Nam Yang Tiger-Crane, is it Hung Gar?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Sandy, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Hi, I was looking for good books (or any books) about Tiger-Crane and came across the Nam Yang association. Is this Hung Gar by another name?

www.namyang.co.uk/learn-martial-arts/articles/founding-tiger-crane-kung-fu.php

Can anyone help? I'm now totally confused!

I see there's a tiger-crane form in some styles, but I presume this isn't the same as the tiger-crane style per se.

:confused:

Also, can anyone recommend any good books (or DVDs) on this?

2. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Talk to Snoop on here. He used to train with these peeps.

I believe that this Tiger-Crane system is completely unrelated to Hung Gar if that is what you are truly looking for. There are clubs in the London area.

powchoy

3. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Fu Hok that's not Hung Kuen? Haven't heard of that one yet.

4. Late for dinner

5. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Help! I'm still confused ...

:confused: Hmm, now I'm confused again ... Does this mean that Nam Yang is Tiger-Crane, but Hung Gar is a different Tiger-Crane?

How many Tiger-Crane styles are there? :confused:

... And does anyone know how much they differ from other Crane styles, such as White Crane?

6. Late for dinner

Yup lots of Tiger Crane systems. Hung gar is Hung family boxing. You will see Tiger and Crane but depending on the lineage you will also see 5 Animals/5 Elements or just 5 Animals so not just Tiger Crane ;' ).

powchoy

7. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

This is not Hung Gar. Looks like a mixture of elements from several Northern and Southern systems, bits and pieces of Chow Gar and Fujian Bai He strewn about, and some TKD-style punches and kicks thrown in.

People can call what they do whatever they want. Calling it Tiger-Crane doesnt mean anything. If you get caught up in the latest names, youll go crazy, just stop worrying about it is my best advice...

8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

We discussed this a few months back in Slip's Northern/Southern Kung Fu Migration or whatever it was called thread.

This system has an origin story which is recognizable as the same as Fu Hok's. Best guess is that it comes from the same background but like many village systems it developed on its own over the years.

PD,how the heck can you tell if they're using TKD punches?

Okay class, today's pop quiz question---

What's the difference between a Gung Fu punch and a TKD punch?

The former has no power.

The latter doesn't exist.

:hat:

9. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

From everything I've seen of them their core art appears to be Yongchun Crane, but then they also have a village Hung type "Shaolin weapons" system.

10. PlumDragon

I suppose it had something to do with the occasional reverse punches and side chamber from a front stance. Are there Chinese systems that do this? Sure. But its less characteristic of Chinese systems and thats really the point worth mentioning.

It doesnt really matter whether you want to argue about what its called or what style it came from--fact is, its a mixture of all kinds of stuff and there are *obvious* distinctions as such in that video...

11. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

Fu Hok Serng Ying Kuen i do this form with alot of dynamic tention and as far as i know it is a hung gar form.

I think this means tiger and crane double animal form.

12. Ben Gash CLF

Pretty much all Fujian systems do this. As they're the source arts for Okinawan karate and therefore Japanese Karate and TKD, it's not surprising that they look somewhat like them.

13. PlumDragon

Some of the Fujian systems chamber like that, but they do not adapt the deep front stances. Nor do they kick the way that was displayed in the video.

14. Ben Gash CLF

You're a funny guy.

15. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

The Tiger/Crane style of Nam Yang is very different from Hung Gar. Its basically southern White Crane with harder elements from a Tiger style incorperated. The styles it most resembles that I have seen are Yong Chun White Crane (great resource on that style here: http://fujianbaihe.com/fujianbaihe/index.html) and Okanawan Karate. With the former generally being softer and the latter harder.

There are no books or DVDs available that I am aware of. The best thing to do would be to get to class to see what you think. My friend Sam teaches in Brighton, not sure how far that is from you? I visited last Thursday and did his Chinese Kickboxing class - great fun :)

Thef full list of schools is here: www.namyang.co.uk/martial-arts-clubs/index.php

Theres alot more history/info on this site: www.namyang1954.com/

16. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Is this a small world?

Hi Snoop, this could be a small world ... did we roll and spar together last Thursday?

I'm the guy returning to training after a bit of a break, who had done some BJJ. I had a nice flowing stand-up sparring with a guy with a boxing/MMA background ... was this you?

Yeah, Sam's San Da class is good fun :cool:
    His class sparked my curiosity about Nam Yang as a whole; hence this post. Though I don't know if adding traditional training would be for me or not ... ?

17. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

lol, crazy! yep I think it was, I'm guessing you were the chap with the Rival gloves? Just shows martial arts are a small world!

The sticking and pushing hands we did before the sparring in the class on Thursday are a large part of the kung fu training so you already sampled that. The forms I don't do much of now but which I think were good for me in terms of getting stronger and developing powerful strikes. I know quite a few guys, like myself, who have gone more towards the combat sports side of things who will say the same about the NY forms.

Best thing is to try one of the classes and see if you find it a time productive way to train. You won't be taught any bad habits, and will get a good workout even if you think its not for you.

18. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Yep, that's me! Crazy small world, eh? I enjoyed sparring with you.

Thanks for the info on the traditional side. Interesting that you found forms helpful in developing striking for combat sports. It's the first time I've heard that, but I guess San Da is unusual in coming from CMA. Still, if it works for Cung Le ...

Those Rival gloves are brilliant. I give Rival 8.5/10 for quality, compared to 9/10 I'd give to Fairtex and 10/10 for posh stuff like Grant. For technical innovation, however, I give Rival a 10 out of 10. Rival's Ergo strap is the first system I've tried that gives some protection to my wrists. Rival's new stuff for 2011 looks awesome but not cheap ... time to get saving/ask Santa for next year ...

I've not seen Punchtown gloves for real, so don't know their quality. But on paper the Punchtown BXR mk II glove looks almost as good for wrist protection:
    www.punchtowngear.com/GLOVES-Boxing-Gloves/Fracture/BXR-eX_ct10bd4pd43.htm

Happy Christmas and hope to see you at Sam's class again sometime!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  19. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Rival gloves are awesome. If you want to try something Thai I recommend Top King Air gloves, they use what's called "neoprene" technology, but in simple terms it's just a multi-layered mesh to give the glove much-needed and quite a bit of extra ventilation.

20. Talion_uk

Talion_uk Valued Member

Nam Yang & FWC Kung Fu Organisations

Regarding the Tiger-Crane and Sun Frost White Crane styles, there is a fairly local club that teaches these, but it's part of a different organisation headed by a Sifu Ngo. http://www.fwckungfu.com

Does anyone know if the styles taught are essentially the same in both organisations, or are there major differences in syllabus?

Thanks for your input, and I hope everyone has a happy New Year.