps out of verbally. I quote 'OMG let me go <profanity and gibbering> </profanity and gibbering>'

Attempt No. 2 I decide just to use some strength and he is trying to get it off. He tries to elbow me and grab my leg and god knows what else and he cant do anything about it so he decides to try something else.

He says he could easily wrestle me to the ground. He tries to grip onto me but just stepping away breaks it then he tries some sort of over hip takedown which once again I just step away from. He then tries to jump and flatten me with a headlock thingie or whatever the heck it was he was trying. Using minimal effort I gave him a little push and he fell over. Dunno bout you but this amazing self defence class obviously didn't work.

He then says he knows an unstoppable take down. Just to fill you in the floor of this part of the hut was smooth buffed linoleum. He runs at me an attempts a Spear, I step aside and am accused of cheating...again :confused:

He tries it again so I stick my leg out and he goes skidding accross the floor. Apparently a man who attacks you on the street wouldn't attempt to block this move in any sort of way and would allow you to get 20ft away from him. :p

Now, this defence class seems a bit screwed. Guess who it wsa taught by?
    An ex. Blue belt at my karate class who thought he knew it all and completd maybe half a year of actualyl training?

Funny some things

2. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Just another one of those ultimate self defence class for people who are too lazy to train and really believe it is possible to take anyone down in 4 seconds. Its kind of sad really.

3. Kosh

Kosh New Member

Though funnily it is possible to 'take down' almost anyone in a few seconds. But it takes training and...more training. I think people get confused between learning something and learning how to do something. If you know what i mean. I do but i cant explain it too well. Like the difference between learning a poem and learning to ride a bike.

Just a thought.

4. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

So...if two people attend the same course and meet in the street who will take down who in 4 seconds? ... :D

5. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

This story is amusing and saddening at the same time. People like that are so naive, and the question of what they will do when someone isn't just going to let them do their moves just doesn't enter their head. What would he have done if you were seriously hurting him, maybe even putting his life in danger? Would he have just stood there and accused you of cheating?

What you say about his takedown attempts couldn't make a better point. I think it's always valuable to use your moves against a resisting opponent, but with grappling it's even more important because it's so easy to avoid takedowns if your opponent doesn't know how to use them properly. Without wanting to offend anyone, this is why I PERSONALLY PREFER judo to the ju jutsu club at my university - you learn how to position people for a takedown rather than just learning the moves.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  6. Gortov

Gortov New Member

Whist this is a funny story it is equally scary when you think that decent people who just want to learn a bit of self defense get sold this BS. If anything it puts them in more danger because instead of talking out of a situation or being assertive they think they are safe using these techniques. I personally think laws should be so tight as to prevent scammers like this chump from selling his rubbish. Jail sentences would stop a fair few of them I would think. Currently you can pretty much get away with selling any "self defense" idea because people willingly pay for it. Sad world we live in with people like this taking advantage of people.

7. Wynnston

Wynnston Member

I think people who know they have no self defence knowledge are in a better position than people who think they have self defence knowledge. When confronted, the former would probably run like hell whereas the latter might be tempted to say "Drop the bottle sonny, I don't want to hurt you" followed by screaming all the way to A&E.

I put myself in the 'no self defence knowledge' camp and will stay that way until I find a reputable self defence class - probably through MAP.

W

8. TwIsT

TwIsT Son Of Odin!

"If you can't deal with them in eight seconds your not doing it right" A quote i live by.

You can put someone out in 4 seconds if you know how/have a good teacher and your a good student etc...

This course makes me laugh. Aha ahaha ahahahahaea